ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (36/67) > >>

Carol Haynes:
MS and Logitech drivers don't always play nice together!

f0dder:
MS and Logitech drivers don't always play nice together!-Carol Haynes (December 29, 2008, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
I haven't installed mouse or keyboard specific drivers for years :) - but I only do use the standard multimedia keys that is natively supported in XP, and I don't need tons of mouse buttons either. I've never been a fan of the keyboard and mouse "drivers" (which afaik don't even include driver components these days, but is more like always-running apps that intercept keys/buttons and launch applications/whatever), especially logitech have been really good at creating monster bloatware.

Carol Haynes:
I have a 5 button mouse and AFAIK it isn't really possible to program the side keys without a driver installed.

Lashiec:
Question:
Is there any reason why I would want a wired keyboard?  I'm not a gamer, and from my initial research, it seems that all the premium keyboards are targeted to gamers and they are wired.  I love wireless keyboards, but I'm not finding many choices besides one or two from Logitech and Microsoft.
-superboyac (December 28, 2008, 01:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not really, apart from not having to recharge batteries, and avoiding possible receptions problems. The first concern can't be helped, but keyboard batteries last quite a bit (except in my case, I have to recharge them once every three-four weeks) and they get recharged in less than one hour, and if you buy a decent keyboard, you won't have reception problems. Those things have large reception ranges, and obstacles rarely get in the way of their waves.

Genius or Saitek also have wireless keyboards, although I ignore how good they are. Saitek has a good reputation, but in gaming keyboards, not regular ones.

I haven't installed mouse or keyboard specific drivers for years :) - but I only do use the standard multimedia keys that is natively supported in XP, and I don't need tons of mouse buttons either. I've never been a fan of the keyboard and mouse "drivers" (which afaik don't even include driver components these days, but is more like always-running apps that intercept keys/buttons and launch applications/whatever), especially logitech have been really good at creating monster bloatware.
-f0dder (December 29, 2008, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

SetPoint is surprisingly lean, as long as you disable a couple of autostart items, it provides good help with media players and they let you access many functions that would go unused otherwise (including encryption, for the paranoids :D). Their visual cues for using certain keys could be a bit less obnoxious (they take a good chunk of the screen), but they're mostly OK.

superboyac:
i advise matching keyboard+mouse company: ie get mouse+keyboard both from MS or both from Logitech.  As for corded keyboard -- don't know why you would want anything else.
-mouser (December 29, 2008, 12:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I guess I'll get a corded keyboard.  I don't really move my keyboard, and the corded options are better.  I'll probably get this Logitech Wave keyboard.  It seems pretty cool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version