ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (31/67) > >>

mouser:
Carol's point is good -- a canon all in one might be a very good bet.  figure out if you are likely to do more plain printing (laser printer) or scanning/faxing/colorprinting (all in one inkjet).  Either way, you can get one pretty small and cheap.

cranioscopical:
Printers are so cheap now that it's barely worth what you save by eliminating them.

I, too, have an MX850.  It does a great job. Can't recommend it too much. I highly recommend it.

My opinion, though, is that you ALSO need at least a small laser printer.
They have so small a footprint now, and cost so little, that they must represent one of the all-time bargains in computer peripherals.
Staples was almost giving away the Samsung ML-2xxx family recently -- about $60 Canadian.  (I had to restrain myself from buying a skid full.)
I bought one for my wife a year ago. She doesn't print a huge amount, but there's no sign of the initial toner running low. Its print quality is virtually as good as that from my serious HP LaserJet

superboyac:
Well...maybe.  It's just that I so rarely have to print at home.  But ok, I'll get one if I must.  I have my own work printer.

Of course, I will only consider laser printers.  I hate inkjets with a passion.

The other thing I was thinking about.  I may be moving soon, and when I move I'll really need a printer.  I was thinking I don't need an additional thing to lug around.  But that's a little trivial, it's so little.  Whatever...I'll stick it back in I suppose.

40hz:
Of course, I will only consider laser printers.  I hate inkjets with a passion.
-superboyac (December 24, 2008, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

At last! Somebody else feels like I do about inkjets. And all this time I thought I was so alone! ;D

Just a thought*: check for LOCAL availability of supplies before you settle on a specific printer. Nothing is worse than running out of toner and not being able to score a replacement cartridge at your local discount office supply store. Second worse thing is ghosting your front window all morning waiting for the Fedex guy to show up with one.

Of course, if you're not as slipshod as I am about paying attention to low-toner alerts, then this probably won't be an issue for you. ;D

----------
* Actually, that's not true. I didn't just casually think of that. I've said the same thing  in other DC forum posts. But it's still advice worth  repeating - so there!

superboyac:
oh yeah!  I can't stand inkjets.  Their only use is for affordable color printing, and even laser colors are catching up in affordability now.  I'm not too concerned about low toner...I don't print much at all at home anyway, seriously, I print maybe once a month if that.  That's why I may not even get one.  All my printing is done at work, and it's all work stuff, not personal.  What do I need to print?  I can't even think of anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version