ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > FARR Plugins and Aliases

FARR plugin: Akete

<< < (8/14) > >>

nitrix-ud:
very nice plugin  :D
plugins that enhance core FARR features are great  :Thmbsup:

let me suggest the following feature that i would love to see :

what if we could specify what application to run based on the file's folder

[Akete]
    C:\_joker\lnk=C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe

would mean every file inside C:\_joker\lnk should be opened with notepad++

that would gives us even more power !

Keep up the good work
nitrix

ewemoa:
Interesting idea.

If this were to be implemented, I wonder if it might work better to do it with something like:

[Akete.Folders]
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator=C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe

One thing to consider is what to do about files in subfolders...

On a tangential note, I wonder if having something like:

[Akete.Variables]
$np=C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe

might allow one to do something like:

[Akete.Folders]
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator=$np

If this were doable, it might make some of the existing functionality a little nicer.  That's off the top of my head though -- probably a good idea to explore the consequences and practicality a bit more.

nitrix-ud:
any implementation would please me  :D

my goal is to simplify my workflow when using FARR ...

i have several aliases with action and folder modifiers (ex : Favorites search $$1 | dosearch +folder_fav +open_fav -alias $$1)
having this folder-based configuration would remove the need for those aliases...
and therefore remove the need for the few first characters (to trigger the aliases...)

so much power, i would feel like a super hero  :-*

ewemoa:
I might consider working on an implementation, but at a minimum I think I'd like to convince myself of a coherent design.  If I don't understand how it is supposed to work, I'm not going to have an easy time getting it to work, nor maintain :)

Another potential issue that occurred to me is precedence.  It's not clear to me yet whether a folder setting should take precedence over a file extension setting or vice versa.  If "it depends", then coming up with a way of expressing which setting "wins" for a particular situation or for certain situations seems like a possible way out.

It seems to me that the idea (as I currently understand it) is not well-defined enough for an attempt at an implementation.  Perhaps I'll think of something -- or may be someone else will ;)

nitrix-ud:
you are right about precedence and in general about the fact that it is not trivial

the way i see it, is a bit dumb i must admit ;)

i simply told myself : that is a nice plugin ! what if we could trigger what application to run based on the file's path

it could be a completely different plugin with no connection whatsoever

when using Akete plugin, we are talking serious fine tuning and i believe that people that use it, know what they do
i will not ask for a refund if it creates some after effects ;)

as a simple example, please consider the following :

i have a folder named snippets with all sorts of code snippets inside...
i'd like to use FARR to search for one of them then copy its content to the clipboard thanks to an homemade .exe

with the Akete.folders ;) plugin i just do :

[Akete.Folders]
C:\Documents and Settings\My Snippets=C:\Program Files\copytoclip.exe

of course i could do it now with Akete, by specifying a special extension :
[Akete]
.snip=C:\Program Files\copytoclip.exe

but for some reason i would rather not go this path

so my suggestion is : if you do it, do it any way you see fit  :D

PS : It could also be part of FARR core-functions right within the Search folder interface...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version