ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommendations for small, 4-port USB hub?

(1/4) > >>

superboyac:
Can anyone recommend a USB hub for me?  I don't know what to look for and want to make sure to get a good one.  This one from newegg seems to be good:
D-Link 4-port USB hub

Thanks!

Deozaan:
I can't answer your question directly, but I can say that I purchased a D-Link router and a D-Link wireless network card and shortly thereafter when the two started causing BSODs and their support was anything but supporting, I decided to never buy another D-Link product again.

My experience with D-Link as a company and with their products has not been pleasant and at this time I would not recommend D-Link to anybody.

That's pretty much all I can contribute on the subject of USB hubs.

40hz:
From my experience, any of the major brands seem to work equally well. I tend to buy Belkin, more out of habit than for any solid technical reasons. I'd recommend getting one with an AC adaptor, or purchasing one to go along with it. I quickly discovered you'll need it more often than not.

I use this puppy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817394008

I bought it primarily for the two vertical plugs, since I do a lot of things with my collection of flash memory keys.

The only complaint I have with it is that it is very light. If you have some quality cables plugged in and hanging off the back of your desk, it tends to be dragged around. A hunk of masking tape solved the problem.

Nowadays, I have a 4-port PCI card and 4 more USB connectors on my mobo, so anything that tends to stay plugged in gets one of those ports. I also keep a multi-plug USB cable permanently attached to one of the ports on the mobo for anything that doesn't like to be on a hub.

If I were buying a new hub today, I'd probably go with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817394030

What I'd really like would be for someone to do this idea up as a 4-port USB + 2-port Firewire version; and include a multiple memory card reader socket. That would be too cool.

superboyac:
That looks real nice.  I used to tutor Belkin's kid in math in Manhattan Beach, CA.  Their house was full of Belkin stuff.  I even got a free wifi router at the time.  Thanks for the suggestion.

mouser:
i also have that belkin hub 40hz posted about and i agree with everything he said.  the one thing i can say is don't buy a hub that doesn't have it's own power supply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version