ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anonymous I-net surfing ?

(1/2) > >>

Lightening:

Does anyone have expertise in this area? 
Let's assume we all "delete all" of our browsing history and use CCLEANER before we log off each time for security reasons.  Lets also assume we are not doing anything illegal and we are not worried about someone in our household discovering where we went.  That said - Is there a reason a person needs to surf the net anonymously?  If the answer is yes, are there any software recommendations?  Over the last five years I have had my credit card number stolen twice.  Both times the banks told me it was part of a greater I-net scam of some type.  I lost nothing, the fradulent charges were taken off my account,  and the card numbers were changed.         Thoughts?  Thanks. :tellme:

housetier:
The question is: is there a reason to NOT surf anonymously? It is not "do I have something to hide" but "do I want EVERYONE to see it"?

However, anonymity is but one part of security. Using TOR you can cover your tracks a little better. But you also want to make sure to use https when submitting sensitive information; and always ask: "do they really really need this information"?

It were nice if we had secure communications (no sniffing agents in the middle) and plausible deniability (no officer, it wasn't me).

What we do have is a little more secure ways of communication (by encryption) but no plausible deniability.

However all this does not help, when the site we use is operated by less nice people. And we do not have a usable way of checking their credibility, their "reputation": certificates can be and are forged, DNS is poisoned.

All I can say is: be careful whom you are dealing with.

In German "Trau, schau wem"

f0dder:
I would never do anything involving credit card numbers or site logins using TOR, https or not.

housetier:
yes indeed, TOR can give one a false sense of security.

Stoic Joker:
Anonymous I-net surfing is a myth.

Every TCP/IP packet going from point A to point B contains the identifying IP address of both A & B, it's part of the protocol, there is no geting around it. Using a proxy only complicates things a bit...it doesn't make it impossible to identify you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version