ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2009

NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)

<< < (132/174) > >>

superboyac:
skwire, I know a user mentioned adding an alarm clock feature to trout.  Is this still planned?  I would really like one...soon  ;D .  My ipad is not a reliable alarm clock because of the way it handles background apps, and nobody has made a good jailbreak app for an alarm that runs in the background well.  Anyway, I'm planning on getting a netbook with Windows 7 and using it as an alarm clock.  I'm now looking at the different mp3 players and seeing which ones have alarm clock functionality (any suggestions anyone?).  But I'd figured I'd throw in my suggestion to you since I already know I like using Trout.

skwire:
skwire, I know a user mentioned adding an alarm clock feature to trout.  Is this still planned?-superboyac (February 13, 2011, 10:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope, I hadn't planned on adding this.  If you just want an alarm clock app that will play an MP3, I'm sure there are a myriad out there.  If you can't find one you like, I'll consider writing one for you.   :D

superboyac:
skwire, I know a user mentioned adding an alarm clock feature to trout.  Is this still planned?-superboyac (February 13, 2011, 10:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope, I hadn't planned on adding this.  If you just want an alarm clock app that will play an MP3, I'm sure there are a myriad out there.  If you can't find one you like, I'll consider writing one for you.   :D
-skwire (February 13, 2011, 10:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've probably spent a good 10-20 hours searching for one in the past year alone.  There's nothing that's all that great.  The best one i've come across is Alarm Clock Pro, which is primarily a Mac application, but the Windows version works well also.  The only problem is the way it handles playlists, which is the main thing that I'm looking for, and the reason why I haven't found any that can do it.  I think if you did one, it would be a fantastic idea.  Just as a preview, I'll give the basics of what I think it should be able to do:

Most alarm clock software can play a chime or something, that's easy.  Where they all fail is their handling of playlists, since it gets complicated once you start considering that the alarm software is not necessarily a music player.  So does it launch another player?  That's what most of them do, but the problem there is that you lose the snooze functionality.  The alarm program can't snooze another software, but it can snooze it's own built in chimes or other wave files.  That's why most of the programs out there suck, they haven't gone the extra length to handle snoozing of playlists. So they either have no playlist functionality or they do, but there's no snooze.  This is key to what I am looking for.
Also, the program should have a shuffle option.  i don't want to wake to the same music in the same order every day, and I don't want to change the order every day.  One option is to let the program launch the music player, like i said, but then how do you snooze it?
The other missing feature in most software is the scheduler for repetitive alarms.  They can all repeat every Friday, but can they repeat every other Friday?  Hmmm, that's the tough one.  To do that, you need to give the user the ability to set up weird repetitive cycles like that.  Alarm Clock Pro can do it in a funky way.  The best way i've seen it is on mylife organized, where the scheduler can be set to repeat "every X days", so if you set it to 14, it's every other Friday.  That's what I'm talking about.  i can post screenshots of all of these things if it will help.
So that's what it comes down to.  The distinguishing features are:
playlist support
shuffle feature
snooze capability for playlists
flexible repeat alarm scheduler (must cover all possibilities)

How's that?

skwire:
[...]
How's that?-superboyac (February 13, 2011, 11:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Waaaay out of scope of what I was thinking.   :huh:

superboyac:
[...]
How's that?-superboyac (February 13, 2011, 11:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Waaaay out of scope of what I was thinking.   :huh:
-skwire (February 13, 2011, 11:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
What could I do to make it worth your while?

Also, consider this:  you've already made trout, so all the playlist and music playing functionality is created.  So the things to add would be the scheduling options and the snooze.  I don't know how hard that is, but to me it sounds easier than the music player part, which is done and already very nice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version