topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)  (Read 687762 times)

none exist

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)
« Reply #250 on: March 05, 2009, 11:30 AM »
Really Clear Software
cpu: less then 2%
easy, economic, portable, powerfull

if you add these optionsto the trout it can be the best;
    add lyrcs automaticly to song.
    suggest repairing option for wrong tags.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #251 on: March 06, 2009, 03:46 AM »
[...]
i feel quite ashamed to ask for more. but hear me out :P
Thanks for the kind words and feedback.  Please don't ever feel ashamed to make a feature request.  Trout wouldn't be what it's become if it wasn't for everybody pitching in with their suggestions and bug reports.

1. really needs an equalizer for those people that like to tweak sound a bit. no fancy effects like surround effects and such, but a basic "5 lines" equalizer.
2. tomorrow i'll buy myself an ipod, and if this baby would be able to sync and create folder structure by reading the tags it would be jaw-dropping (tough i heard ipods don't like to bond with anything but itunes). this is not a request! but the one with the equalizer might be :P
3. double-click on album art to open it in viewer instead of right-click+click. if you don't plan to expand that menu you can simply replace it with this double-click.
1) Yes, an EQ is on the ToDo.  This will add some CPU usage, however.
2) I don't own an iPod so I doubt this will happen.
3) Originally, I had it working with a double-click and I can't recall why I took it out.  My notes don't show anything.  :-[  I'll add it back in there (and keep the current menu, too).

another option would be "open file location", like wmp, or, to be original, "go to file". but is ok as it is already.
Nice, I think I like "Open file location" the best.  Anybody else have any input on this?

if you add these optionsto the trout it can be the best;
    add lyrcs automaticly to song.
    suggest repairing option for wrong tags.
1) A lyrics window is on the ToDo.
2) Hmmm...I'm not sure what you're asking for here.  You can already right-click a file and edit its tags.  Did you want something different?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #252 on: March 07, 2009, 11:56 AM »
v1.0.2 build 196
    + Loading a data CD with the "Load audio CD" menu entry will now add those files to the
      list.  [Thanks, daonlyfreez]
    + Added "Show toaster popup" as a hotkeyable item.  [Thanks, k3ph]
    * Changed the "Explore here" menu option to "Open file location".  [Thanks, alooper21]

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #253 on: March 09, 2009, 02:48 AM »
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I noticed after I loaded a playlist with thousands of songs that while it was loading them all up, if I right click on one of the table headers (you know, you left-click them to sort the list by that column) it would stop loading the songs until I finished with my right-click business.

This is on Windows XP with the Trout build 197.

And by the way: WOW! I didn't know such a thing was possible using AHK. This is simply beautiful. This just might be the audio player to get me to finally upgrade from WinAmp 2.81 Lite (August 21, 2002) which I love so much I still use it to this day.

EDIT: Always on Top is hard to find. I think it should also be available as an option from the tray icon. And it seems the MiniBar should snap to the edges of the monitor if it's within ~10 pixels. Or at least have an option to do that. :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:03 AM by Deozaan »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #254 on: March 09, 2009, 03:48 AM »
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I noticed after I loaded a playlist with thousands of songs that while it was loading them all up, if I right click on one of the table headers (you know, you left-click them to sort the list by that column) it would stop loading the songs until I finished with my right-click business.
That's an AHK behaviour, though, I have seen it with other languages in the past.  I'm fairly certain is has to do with AHK being single-threaded but I couldn't say for sure.  Nothing should be missed during the file loading i.e. that thread will pick back up when you're done with the context menu.

And by the way: WOW! I didn't know such a thing was possible using AHK. This is simply beautiful. This just might be the audio player to get me to finally upgrade from WinAmp 2.81 Lite (August 21, 2002) which I love so much I still use it to this day.
Thanks for the nice compliment.  I'm glad you tried it out.

EDIT: Always on Top is hard to find. I think it should also be available as an option from the tray icon.
There is no AoT setting for the main window so I assume you mean for the minibars.  I couldn't think of a better place for it other than the minibar menu.  I could build out a specific minibar menu that would show up in the tray menu.

And it seems the MiniBar should snap to the edges of the monitor if it's within ~10 pixels. Or at least have an option to do that. :)
I'll add that to the ToDo.  Thanks.  =]

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #255 on: March 09, 2009, 05:35 AM »
That's an AHK behaviour, though, I have seen it with other languages in the past.  I'm fairly certain is has to do with AHK being single-threaded but I couldn't say for sure.  Nothing should be missed during the file loading i.e. that thread will pick back up when you're done with the context menu.

I wasn't too worried about it. It just seemed odd is all.

EDIT: Always on Top is hard to find. I think it should also be available as an option from the tray icon.
There is no AoT setting for the main window so I assume you mean for the minibars.  I couldn't think of a better place for it other than the minibar menu.  I could build out a specific minibar menu that would show up in the tray menu.

Correct, I meant the MiniBar.  :o :tellme: Strange, it looks like there is an AoT setting in the tray menu now... How is that possible?  :-\ I swear it wasn't there before! :huh:

In the meantime, I thought of another couple of useful options for the tray icon menu. Options to toggle the horizontal and/or vertical MiniBars. (i.e. MiniBar -> Show Horizontal Bar and MiniBar -> Show Vertical Bar options). And that would also be a good place to have the MiniBar -> Always on Top option if the one currently showing in my tray menu is just a fluke.

Also after a couple of hours of use, here are some more of my opinions on how Trout (specifically the MiniBar) would be better suited for my tastes and preferences:

• I personally don't need a button to take me to last.fm's website. Also, tooltips would be nice so that I wouldn't have to launch my browser to last.fm's website to figure out that that button is a "go to last.fm's website" button.
  • I'd rather have a track progress indicator than a volume meter showing. Is it possible on the Horizontal MiniBar to have a tiny vertical indicator (about the size of the last.fm button) for the volume and use the current horizontal indicator for the track progress like it is in the main window? I don't need to adjust the time on the track from this indicator, I'd just like to see how far into a song I am.
  • Any way to replace the last.fm button with such a volume indicator?
  • I suspect that with the Vertical MiniBar you could swap them so that the volume bar was the small one only a few pixels wide and the track progress was the larger of the two.
  • Alternatively, (though this wouldn't work well for the Vertical MiniBar) just showing some text in the volume indicator that can be customized to show Time Elapsed or Time Remaining (I'm a TR kind of person, myself) would be nice, but I think that might even confuse more people into thinking that it was a track progression indicator instead of a volume indicator.
  • I'd like more area to click on to drag the MiniBar around with. What I'd prefer is if clicking didn't change the volume (or track progress) so I could click anywhere that wasn't a button to drag it around. My suggested solution for adjusting the volume with such a setup would be to use the scroll wheel. i.e. click on the MiniBar to activate it then adjust volume using scrollwheel.

Additionally, a couple more potential bugs: I somehow managed to confuse it to death. I'm used to double-clicking tray icons for the main window to pop up. So the tray icon disappeared as the main window was popping up, but apparently clicking the tray icon again minimized it to tray, but the tray icon never showed up again. Good thing I had the MiniBar open or else I might never have been able to open the main window again!

And I set up the toaster to display how much time was remaining and it displayed all 00:00:00 once when a new track loaded up. I pressed the hotkey to display the toaster again and it properly displayed it after that. :huh: I can't duplicate it either...

Alright, that's enough for now. And now that I've finished my math homework I can go to sleep. :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 05:38 AM by Deozaan »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #256 on: March 09, 2009, 06:36 AM »
I'm used to double-clicking tray icons for the main window to pop up. So the tray icon disappeared as the main window was popping up, but apparently clicking the tray icon again minimized it to tray, but the tray icon never showed up again. Good thing I had the MiniBar open or else I might never have been able to open the main window again!
a pre-emptive vote against any possibility of changing that to a double click (to bring it from the tray) :D
double-click tray icon simply launches it here btw

(one of my pet hates is having to double-click those tiny icons, I prefer to right-click and select open)
Tom

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #257 on: March 09, 2009, 04:10 PM »
    Correct, I meant the MiniBar.  :o :tellme: Strange, it looks like there is an AoT setting in the tray menu now... How is that possible?  :-\ I swear it wasn't there before! :huh:
    Ah, there is a bug there.  If you display the minibar menu, it adds the AoT entry (as it should) but it also adds it to the tray menu.  I'll fix that in the next build. 

I personally don't need a button to take me to last.fm's website. Also, tooltips would be nice so that I wouldn't have to launch my browser to last.fm's website to figure out that that button is a "go to last.fm's website" button.
    • I'd rather have a track progress indicator than a volume meter showing. Is it possible on the Horizontal MiniBar to have a tiny vertical indicator (about the size of the last.fm button) for the volume and use the current horizontal indicator for the track progress like it is in the main window? I don't need to adjust the time on the track from this indicator, I'd just like to see how far into a song I am.
    • Any way to replace the last.fm button with such a volume indicator?
    • I suspect that with the Vertical MiniBar you could swap them so that the volume bar was the small one only a few pixels wide and the track progress was the larger of the two.
    • Alternatively, (though this wouldn't work well for the Vertical MiniBar) just showing some text in the volume indicator that can be customized to show Time Elapsed or Time Remaining (I'm a TR kind of person, myself) would be nice, but I think that might even confuse more people into thinking that it was a track progression indicator instead of a volume indicator.
    • I'd like more area to click on to drag the MiniBar around with. What I'd prefer is if clicking didn't change the volume (or track progress) so I could click anywhere that wasn't a button to drag it around. My suggested solution for adjusting the volume with such a setup would be to use the scroll wheel. i.e. click on the MiniBar to activate it then adjust volume using scrollwheel.
    For the record, I have plans to extend the minibars in several ways.  I will make that heart/love button an option in the Last.fm tab.  I think app103 would kill me if I took it out entirely.   :D  Currently, it adds the button only if you enable the Last.fm functionality.  Regarding the volume controls in the minibar, it was a tossup between that and the seekbar.  I plan to add an option that will display a small section on the minibar with the time remaining/elapsed.  I put the Trout icons on the minibars with the intention that they would be used as a sort of "drag thumb".  Scrollwheel volume control is a good idea.  I'll add that to the ToDo.

Additionally, a couple more potential bugs: I somehow managed to confuse it to death. I'm used to double-clicking tray icons for the main window to pop up. So the tray icon disappeared as the main window was popping up, but apparently clicking the tray icon again minimized it to tray, but the tray icon never showed up again. Good thing I had the MiniBar open or else I might never have been able to open the main window again!
    I can add an option where you can choose single or double-clicking the tray icon to bring it forward.

I hope I addressed most of your points.  Thanks for all the feedback.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #258 on: March 09, 2009, 04:12 PM »
    And I set up the toaster to display how much time was remaining and it displayed all 00:00:00 once when a new track loaded up. I pressed the hotkey to display the toaster again and it properly displayed it after that. :huh: I can't duplicate it either...

After leaving it paused for a few hours and coming back to it, it has now done the same thing with every one of the tracks I've listened to (3 so far) since resuming play. Also, the toaster stayed up for about a minute (once) instead of going away after 2 seconds like it is set up to do.

a pre-emptive vote against any possibility of changing that to a double click (to bring it from the tray) :D

I wasn't going to ask to change it. :)

And just to be clear: I'm certainly not demanding or expecting any of these changes to happen. I'm just giving feedback on things I think would be improvements, and making bug reports.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #259 on: March 09, 2009, 11:46 PM »
    1) A lyrics window is on the ToDo.

there's an existing Winamp plugin by Lyrc that does this. why not incorporate this plugin into Trout, might save some time.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #260 on: March 12, 2009, 03:29 AM »
    v1.0.2 build 153
        + New option under Options, General.  You can now set how the listview behaves when dropping
          files on it (or the minibars).  Choices are:
          - Never clear the existing playlist (Default/current way)
          - Always clear the existing playlist
          - Always ask me what to do
          [Thanks, mouser]

skwire: can this be extended for files stated in the command-line of Trout? i use a Farr alias to search for songs and load them into Trout.
    e.g. Trout.exe "C:\My Mp3s\some_song.mp3"
    right now, the newly-added files are inserted at the bottom of the listview, which is good most of the times but some options would be nice. :)

mouser

• First Author
    • Administrator
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #261 on: March 12, 2009, 05:03 AM »
    Is it just me or can we not remove a song from the playlist with delete key? That would be a nice feature to add.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
    • Global Moderator
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #262 on: March 12, 2009, 05:05 AM »
    Is it just me or can we not remove a song from the playlist with delete key? That would be a nice feature to add.

Delete key works here just fine.

mouser

• First Author
    • Administrator
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #263 on: March 12, 2009, 05:07 AM »
    doesn't work here on 2 pcs, and ive got latest version  :huh:

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
    • Global Moderator
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #264 on: March 12, 2009, 05:11 AM »
    That delete key has been a feature since the first version I tried and has always worked quite well here. You can even select multiple entries in a playlist and remove them.

Works on both my 9x machine & XP.

skwire

• Global Moderator
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #265 on: March 12, 2009, 05:12 AM »
    Do any of the other shortcut keys work for you?  Ctrl-a to select all, F3 to bring up the search window, etc.?

mouser

• First Author
    • Administrator
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #266 on: March 12, 2009, 05:38 AM »
    a minor idea: when choosing to save a new playlist, maybe use the info from the first song (artist/album) as default name?

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
    • Honorary Member
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #267 on: March 12, 2009, 06:10 AM »
    Option request: "rewind on resume" - user would be able to define an amount of seconds Trout would rewind the file when you resume listening (from pause mode).

skwire

• Global Moderator
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #268 on: March 12, 2009, 06:48 AM »
    Option request: "rewind on resume" - user would be able to define an amount of seconds Trout would rewind the file when you resume listening (from pause mode).
    Audiobook-related, I suppose?   :P

tomos

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #269 on: March 12, 2009, 07:16 AM »
    IDEA for new playback setting

Shuffle (or Random) with manual override :-)
    it would work as shuffle except when I select a different file - then it would play that selected file next. Then it would continue in Shuffle or whatever mode.

I find I'm listening in Random mode and, on hearing a particular song, I think - oh, I'd like to hear XYZ by the person or whatever. I'd select that one, go back to whatever I'm doing and my selection would play next...

Never seen it anywhere else (but only familiar with two players :p) so just throwing it out there ... or here :)
    Tom

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
    • Honorary Member
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #270 on: March 12, 2009, 08:04 AM »
    Audiobook-related, I suppose?   :P
    Good guess! :D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #271 on: March 12, 2009, 02:44 PM »
    Bug Report:

When starting Trout up again, it brings the playlist to the about the correct position to keep the currently playing track visible, except the currently playing song is actually just one above the visible area. In other words, you have to scroll up the playlist window one spot to see the currently playing song.

Hezzu

• Supporting Member
    • Joined in 2009
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #272 on: March 13, 2009, 02:04 AM »
    Yo!

There is this bug when you use media keys in logitech keyboard the song you change from keeps playing when the the song you change to starts playing

But awesome job so far thanks!  8)

skwire

• Global Moderator
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #273 on: March 13, 2009, 02:20 AM »
    a pre-emptive vote against any possibility of changing that to a double click (to bring it from the tray)

I'll make the number of tray clicks an option at some point.

there's an existing Winamp plugin by Lyrc that does this. why not incorporate this plugin into Trout, might save some time.

Thanks.  I'll probably be using LyricWiki.org, though, since I already have working code based on the help I gave in this AHK forum thread here.

skwire: can this be extended for files stated in the command-line of Trout? i use a Farr alias to search for songs and load them into Trout.
    right now, the newly-added files are inserted at the bottom of the listview, which is good most of the times but some options would be nice. :)

I assume you would just want it to work like it does for the listview i.e. obey the setting you've chosen?

Mouser and I fixed this in the latest build (v1.0.2.208).  I added the numpad delete key to that routine.  =]

a minor idea: when choosing to save a new playlist, maybe use the info from the first song (artist/album) as default name?

Won't be hard to add.  Thanks.

Added to the ToDo.  Thanks.

IDEA for new playback setting
    Shuffle (or Random) with manual override :-)

Added to the ToDo.  I'll try to come up with a way to smoothly implement this.  I'm thinking maybe a "Playback follows highlight" or something like that.

Bug Report:

When starting Trout up again, it brings the playlist to the about the correct position to keep the currently playing track visible, except the currently playing song is actually just one above the visible area. In other words, you have to scroll up the playlist window one spot to see the currently playing song.

Fixed in the latest build.  Thanks.

There is this bug when you use media keys in logitech keyboard the song you change from keeps playing when the the song you change to starts playing

Hey, Hezzu.  Nice to see you here.  In the last build that I just uploaded, there is an option to enable/disable those media keys.

Latest build:

v1.0.2 build 211
        + Made it so the numpad's delete key will work like the regular delete key.  [Thanks, mouser]
        + Added handling for media keys on Logitech keyboards (Play/pause, Stop, Next,
          Prev, Vol up/down).  [Thanks, mouser]
        + Added "Enable media keys by default" option to the Options, Hotkeys dialog.
        ! Fixed an HTML decoding issue on WPL files.  [Thanks, app103]
        ! Fixed a TR/TE display issue with the toaster popup.  [Thanks, Deozaan]
        ! Fixed a sizing issue when restoring from the tray/minibar if "Minimize on startup"
          was checked.  [Thanks, Deozaan]

lanux128

• Global Moderator
    • Joined in 2005
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #274 on: March 13, 2009, 04:15 AM »

I assume you would just want it to work like it does for the listview i.e. obey the setting you've chosen?

precisely, it'd be nice if both methods are consistent with each other. also how about a hi-res icon for the alt-tab view instead of the current one (see pic). :)

sc_trout_icon_alttab_ver002.png