ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2009

NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)

<< < (52/174) > >>

Deozaan:
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I noticed after I loaded a playlist with thousands of songs that while it was loading them all up, if I right click on one of the table headers (you know, you left-click them to sort the list by that column) it would stop loading the songs until I finished with my right-click business.-Deozaan (March 09, 2009, 02:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's an AHK behaviour, though, I have seen it with other languages in the past.  I'm fairly certain is has to do with AHK being single-threaded but I couldn't say for sure.  Nothing should be missed during the file loading i.e. that thread will pick back up when you're done with the context menu.-skwire (March 09, 2009, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wasn't too worried about it. It just seemed odd is all.

EDIT: Always on Top is hard to find. I think it should also be available as an option from the tray icon.-Deozaan (March 09, 2009, 02:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
There is no AoT setting for the main window so I assume you mean for the minibars.  I couldn't think of a better place for it other than the minibar menu.  I could build out a specific minibar menu that would show up in the tray menu.-skwire (March 09, 2009, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Correct, I meant the MiniBar.  :o :tellme: Strange, it looks like there is an AoT setting in the tray menu now... How is that possible?  :-\ I swear it wasn't there before! :huh:

In the meantime, I thought of another couple of useful options for the tray icon menu. Options to toggle the horizontal and/or vertical MiniBars. (i.e. MiniBar -> Show Horizontal Bar and MiniBar -> Show Vertical Bar options). And that would also be a good place to have the MiniBar -> Always on Top option if the one currently showing in my tray menu is just a fluke.

Also after a couple of hours of use, here are some more of my opinions on how Trout (specifically the MiniBar) would be better suited for my tastes and preferences:

* I personally don't need a button to take me to last.fm's website. Also, tooltips would be nice so that I wouldn't have to launch my browser to last.fm's website to figure out that that button is a "go to last.fm's website" button.
* I'd rather have a track progress indicator than a volume meter showing. Is it possible on the Horizontal MiniBar to have a tiny vertical indicator (about the size of the last.fm button) for the volume and use the current horizontal indicator for the track progress like it is in the main window? I don't need to adjust the time on the track from this indicator, I'd just like to see how far into a song I am.
* Any way to replace the last.fm button with such a volume indicator?
* I suspect that with the Vertical MiniBar you could swap them so that the volume bar was the small one only a few pixels wide and the track progress was the larger of the two.
* Alternatively, (though this wouldn't work well for the Vertical MiniBar) just showing some text in the volume indicator that can be customized to show Time Elapsed or Time Remaining (I'm a TR kind of person, myself) would be nice, but I think that might even confuse more people into thinking that it was a track progression indicator instead of a volume indicator.
* I'd like more area to click on to drag the MiniBar around with. What I'd prefer is if clicking didn't change the volume (or track progress) so I could click anywhere that wasn't a button to drag it around. My suggested solution for adjusting the volume with such a setup would be to use the scroll wheel. i.e. click on the MiniBar to activate it then adjust volume using scrollwheel.
Additionally, a couple more potential bugs: I somehow managed to confuse it to death. I'm used to double-clicking tray icons for the main window to pop up. So the tray icon disappeared as the main window was popping up, but apparently clicking the tray icon again minimized it to tray, but the tray icon never showed up again. Good thing I had the MiniBar open or else I might never have been able to open the main window again!

And I set up the toaster to display how much time was remaining and it displayed all 00:00:00 once when a new track loaded up. I pressed the hotkey to display the toaster again and it properly displayed it after that. :huh: I can't duplicate it either...

Alright, that's enough for now. And now that I've finished my math homework I can go to sleep. :)

tomos:
I'm used to double-clicking tray icons for the main window to pop up. So the tray icon disappeared as the main window was popping up, but apparently clicking the tray icon again minimized it to tray, but the tray icon never showed up again. Good thing I had the MiniBar open or else I might never have been able to open the main window again!
-Deozaan (March 09, 2009, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
a pre-emptive vote against any possibility of changing that to a double click (to bring it from the tray) :D
double-click tray icon simply launches it here btw

(one of my pet hates is having to double-click those tiny icons, I prefer to right-click and select open)

skwire:
Correct, I meant the MiniBar.  :o :tellme: Strange, it looks like there is an AoT setting in the tray menu now... How is that possible?  :-\ I swear it wasn't there before! :huh:-Deozaan (March 09, 2009, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ah, there is a bug there.  If you display the minibar menu, it adds the AoT entry (as it should) but it also adds it to the tray menu.  I'll fix that in the next build. 

I personally don't need a button to take me to last.fm's website. Also, tooltips would be nice so that I wouldn't have to launch my browser to last.fm's website to figure out that that button is a "go to last.fm's website" button.

* I'd rather have a track progress indicator than a volume meter showing. Is it possible on the Horizontal MiniBar to have a tiny vertical indicator (about the size of the last.fm button) for the volume and use the current horizontal indicator for the track progress like it is in the main window? I don't need to adjust the time on the track from this indicator, I'd just like to see how far into a song I am.
* Any way to replace the last.fm button with such a volume indicator?
* I suspect that with the Vertical MiniBar you could swap them so that the volume bar was the small one only a few pixels wide and the track progress was the larger of the two.
* Alternatively, (though this wouldn't work well for the Vertical MiniBar) just showing some text in the volume indicator that can be customized to show Time Elapsed or Time Remaining (I'm a TR kind of person, myself) would be nice, but I think that might even confuse more people into thinking that it was a track progression indicator instead of a volume indicator.
* I'd like more area to click on to drag the MiniBar around with. What I'd prefer is if clicking didn't change the volume (or track progress) so I could click anywhere that wasn't a button to drag it around. My suggested solution for adjusting the volume with such a setup would be to use the scroll wheel. i.e. click on the MiniBar to activate it then adjust volume using scrollwheel.-Deozaan (March 09, 2009, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
For the record, I have plans to extend the minibars in several ways.  I will make that heart/love button an option in the Last.fm tab.  I think app103 would kill me if I took it out entirely.   :D  Currently, it adds the button only if you enable the Last.fm functionality.  Regarding the volume controls in the minibar, it was a tossup between that and the seekbar.  I plan to add an option that will display a small section on the minibar with the time remaining/elapsed.  I put the Trout icons on the minibars with the intention that they would be used as a sort of "drag thumb".  Scrollwheel volume control is a good idea.  I'll add that to the ToDo.

Additionally, a couple more potential bugs: I somehow managed to confuse it to death. I'm used to double-clicking tray icons for the main window to pop up. So the tray icon disappeared as the main window was popping up, but apparently clicking the tray icon again minimized it to tray, but the tray icon never showed up again. Good thing I had the MiniBar open or else I might never have been able to open the main window again!-Deozaan (March 09, 2009, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
I can add an option where you can choose single or double-clicking the tray icon to bring it forward.

I hope I addressed most of your points.  Thanks for all the feedback.

Deozaan:
And I set up the toaster to display how much time was remaining and it displayed all 00:00:00 once when a new track loaded up. I pressed the hotkey to display the toaster again and it properly displayed it after that. :huh: I can't duplicate it either...-Deozaan (March 09, 2009, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

After leaving it paused for a few hours and coming back to it, it has now done the same thing with every one of the tracks I've listened to (3 so far) since resuming play. Also, the toaster stayed up for about a minute (once) instead of going away after 2 seconds like it is set up to do.

a pre-emptive vote against any possibility of changing that to a double click (to bring it from the tray) :D-tomos (March 09, 2009, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wasn't going to ask to change it. :)

And just to be clear: I'm certainly not demanding or expecting any of these changes to happen. I'm just giving feedback on things I think would be improvements, and making bug reports.

lanux128:
1) A lyrics window is on the ToDo.-skwire (March 06, 2009, 03:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

there's an existing Winamp plugin by Lyrc that does this. why not incorporate this plugin into Trout, might save some time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version