Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 22, 2014, 02:40:16 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)  (Read 237579 times)
skwire
Charter Member

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 12, 2008, 07:21:17 PM »

NANY 2009 Entry Information

Application Name Trout
Short Description Small, simple audio player (Freeware)
Supported OSes 95/98/ME/2k/XP/Vista/7
Web Page None
Download Link Installer
Zip (portable)
System RequirementsNothing special
Version History
+ added
* changed
- deleted
! bug fixed

v1.0.6 build 63 - 2012-06-16
    * Shortened filepath displayed in the statusbar to 64 characters.  (Thanks,
      AEN007)

v1.0.6 build 62 - 2012-04-26
    ! Launching the Find Track dialog twice from a hotkey would result in an
      error.  (Thanks, Ivan)

Click the button for the full v1.0.6 changelog.

Click the button for the full v1.0.5 changelog.

Click the button for the full v1.0.4 changelog.

Click the button for the full v1.0.3 changelog.

Click the button for the full v1.0.2 changelog.

Click the button for the full v1.0.1 changelog.
AuthorJody Holmes (Skwire)

Description
My main audio player for many years has been, and will remain, foobar but there are some times when I just want a simple "load'n'play" type of player.  An application that comes very close is Billy.  It's a FANTASTIC little app that fits in with my preference in software...standard controls, no skins, etc.  However, it only supports MP3, WAV, OGG, & FLAC and it also doesn't display tags.  My audio collection comprises many more formats than that and I tag files religiously.  So, with that in mind, I've always wanted to write my own simple player.  A good friend and I have wrapped the BASS audio engine in AutoHotkey and I've written a player (in AutoHotkey as well) called Trout.

Features
  • Supported audio formats (standard): AIFF, AIF, AIFC, MP1, MP2, MP3, OGA, OGG, WAV, MO3, XM, MOD, S3M, IT, MTM.
  • Supported audio formats (w/ plugins): FLAC, WMA, WMP, WMV, ASF, MID, MIDI, RMI, KAR, WV, WVC, AAC, MP4, M4A, M4B, M4P, APE, AC3, SPX, TTA, OFR, MPC, ALAC.
  • Basic freeDB support for audio CD track titles.
  • Support for internet radio streams.
  • Supported tag formats:
    ID3v1, ID3v2.2/3/4
    OGG/FLAC Vorbis comments
    WMA
    APE, OFR, MPC, AAC (APE tags)
    MP4/ALAC/AAC (not available under 9x/ME)
  • WinampAPI support for external control and display.
  • Commandline parameters for external control (/play, /stop, /prev, /next, /mute).
  • Extremely customizable hotkey system.
  • Basic custom string formatting (see Options screenshot).
  • Basic album art support (folder.jpg)
  • Horizontal/vertical "minibar" controls (see main screenshot).
  • Toaster style popup.
  • Play modes (Play file, play list, repeat file, repeat list, random, shuffle).
  • Simple tag editing (not available under 9x/ME).
  • last.fm support.

Planned Features
  • Equalizer.
  • Playlist saving in .m3u and .wpl formats.  It currently reads these files just fine.
  • Lyrics support.
  • Auto updater.
  • More...

Screenshots
Main interface and some different looks.  Windows 9x/ME users will have regular slider controls for the seekbar and volume controls.

Minibar controls

Options dialogs

Toaster popup

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:39:04 AM by skwire » Logged

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 07:28:14 PM »

very nice  thumbs up thumbs up
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 09:24:26 PM »

I will cross my fingers because I am waiting for something to replace Apollo player (no longer developped). for a long time.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 06:25:42 PM by fenixproductions » Logged

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 08:21:37 AM »

Apollo is another fantastic player that I've used in the past.  About the only thing that it couldn't do was display Japanese characters properly for me.  Trout isn't really meant to compete with any of these big guns.  That being said, may I ask what you might expect from Trout that Apollo currently doesn't have/do?

Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 04:40:22 PM »

Excellent! I was wondering what happened with the project smiley
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 06:24:28 PM »

That being said, may I ask what you might expect from Trout that Apollo currently doesn't have/do?

• Unicode support,
  • better Winamp input plugins handling - I don't know why but some of them don't work for me at all (ex. MP4).
  • better system's RMB support - Few times I had situation when Apollo replaced system's default "Open" action for folders. Double click on folder was starting empty Apollo and "Add to Apollo" or "Enqueque in Apollo" didn't work at all.
  • applications titlebar hook - I remember seeing in some player the feature which allowed to embed player's buttons in topmost application's title bar.
  • dim all visualisation - Grey out whole desktop and show mini-player in the middle of the screen (just buttons + track info).

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »

Wow, at the risk of diminishing your interest in Trout...

Quote from: fenixproductions
  • Unicode support,
Since AutoHotkey doesn't support unicode (natively), this won't happen until AHK does.

• better Winamp input plugins handling - I don't know why but some of them don't work for me at all (ex. MP4).
Currently, Trout doesn't support Winamp input plugins, though I hope to at some point.  However, mp4 files play fine with the BASS AAC or ALAC plugin.

• better system's RMB support - Few times I had situation when Apollo replaced system's default "Open" action for folders. Double click on folder was starting empty Apollo and "Add to Apollo" or "Enqueque in Apollo" didn't work at all.
This is something I've tried to get working properly and I've come pretty close.

• applications titlebar hook - I remember seeing in some player the feature which allowed to embed player's buttons in topmost application's title bar.
I highly doubt you'll see this from me.  There are two minibar modes that Trout can display, though.

• dim all visualisation - Grey out whole desktop and show mini-player in the middle of the screen (just buttons + track info).
Again, not something you'd see from me.

Trout was written to fill a niche for me (and to show what can be done with AHK).  Again, it's not about to replace foobar as my main player nor is it meant to compete with any of the other mainstream players out there. 

skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 03:08:18 PM »

Would anybody be interested in designing an icon/graphic for this player?  I was thinking maybe a trout/fish with headphones...cartoony is just fine.

urlwolf
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 03:14:32 PM »

fantastic what one can do with ahk smiley  thumbs up
skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 04:16:54 PM »

I've updated the first post with screenshots of the updated Options dialog.

hamradio
Charter Honorary Member

Amateur Radio Guy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 05:50:29 PM »

Icon in 64x64, 48x48, 32x32, 24x24, and 16x16 sizes.
Preview and Download

* trout_new.zip (13.82 KB - downloaded 470 times.)

smiley
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 12:51:19 AM by hamradio » Logged

Carroll - HamRadioUSA
skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 07:47:51 PM »

Lovely, Ham.  Thanks so much.  =]

skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 11:39:42 AM »

I've updated this teaser to a release.  I'd be curious to know if this player works on Win2k/Win9x as I have only tested it within a VM on those OSes.

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »

Quick test on a 9x PC:  Pentium I, 233mhz, 64mb RAM, WinME

Streaming audio was not tested due to the fact that the PC is on 33.6k dialup. I only tested it with local wav & mp3 files and CD's, as that's all I have available for that machine. I also didn't test all features.

I really like the nice compact size of the minibars. The size is perfect! It would be nice if there was some sort of tooltip on the minibar to give you some sort of hint what you are listening to. (I know it's on the tray icon, but I keep my taskbar hidden) It would also be nice if there was an option to keep the minibar always on top.

Drag & drop from Explorer works wonderful! Thanks for that!

Some issues (might not be 9x related, I'll test on XP later and let you know):

It took a looooong time to load a folder of files. You can't play anything till it's finished loading the files. I ended up having to wait 30 minutes!

When you resize the window the list box doesn't resize with it until it's finished loading all the files.

There are no scrollbars and I couldn't see what was in the other columns unless I maximized the window. I had to use the keyboard to scroll up/down. No way to scroll left/right though. Scrollbars do show if I close the player and open again, as long as I don't clear & create a new list. (scrollwheel on my mouse doesn't work, so those bars are important to me)

The seekbar leaves the limits of the window during play, unless I close and reopen and don't clear & create a new list.

Listbox tends to cover statusbar.

Status bar does some neat tricks when using my arrow keys to scroll the list down.

Invert selection doesn't work.

It's possible to have both minibars on the screen at the same time. (shouldn't it be one or the other, but not both?)

Occasionally, when I double click the icon on the minibar to show the main window, afterwards, when I move my mouse, the minibar sticks & moves with it (but not necessarily under my pointer) till I click somewhere else. It would be possible to lose the minibar offscreen if I were to click the desktop while the minibar was offscreen. Might want to confine the minibar to the desktop to prevent that from happening. (I have the same issue with an application I wrote and had to confine it to the desktop after a user lost it and had no way to get it back besides editing the registry)

Seekbar & playlist font issue: can't use a different font than the default one or the size is too tiny and I can't adjust font size. Settings are ignored. (I wanted Arial bold, because it's clearer & easier for me to read) I was afraid to change the font on the toaster because I didn't see a button to revert it back to default if there was an issue.

It doesn't read tags properly. It shows the file name where Artist should be, doesn't show album/title/year/genre. This affects the playlist, seekbar, titlebar, and toaster.

freeDB worked fine and displayed all the info, but I couldn't get Trout to play CD's at all on that machine. It could be an issue with my drive though. Very few players actually work with it...only 2 that I know of, one came with my keyboard and the other one is some crappy thing that I wrote in VB6. (At least Trout didn't crash like Winamp & WMP does when trying to play CD's)

skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 03:47:03 PM »

Quick test on a 9x PC:  Pentium I, 233mhz, 64mb RAM, WinME

Wowza, from your post, I think it's safe to say that Win9x isn't supported.   tongue

I really like the nice compact size of the minibars. The size is perfect! It would be nice if there was some sort of tooltip on the minibar to give you some sort of hint what you are listening to. (I know it's on the tray icon, but I keep my taskbar hidden)

Piece of cake.  I'll add it into the next build.  Thanks for the suggestion.

It would also be nice if there was an option to keep the minibar always on top.

Right-click the Trout icon on the minibar...you'll see the AoT option there.

It took a looooong time to load a folder of files. You can't play anything till it's finished loading the files. I ended up having to wait 30 minutes!

How many files were in this folder?

It's possible to have both minibars on the screen at the same time. (shouldn't it be one or the other, but not both?)

Ehhh, I figured why limit it to one or the other?  Thmbsup

Some issues (might not be 9x related, I'll test on XP later and let you know):

When you resize the window the list box doesn't resize with it until it's finished loading all the files.

Invert selection doesn't work.

Seekbar & playlist font issue: can't use a different font than the default one or the size is too tiny and I can't adjust font size. Settings are ignored. (I wanted Arial bold, because it's clearer & easier for me to read) I was afraid to change the font on the toaster because I didn't see a button to revert it back to default if there was an issue.

It doesn't read tags properly. It shows the file name where Artist should be, doesn't show album/title/year/genre. This affects the playlist, seekbar, titlebar, and toaster.

Again, at this point, I'm going to have to say it's a Win9x issue since almost all of the issues mentioned above don't happen on any of the WinXP boxes I've tested with.  The tag reading is DEFINITELY a Win9x issue since it's using ansi/unicode DLL calls that aren't available in Win9x.  I assure you (and everybody) that all the above issues haven't happened on any WinXP box I've tested against.

freeDB worked fine and displayed all the info, but I couldn't get Trout to play CD's at all on that machine. It could be an issue with my drive though. Very few players actually work with it...only 2 that I know of, one came with my keyboard and the other one is some crappy thing that I wrote in VB6. (At least Trout didn't crash like Winamp & WMP does when trying to play CD's)

Hmmmm...I'll go with the drive issue.  Hahaha.  For the record, I've tested the CD playback on my home desktop, my wife's desktop, my work laptop and several other computers at work.  I'm curious to know your findings to all the above issues under WinXP or Vista.  Thank you so much for taking the time to test on your WinME box.  Due to your feedback, I've gone ahead and taken the Win9x off the supported OS in my initial post. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 04:12:46 PM by skwire » Logged

kilele
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 05:57:48 AM »

Beautiful work!!
This is going to be one of my favourite apps for music along
Mp3tag
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
Random Playlist Creator with Genres
http://www.davewolf.net/software/products.php
Ares
http://aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net/

It would be great if you could make a portable version
PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 06:02:27 AM »

I believe you can run it as a portable app... just extract the installer (a self-extracting ZIP archive) with Universal Extractor... et voilà.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 06:05:57 AM by PhilB66 » Logged
skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 07:16:50 AM »

Beautiful work!!
This is going to be one of my favourite apps for music
It would be great if you could make a portable version

Thank you for your compliments and suggestion.  I've updated the initial post with a zipfile download.

I believe you can run it as a portable app... just extract the installer (a self-extracting ZIP archive) with Universal Extractor... et voilà.

Yep, I use InnoSetup to build the installer package; Universal Extractor can easily handle that.

apfel
Participant

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 08:22:13 AM »

Great small player.
Could you code a search function Ctrl+F or somthing?
( :(Realy sad about no unicode support...)
skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 08:31:27 AM »

Great small player.
Thank you.  I'm glad you like it.

Could you code a search function Ctrl+F or somthing?
How would you like this to work?

( :(Realy sad about no unicode support...)

Even though AHK is does not natively support unicode, I have added unicode support where I can in Trout.  The tag reading should support unicode tags and the copy-to-clipboard function will copy in unicode format.  If you can test this, please let me know if it works for you.  I've tested it on my files and it does work for me.

apfel
Participant

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 11:35:28 AM »

The search function can be just like foobar2000's small window with input row and beneath the results. One click jump to track and double click start track.

Even though AHK is does not natively support unicode, I have added unicode support where I can in Trout.  The tag reading should support unicode tags and the copy-to-clipboard function will copy in unicode format.  If you can test this, please let me know if it works for you.  I've tested it on my files and it does work for me.

Yeah, what I mean is the playlist. My tracks with cyrillic names are ????? - ????????.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 11:41:46 AM by apfel » Logged
dodenonnonisos
Participant

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 12:45:57 PM »

Great program!

What I miss though is:

* rating column and possibility to set the rating of a song by mouseclick or shortcut key

* drag and drop support of an mp3 or folder of mp3s to the icon of Trout I placed in Quickstart of the Windows Toolbar

Any plans for those features or to release the code as open source?

Kind regards,
Dennis
skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 05:17:23 PM »

Yeah, what I mean is the playlist. My tracks with cyrillic names are ????? - ????????.

May I ask how your Windows box is set up under Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Advanced tab -> Language for non-Unicode programs?

Also, I've been working on your search function.  Here's some preliminary screenshots:

The load time you see in the first screenshot is from my computer (Athlon 64, 2GHz).  I've tested it with 65,000+ files and that took about 35 seconds.  However, once the list is loaded, I've implemented instant find-as-you-type functionality.  It's very similar to the "Jump" functionality in Winamp.  Was this what you had in mind?

Great program!
What I miss though is:

* rating column and possibility to set the rating of a song by mouseclick or shortcut key

* drag and drop support of an mp3 or folder of mp3s to the icon of Trout I placed in Quickstart of the Windows Toolbar

Any plans for those features or to release the code as open source?

1) Unfortunately, I've never been much for rating tunes.  Also, I was hoping to forever cheesy stay away from actually modifying user's files.  Apologies.
2) Drag and drop to icons should most definitely work; I just tested it on another one of my boxes to be sure.  Does it work on a desktop icon?  Also, if you use the minibars, you can drop files/folders right onto them.
3) I've no interest in making the source open.  That being said, I'm more than happy to share techniques or pieces of the code if there was something specific you're interested in.

Thank you for your kind compliment and suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 05:21:15 PM by skwire » Logged

apfel
Participant

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 05:41:52 PM »

May I ask how your Windows box is set up under Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Advanced tab -> Language for non-Unicode programs?

Russian, but I own also tracks with chines/korean/japanese characters.
(Unicode autohotkey-> http://de.autohotkey.com/forum/topic2873.html)

Found strange behavior, after click on "save playlist" -> Cancle/CloseButton, Trout anyway saves the playlist under  ".tpl".

When you drop Folder with Music, the folder will be added as an item and not the tracks.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 05:47:19 PM by apfel » Logged
skwire
Charter Member

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »

Russian, but I own also tracks with chines/korean/japanese characters.
(Unicode autohotkey-> http://de.autohotkey.com/forum/topic2873.html)
I'll ask dR about this the next time I see him on IRC.

Found strange behavior, after click on "save playlist" -> Cancle/CloseButton, Trout anyway saves the playlist under  ".tpl".
Fixed.  Thank you.  Installer and zip have been updated.

When you drop Folder with Music, the folder will be added as an item and not the tracks.
Could you elaborate, please?  Dropping onto what, the playlist?  If so, I'm not sure what the issue could be since I use that functionality all day long without issue.  Thanks for your continued feedback.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.139s | Server load: 0.05 ]