topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)  (Read 688044 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Trout
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2009, 03:29 AM »
I have had a play with the slider control and I get no response from using the mousewheel.(Not that I would ever use it)
If you set a wheelmouse hotkey for the seek actions, it will work (but not as well as one would hope).

The slider control works OK with me as long as you hold the mouse pointer right on it, slides back and forth giving the track time, no jumping back and forth as such as  apfel described.
Right, this is the way it was intended.

The only time that happened was when I clicked the seekbar on either side of the control slider then it jumps about 54 seconds forward and back can't really see any need to be doing that though.
Yep, this is the limitation I mentioned before.  I don't think the standard Windows slider control was meant to be used as a seekbar.  =]

However it takes 3 clicks on the seekbar forward of the slider control to go from the start to the finish of a song there could be some use in doing that if you want a quick preview of a song.
This is the reason I added the seek buttons.  You can click and hold either of those to get a sort of CD player fast-forward/rewind effect.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2009, 09:51 AM »
a couple of minor queries/ requests

1) I'm wondering is there an easy way to refresh the current folder -
currently the only way I see is to reload it - (F5 would be a nice option to have)

2) another very minor thing is:
with playmode set to random could I dictate the first file to play?

3) could there be a column with just file name ?

I've only been listening to mp3's for about 6 weeks while I work -
up to now I've been a CD man - partly because I get "earphone claustrophobia" I never got into mp3's before - so no experience with players apart from Media Jukebox which I used till now - it's good but this is very nice and "clean"
thanks,
Tom

Tom

Controller

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2009, 11:07 AM »
Some issues (on Windows 98):
  • The main buttons show strange letters: 9 ; : and 7 < 8 (using default font / MS Sans Serif s8):
    trout.png
  • When e.g. pressing F3, nothing happens;
  • The systray icons shows only a "white H on green background". I know Windows 98 (by default !) only displays 16 color default palette icons properly, but this icon does not remind in any case on "Trout", the Trout icon or a media player at all.
  • Starting playback with doubleclick on a playlist item sometimes does not work (So I can reproduce this with a specific file only)
  • Canceling color chooser for background color changes the background color in the setup dialog, and this background color is applied for the seek bar
  • Font size is not 'selected' properly in the font chooser, maybe you forgot to set the iPointSize member or have an calculation error
  • What about tag reading beeing optional - Users could read tags on demand using "[Re]Scan tags of selected file(s)" (or via an option to load tags when starting playing an item)
BTW,
  • why do you need mixer API (shouldn't bass do all volume stuff?)
  • is there any joystick support (joyGetPosEx)
  • You should at least add unicode support for file system access
  • resources.dll is not compressed (upx)
  • Why don't you include no_cover, skwire.ico and streaming_cover in the resources.dll?
  • No need to provide Thumbs.db in the zip file
  • You could make playlist m3u compatible

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2009, 11:32 PM »
1) I'm wondering is there an easy way to refresh the current folder -
currently the only way I see is to reload it - (F5 would be a nice option to have)
2) another very minor thing is:
with playmode set to random could I dictate the first file to play?
3) could there be a column with just file name ?
Build 84 should cover all three of these points.  Please let me know.

so no experience with players apart from Media Jukebox which I used till now - it's good but this is very nice and "clean"
Thank you for the kind compliments.  It's always flattering and humbling when others enjoy my apps.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2009, 11:46 PM »
Some issues (on Windows 98):
  • The main buttons show strange letters: 9 ; : and 7 < 8 (using default font / MS Sans Serif s8):
  • When e.g. pressing F3, nothing happens;
  • The systray icons shows only a "white H on green background". I know Windows 98 (by default !) only displays 16 color default palette icons properly, but this icon does not remind in any case on "Trout", the Trout icon or a media player at all.
  • Starting playback with doubleclick on a playlist item sometimes does not work (So I can reproduce this with a specific file only)
  • Canceling color chooser for background color changes the background color in the setup dialog, and this background color is applied for the seek bar
  • Font size is not 'selected' properly in the font chooser, maybe you forgot to set the iPointSize member or have an calculation error
Windows 95/98 isn't supported by Trout.  Apologies.

• why do you need mixer API (shouldn't bass do all volume stuff?)
  • is there any joystick support (joyGetPosEx)
  • You should at least add unicode support for file system access
  • resources.dll is not compressed (upx)
  • Why don't you include no_cover, skwire.ico and streaming_cover in the resources.dll?
  • No need to provide Thumbs.db in the zip file
  • You could make playlist m3u compatible

I'll hit each of these points in the event that you can use Trout on 2k/XP/Vista.

1) Trout doesn't use the system mixer for volume control.  All volumes are handled within Trout/BASS.
2) No joystick support at the moment but that would be trivial to add.
3) AHK doesn't have native unicode support.  I've added unicode handling where I can in Trout using all manner of tricks.  Believe me, if I could figure out a way to handle unicode paths, I would add it in a heartbeat.
4) I suppose I could compress the resources.dll but it's only 105k to begin with.
5) I didn't include the no_cover.jpg/streaming_cover.jpg in the dll so it would easier for users to replace them with their own images if they didn't like the ones I included.
6) Thumbs.db.  Doh!  Thanks...deleted from the zip.
7) Trout can read both types of m3u playlists (simple and EXTInfo types).  If you meant writing to m3u format then, yes, I still need to add that functionality.

Thanks for your feedback and apologies, again, about the Windows 98 limitation.  I added some clarifying text to my initial post in this thread.

Controller

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2009, 08:00 AM »
Windows 95/98 isn't supported by Trout.  Apologies.
3) AHK doesn't have native unicode support.  I've added unicode handling where I can in Trout using all manner of tricks.  Believe me, if I could figure out a way to handle unicode paths, I would add it in a heartbeat.
Didn't see anything alike in the import table. As Windows 98 is not supported, can you compile as unicode executable?

1) Trout doesn't use the system mixer for volume control.  All volumes are handled within Trout/BASS.
Just wondered about the imports

I'll hit each of these points in the event that you can use Trout on 2k/XP/Vista.
Just tested on Windows XP (SP3 with 'some' nLite), and found this errors too:
    trout.png
    (Seems same as on Windows 98, so I did not make another screenshot)
  • Canceling color chooser for background color changes the background color in the setup dialog, and this colors are applied. All font settings are applied imediatelly without me pressing the OK button (As there is no Cancel button, guess it's supposed to be that way)

• On Windows 98, the systray icons shows only a "white H on green background"...
Are these icons useless on Windows NT series?

Another nice change would be if your setup dialog would fit on screen resolutions of 640x480 (Even so Windows XP 'requires' at least 800x600, some Mini-Laptops like mine support e.g. 800x480 only - but considering all that probs I already had with games and some apps because a) this low resolution and b) widescreen, I don't care anymore... and just don't use those software)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2009, 11:48 AM »
Didn't see anything alike in the import table. As Windows 98 is not supported, can you compile as unicode executable?

Just wondered about the imports
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "imports" or "import table".  As for compiling a unicode executable, again, AutoHotkey (AHK) doesn't have unicode support. 

Just tested on Windows XP (SP3 with 'some' nLite), and found this errors too:
I'm going to assume your system is missing the Webdings font.  This should be installed by default on all 2k/XP/Vista systems.  Maybe the nLite deletes it?  With that said, I am looking into options where I can dynamically load a font so this sort of thing doesn't happen.

• Canceling color chooser for background color changes the background color in the setup dialog, and this colors are applied. All font settings are applied imediatelly without me pressing the OK button (As there is no Cancel button, guess it's supposed to be that way)
Yes, I see this bug as well.  Thank you, I'll fix it in the next build.

Another nice change would be if your setup dialog would fit on screen resolutions of 640x480 (Even so Windows XP 'requires' at least 800x600, some Mini-Laptops like mine support e.g. 800x480 only - but considering all that probs I already had with games and some apps because a) this low resolution and b) widescreen, I don't care anymore... and just don't use those software)
Do you mean the installer?  Or the Options dialog within Trout itself?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2009, 02:07 PM »
Thanks for your feedback and apologies, again, about the Windows 98 limitation.  I added some clarifying text to my initial post in this thread.

You should also add ME to the not supported list.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2009, 06:43 PM »
You should also add ME to the not supported list.

Thanks for the reminder!

Controller

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2009, 08:26 AM »
Do you mean the installer?  Or the Options dialog within Trout itself?
The options dialog in Trout itself; See
http://cachemiss.bplaced.net/trout.jpg (hopefully this link is working)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2009, 09:27 AM »
I'll see what I can do.  Thanks.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2009, 11:11 AM »
v1.0.1 build 95
    + Added sections in Options for custom colour choices for new slider controls.
    * Completely changed up the volume and seekbar sliders.  They now use standard
      progress bars.
    * The minibar tools tips now pick up their colour from the volume colour settings.
      I will add a separate colour option if there is call for it.  [Thanks, app103]
    * Shortened up the Options dialog a bit to (hopefully) fit certain laptop
      resolutions.  [Thanks, Controller]
    ! Tray menu "Stop" action didn't function properly.
    ! Clicking cancel on colour dialog would improperly reset the control.  [Thanks,
      Controller]

Please keep in mind that, in AHK, the progress bar control is rather limited.  All the functionality I added in Trout, in regards to these new progress bars, is handled manually in my code.  Sooooo...there are bound to be bugs here and there.  However, I think these new bars are a marked improvement over the standard slider controls.  Please let me know what you think.  Thanks.

Screenshots showing some of the new possibilities:
Trout_10.jpgNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)
Trout_11.jpgNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)
Trout_12.jpgNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)
Trout_13.jpgNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)
Trout_14.jpgNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 11:41 AM by skwire »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Here's a shot, from a friend, showing Trout in the Windows 7 beta.
Trout_15.jpgNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)

apfel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Sonehow the themed mode for the volume bar performs in inverted mode?
When I set the volumn slowly to high the bar goes down and from high to low the bar goes high.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2009, 12:54 PM »
Sonehow the themed mode for the volume bar performs in inverted mode?
When I set the volumn slowly to high the bar goes down and from high to low the bar goes high.

:huh: I've no idea why yours would be working like that.  I mean, the control is set to inverted when the GUI is built but that's as it should be.  I double-checked in a VM and asked several other friends to check, too.  All seems well.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2009, 01:43 PM »
I think the tooltip on the minibar is lingering way too long. When I move the mouse away from the minibar the tooltip follows my pointer till it gets about halfway down the screen...and this is with me moving the mouse rather slowly.

And is there any way you could save & load settings to remember column order in the playlist? I prefer to see Artist-title-time-album rather than the default artist-album-title-etc, and I have to keep changing it every time I run Trout.

And here is another screenshot for your collection, in a nice purple classic style theme:

SNAG-00048.pngNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2009, 11:24 PM »
v1.0.1 build 96
    - Reverted the tooltip changes from build 95 until I can make them work more
      reliably.

I think the tooltip on the minibar is lingering way too long. When I move the mouse away from the minibar the tooltip follows my pointer till it gets about halfway down the screen...and this is with me moving the mouse rather slowly.
I've reverted the changes in build 96 until I can work out a better way to do the coloured tooltips.

And is there any way you could save & load settings to remember column order in the playlist? I prefer to see Artist-title-time-album rather than the default artist-album-title-etc, and I have to keep changing it every time I run Trout.
I will try but I know this will involve quite a lot of code re-working.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2009, 07:10 AM »
Lots of additions/changes in this build.  Enough that I thought it warranted a bump to v1.0.2.  Please report any bugs (especially with the Last.fm functionality).

v1.0.2 build 1
    + Added basic Last.fm support. Trout's support of Last.fm is limited to the
      following:
          1) A track must be longer than thirty seconds to be considered for submittal.
          2) Artist and title tags MUST be present.
          3) "Now playing" information will be sent ten seconds into track playback.
          4) For a track to be "submitted", it must have played at least 240 seconds
             OR half its track length.
          5) Trout does NO caching of tracks.  It's pretty doubtful I will add this
             capability in the future unless there is some huge need for it.
          See the following URL for more details: http://www.last.fm/api/submissions#subs
    + Mousewheel over the main window's volume control now changes the volume.
    * Re-arranged the Edit menu a bit.  There is now a "Selection" entry with several
      sub-entries.  'Invert selection', 'Remove from list', and 'Rescan tags' have been
      moved to this submenu.  There is also a new entry that will allow you to delete
      the selection to the Recycle Bin.  If a file can't be deleted to the bin, you will
      be warned of such and allowed the option of deleting the file directly.
    * Tried to improve the responsiveness of the listview when switching tracks by
      double-clicking.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2009, 01:37 PM »
Hmmm, Last.FM servers have been pretty shaky during the last few days (at one point foobar2000 did a submission of 12 cached tracks), so perhaps sooner or later you'll have to add track caching. That is, if the users also use Last.FM extensively, otherwise maybe you won't get any complains :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2009, 02:05 PM »
Ugh.  Man, I was hoping that wouldn't be much of an issue.   :P

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2009, 02:41 PM »
Ugh.  Man, I was hoping that wouldn't be much of an issue.   :P

Hi skwire

I've lost the select all function in this new release  both under the file menu's and the left click menu.
thanks

nogojoe
Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2009, 02:46 PM »
Thank you for the last.fm support. If given the choice between having a way to love tracks or caching, I'll take the little button with the heart on it.

My ears thank you for that delete option, especially when I am going through my latest crop of recommended downloads from last.fm.

One more little feature I'd like to see (sorry to be a pain in the butt):

option to launch minimized (That way I can have it load at startup and not have to have the main window staring at me each time, and just have the minibar & tray icon showing instead)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2009, 02:58 PM »
I've lost the select all function in this new release  both under the file menu's and the left click menu.
thanks

Doh.  Funny what a stray char in the code will do.  Fixed and thanks.

v1.0.2 build 3
    * Fixed the "Select all" function in the edit menu.  [Thanks, nogojoe]

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2009, 03:03 PM »
Thank you for the last.fm support. If given the choice between having a way to love tracks or caching, I'll take the little button with the heart on it.
If the Last.fm servers are that flaky, I'll add both.  Your button with the heart comes first.  Now, just to verify, you can "love" a track without actually playing it, right?  /me will review the last.fm API docs again.

My ears thank you for that delete option, especially when I am going through my latest crop of recommended downloads from last.fm.
You're welcome.  =]

option to launch minimized (That way I can have it load at startup and not have to have the main window staring at me each time, and just have the minibar & tray icon showing instead)
Can do.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2009, 03:15 PM »
Here is the actual proof that it is possble to love a track without actually playing it...

I can go to any random artist's page on the site and on the tracks page, click the options button on any track and select "Love track" without having to play it first.

In fact, I can "love" tracks that I have never heard of and have no intention of ever listening to (why one would do that I have no idea, but it is still possible)

love.pngNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)