topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)  (Read 687799 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)
« Reply #725 on: August 14, 2011, 01:58 AM »
Hi, pillola, and welcome to the site.  Trout doesn't play added files automatically mainly because I don't like that type of behaviour in a music player.  Trout does, however, offer an extremely configurable hotkey system (including mouse buttons and the mousewheel) so you should be able to configure a convenient hotkey to start your music.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #726 on: August 17, 2011, 04:18 AM »
Every time I see this ad on facebook I instinctively want to click Like.

Screenshot - 8_17_2011 , 5_12_09 AM.png

Then have to remind myself it has absolutely nothing to do with this app.  :-[

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #727 on: August 17, 2011, 11:57 AM »
Hahaha...nice.  =]  I like trout...good tasting fish.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #728 on: August 19, 2011, 12:39 AM »
Website | Installer | Portable
v1.0.6 build 15 - 2011-08-19
    + Options > Paths tab.  You can now set which folder Trout uses to load and
      save playlists.  (Thanks, AEN007)
    + New /playpause commandline switch.  This will act as a toggle between play
      and pause.  (Thanks, AEN007)
    + Added $samplerate as a usable token for string formatting.  (Thanks, AEN007)
    * The /play commandline switch will no longer pause a track.  Use /playpause
      if you want a toggle.  (Thanks, AEN007)
    * The /pause commandline switch will no longer unpause a track.  Use
      /playpause if you want a toggle.  (Thanks, AEN007)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:15 PM by skwire »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #729 on: August 20, 2011, 12:15 PM »
v1.0.6 build 16 - 2011-08-20
    + Added "Sample" column to display a file's sample rate frequency in Hz.
      You will initially see it as the last column.  Simply drag it to the
      position you want.  For those that don't want it, you can hide it via the
      View menu.  (Thanks, AEN007)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #730 on: August 21, 2011, 03:50 PM »
v1.0.6 build 20 - 2011-08-21
    + Added "Clear list and load playlist" item to the File menu.
    ! The "Find track" dialog didn't display the correct number of files under
      certain conditions.  (Thanks, Winkie)
    ! Adding files could sometimes result in extra blank playlist entries.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #731 on: August 22, 2011, 12:24 PM »
v1.0.6 build 21 - 2011-08-22
    ! The $samplerate token was broken in the last build.  (Thanks, AEN007)

Exilas

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #732 on: September 20, 2011, 10:37 AM »
Hi Skwire,
I'm an happy user of Trout. I've a question, though: is there a way to have a random play of the full playlist, meaning that each song in the playlist is automatically played exactly once in random order before being played again? Neither the Random nor the Shuffle options seem to do that.

Thanks,
Exilas

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #733 on: September 20, 2011, 10:57 AM »
Hi Exilas, and welcome to the site.

Shuffle mode should play each song once in a random order.  However, if you add or delete items in the list whilst this mode is playing, it resets.  Perhaps this is what is tripping you up?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #734 on: September 20, 2011, 11:31 AM »
is there a way to have a random play of the full playlist, meaning that each song in the playlist is automatically played exactly once in random order before being played again?

If you use Remove track after playback (found under List menu) no matter what you use, random or shuffle, you won't hear the track again. When the playlist is empty, just reload it. Even if you add or delete items, you still won't hear the same track twice unless you add it back to the list after it is played and removed.

Exilas

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #735 on: September 20, 2011, 02:58 PM »
Thanks skwire and app103. I think skwire hit the nail square on its head. I will experiment further, but it is likely I got confused by the list modification resetting the shuffle mode. Actually, is there a technical reason not to handle add/delete in the list without resetting the shuffle mode?

Thanks again!
Exilas

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #736 on: September 20, 2011, 03:18 PM »
Actually, is there a technical reason not to handle add/delete in the list without resetting the shuffle mode?

Would you accept "coder taking the easy way out" as a technical reason?   :D

Exilas

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #737 on: September 20, 2011, 03:20 PM »
Well, yes :) Consider this an humble feature request for the next Trout release, though!

Thanks
Exilas

DJAmbient

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #738 on: October 04, 2011, 03:19 PM »
I was looking for a nice portable application I could run off a thumb drive to play FLAC files. I want to distribute some thumbs to some friends of some or my music in a lossless format but not challenge them with a way to play it. Having this player on the thumbdrive solves that problem handily!

Thanks very much, I couldn't have asked for anything better.
DJ

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #739 on: October 04, 2011, 03:25 PM »
Welcome to the site, DJAmbient, and thanks for your kind words.   :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #740 on: October 04, 2011, 08:05 PM »
I've noticed something strange.

I often use headphones in my PC (Win 7 x64) but will sometimes unplug them. It seems as though Trout doesn't know how to respond to a change in the audio output device. If headphones are in when I start Trout and then I unplug the headphones, no songs will play. It shows an "error" or "notification" symbol/icon in the playlist and skips to the next song, at which point it does the same thing, etc.

Same thing happens if headphones are unplugged when Trout starts and then get plugged in.

Basically, I have to restart Trout to get it to play songs if I change the audio output from speakers to headphones.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #741 on: October 04, 2011, 08:11 PM »
I will assume you are using USB-based headphones?  If so, you're correct, Trout doesn't know how to handle that.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #742 on: October 05, 2011, 02:13 AM »
It seems as though Trout doesn't know how to respond to a change in the audio output device. If headphones are in when I start Trout and then I unplug the headphones, no songs will play. It shows an "error" or "notification" symbol/icon in the playlist and skips to the next song, at which point it does the same thing, etc.

Same thing happens if headphones are unplugged when Trout starts and then get plugged in.

Basically, I have to restart Trout to get it to play songs if I change the audio output from speakers to headphones.

I find quite a few programs have the same feature. And I don't use usb headphones. It is something I take advantage of some times as well as being a minor inconvenience at others. Never tried to list which progs worked this way and which don't.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #743 on: October 05, 2011, 02:55 AM »
I will assume you are using USB-based headphones?  If so, you're correct, Trout doesn't know how to handle that.

Yes I'm using USB-based headphones.

I find quite a few programs have the same feature. And I don't use usb headphones. It is something I take advantage of some times as well as being a minor inconvenience at others. Never tried to list which progs worked this way and which don't.

Other programs will still make the sounds, but they will continue to play on the initial device they were told to play on. e.g. If the audio device was the speakers and I plug the headphones in, the audio will still play on the speakers. Or if the audio device was the headphones and I unplug them, it will still play (or act like it is playing the sound) but of course I can't hear it because the headphones are no longer plugged in.

Trout is different in that it doesn't "pretend" to play the audio file. It just errors out on each track and skips to the next one.

I guess I'm still trying to decide if Trout refusing to play a track when the audio device has changed is smarter/better than just playing the file on the original audio device even if that means you can't hear it. :-\

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #744 on: October 07, 2011, 08:52 PM »
v1.0.6 build 24 - 2011-10-07
    ! MOD, IT, S3M, & MIDI playback was broken.  (Thanks, Matera the Mad)

Sfre

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #745 on: October 12, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Great job on Trout :Thmbsup: It's amazing and exactly what I was looking for.

But I'm writing this for a few feature requests.

1. Could it be possible to add a queue to Trout? Also when you queue could a little number or something show up next to the song to show that I've queued it?

2. On the minibar where you have the love track button for last.fm, could that be moved to the actual player somewhere? and when you click on it can it love the song without taking you to the songs page where you manually have to love it?

3. With the album art viewer, even though it's small would it be possible to make the art a little more clear?

If you could include these things that would be great. Good job!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #746 on: October 12, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Hi Sfre, and welcome to the site.

Great job on Trout :Thmbsup: It's amazing and exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks.  If you don't mind me asking, where did you find out about Trout?  Wow, that rhymes.   :D

1. Could it be possible to add a queue to Trout? Also when you queue could a little number or something show up next to the song to show that I've queued it?

2. On the minibar where you have the love track button for last.fm, could that be moved to the actual player somewhere? and when you click on it can it love the song without taking you to the songs page where you manually have to love it?

3. With the album art viewer, even though it's small would it be possible to make the art a little more clear?

@1: I'm a little confused here.  You can easily add tracks to the main interface and Trout will continue playing them until it reaches the end of your list.  You can move tracks up and down through the list by highlighting the tracks in question and using ctrl-up and ctrl-down.

@2: Unfortunately, this was part of the last.fm API that I couldn't figure out and make work.  What you see is somewhat of a crappy compromise.  As for it being on the main player interface, you can right-click the last.fm icon and choose "Go to last.fm's track page."  Yeah, not too elegant.   :-[

@3: I'm going to bet you're experiencing some scaling issues with the album art.  If so, you're correct, I don't do any sort of image smoothing for two reasons: 1) To keep the CPU usage down and 2) the album art display is rather small and I'm not sure smoothing would do a whole lot of good anyway.  If you weren't aware, you can double-click the album art pic to bring it up in your default image viewer.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Sfre

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #747 on: October 12, 2011, 01:51 PM »
I found it looking through the Audio Players section on http://codecpack.co/

1. I've added all my music to the player and I know of moving the tracks around but I didn't want all of my music to be out of place and have to re-add everything again. I also clicked the columns to sort everything back into place but it never really gets it back in order once I've moved one track or a few around.

2. That is unfortunate but overall it's no big deal  ;)

3. Oh ok I see, well I've rather it be faster then anything else so this is no big deal either.

Also, I'll have a song on repeat, it will only get scrobbled one time no matter how many times I listen to it. Just something I noticed and I rarely repeat a song so it's not a problem for me.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #748 on: October 12, 2011, 02:07 PM »
I found it looking through the Audio Players section on http://codecpack.co/

I love that site's simple, no bullsh!t layout.

1. I've added all my music to the player and I know of moving the tracks around but I didn't want all of my music to be out of place and have to re-add everything again. I also clicked the columns to sort everything back into place but it never really gets it back in order once I've moved one track or a few around.

Understood.  I'm going to send you a PM with some instructions that may help you out.

Also, I'll have a song on repeat, it will only get scrobbled one time no matter how many times I listen to it. Just something I noticed and I rarely repeat a song so it's not a problem for me.

If I recall correctly, another user reported this and we determined that it was last.fm doing this.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #749 on: October 12, 2011, 06:35 PM »
I'm not sure if this is something you can handle or not, but when I go to add new music (folder) to the playlist, the directory tree is expanded but the scrollbar isn't scrolled to the correct place.

Any way to get the list scrolled down to the currently selected directory?

Pics of what I'm talking about:

Here it shows the default Browse for Folder dialog. Note that the Aeronic directory is already chosen since that is the last folder I added.
Trout Browse.jpgNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)

But look how far down I need to scroll to get there:
Trout Browse Scrolled.jpgNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)