topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)  (Read 688041 times)

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Trout
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2009, 07:30 AM »

[/quote]

If you do have internet access checked, it will attempt to get artist/title information from freedb.org based on the CD disc ID.  If the information for that particular disc ID is not available on freedb.org, it will simply add the tracks generically as above.  Make sense?  Please let me know if it works out for you.  Thanks.
[/quote]

Hi again skwire
Just need a little further clarification.
the internet part is working ok getting the data etc and is playing the songs as it should be.

I need clarification on when Trout fails to locate the CD data of the internet does it automaticily load the songs as [D] CD Track 1 etc etc.   or do I have to manaully use file menu - add folder
At present that is what I am having to do and then I run into this problem over the files being only allowed to start from the beginning and playing straight through to the end with some of the controls having any no effect. the stop and start are ok but selecting a song lower in the list doesn't work and Trout keeps on reverting back to the 1st song being played.

Everything works perfectly when the data has been downloaded off the internet but the same can't be said with the CD that the internet can't supply the data

regards nogojoe

Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2009, 08:18 AM »
I need clarification on when Trout fails to locate the CD data of the internet does it automaticily load the songs as [D] CD Track 1 etc etc.   or do I have to manaully use file menu - add folder
It should load the generic titles automatically.

At present that is what I am having to do and then I run into this problem over the files being only allowed to start from the beginning and playing straight through to the end with some of the controls having any no effect. the stop and start are ok but selecting a song lower in the list doesn't work and Trout keeps on reverting back to the 1st song being played.

Everything works perfectly when the data has been downloaded off the internet but the same can't be said with the CD that the internet can't supply the data
That is very odd because it shouldn't matter what is showing under the tag columns.  The column that matters for all playback is the path column.  That column should be the same whether there is internet data or not.  So, to summarise:

1) You have "Allow internet access" checked.
2) You try a CD that doesn't have a freedb match (so it should default to generic titles).
3) You don't see the generic titles listed?  Or do you?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2009, 08:25 AM »
in Billy, you can set it so that if it's your default audio player, and you double-click one file in explorer, all files in that folder are loaded into the current playlist. it's just a quick way of loading an album.
No, Trout does not currently support that type of functionality.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2009, 08:27 AM »
v1.0.1 build 73
    + Added option for a custom string display when tags are missing.  The
      default string is "<missing>" but you can change it to whatever you'd
      like.  Tools, Options, General, Tags section. [Thanks, app103]

Still no tag editing but at least you don't have to stare at blank cells now.  =]

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2009, 02:47 PM »

1) You have "Allow internet access" checked.
2) You try a CD that doesn't have a freedb match (so it should default to generic titles).
3) You don't see the generic titles listed?  Or do you?

[/quote]

Hi skwire

The trouble I am having now is with  "allow internet access" enabled trout searches for the data
and comes up with this on the bottom taskbar 

Match found for Disc IDf20b6d10  Track titles added .......  But there is nothing added!!!! blank window.

On some discs it loads the appropiate data almost instantly as it should.

On the above disc quoted with the internet access unchecked it instantly load the music files as Track 1 etc and Trout works as it should.

I uninstalled the previous version and installed the latest v 73

nogojoe

Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2009, 04:18 PM »
Match found for Disc IDf20b6d10  Track titles added .......  But there is nothing added!!!! blank window.
Would you please download and install the latest (build 76)?  I've added some logging to the freedb routines in this build so:

1) Start Trout.
2) Attempt to play the problem CD or any other CDs you're having trouble with.
3) Close Trout.
4) PM me the "freedb.log" file in your Trout install folder.  Or, you could simply paste it in this thread but please use code tags if you do.

By the way, there is no need to uninstall previous versions of Trout when installing new ones.  Just close out Trout and install right over the top and your settings will be preserved.  Thanks for your patience on this.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 04:20 PM by skwire »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2009, 01:39 AM »
Thanks for the logs, nogojoe.  Please install build 77 and see if that fixes the issue for you.

v1.0.1 build 77
    * Changed the freedb.org parsing routine to handle CDs that return multiple
      matches. [Thanks, nogojoe]

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2009, 02:47 AM »
Thanks for the logs, nogojoe.  Please install build 77 and see if that fixes the issue for you.

v1.0.1 build 77
    * Changed the freedb.org parsing routine to handle CDs that return multiple
      matches. [Thanks, nogojoe]

thanks a lot for that skwire.

Working perfectly now   :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: nice workaround of the problem  :D :D
I was beginning to think that the problems perhaps related to my comp or Cd drive

Trout picked up the data off the internet with the CD's I was having trouble with and one that it couldn't loaded up as it should without the internet data

Sorry i didn't get on to the real problem earlier but when you fixed the last state of the window on close down trout did to good of a job. I had maximised the programs windows to the fullest and was not being able to see the bottom taskbar   :redface: :redface::wallbash:.

nice to see Skan from AHK in your credits He seems to be Mr Autohotkey from what I have read in their forum

Is build 80 going to include hotkey I mentioned earlier   ;)

nogojoe

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2009, 01:17 PM »
thanks a lot for that skwire.
Working perfectly now   :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: nice workaround of the problem  :D :D
I was beginning to think that the problems perhaps related to my comp or Cd drive

You're welcome.  Honestly, I had something like that planned from the start (the multi-select popup) but I had hoped just picking the first in the list would get me by while I worked on other stuff.  You forced my hand!  That's a good thing, though.

nice to see Skan from AHK in your credits He seems to be Mr Autohotkey from what I have read in their forum
He is very creative and one helluva nice guy.  I can't say enough good things about him.

Is build 80 going to include hotkey I mentioned earlier   ;)

Unfortunately, no, it isn't.  But build 79 is.  =]

v1.0.1 build 79
    + Added "Play CD in drive ?:" as a hotkeyable item.  This should work
      dynamically for any number of & letter of CDROM drives.  [Thanks, nogojoe]

Let me know how it works out for you.  Thanks, again, for your continued feedback.

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2009, 02:55 PM »
[quote author=skwire link=topic=16157.msg145571#msg145571 date=12314
v1.0.1 build 79
    + Added "Play CD in drive ?:" as a hotkeyable item.  This should work
      dynamically for any number of & letter of CDROM drives.  [Thanks, nogojoe]

Let me know how it works out for you.  Thanks, again, for your continued feedback.
[/quote]

Perfect   " A thing of beauty and a joy forever  "

nogojoe

chrisk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2009, 03:51 AM »
hi all,
is there an alternative download URL, the ones given in the opening post don't seem to work (any more).
thanks,
chrisk

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2009, 05:25 AM »
hi all,
is there an alternative download URL, the ones given in the opening post don't seem to work (any more).
thanks,
chrisk

It does now.

chrisk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2009, 06:42 AM »
great (although it works here only for the exe, not the portable zip version...oh well...)
thatnks!
chrisk

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2009, 09:54 PM »
Apologies, I was out of town.  Both links appear to work for me.  Can you verify once more, please?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2009, 10:38 AM »
Today (11-01-2009) both downloads are inaccessible when using the FF plugin DownThemAll and my old but trusty Net Transport 1.87.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2009, 10:48 AM »
I've put up some alternate links hosted on my own webserver.  They'll be a little slower but would you mind testing those, please?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2009, 10:59 AM »
Both alternate links are working, thanks for your help.  :Thmbsup:

Currently it is even impossible (for me) to reach http://www.autohotkey.net because of time-out errors.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2009, 11:05 AM »
Thanks for testing.  I'll be moving the main links over to DC space in the near future.

apfel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2009, 12:10 PM »
Maybe you could add a Queue List (with HotKey and rightclickmenu entry to add tracks )?

Possible ways to realize it:
- separate window with 1,2,3... track's in a list in the playing order.
  > additional option: auto remove last played track from Queue, if  Checkbox is set to.(<-prefer this solution)

- new column, which shows  [track Position in Queue/Queue Count of tracks]. (The column should refresh the infos, but this may lead to greater cpu usage...)

another features:
- Skip unplayble (red signs) tracks and continue with the next track.
- more accurate seekbar.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Maybe you could add a Queue List (with HotKey and rightclickmenu entry to add tracks )?

> additional option: auto remove last played track from Queue, if  Checkbox is set to.(<-prefer this solution)
Hmmm...I never listen to music like this.  I usually just load up an album or two and play them.  Is there another player out that does this?

- new column, which shows  [track Position in Queue/Queue Count of tracks]. (The column should refresh the infos, but this may lead to greater cpu usage...)
In the latest build, I had already added another statusbar section that shows the currently highlighted track number and total number of tracks e.g. 2/12.  Would that suffice?

another features:
- Skip unplayble (red signs) tracks and continue with the next track.
- more accurate seekbar.

Doh...I must've broken the "skip over unplayable tracks" functionality because that's how it used to work.  I'll fix it.  As for a more accurate seekbar, I'm not sure what you mean.  It should be accurate to the second.  Did you want finer control than this?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2009, 04:28 PM »
I really hope the basic tag editing capabilities I added in this build will be enough for most folks.  I honestly have no desire to extend Trout in this area when there are SOOO many much more capable tag editors out there.  Please, please, please try this out on copies of your files and report to me any bugs.  I've tested it out here but I will continue to use mp3Tag for all my tag editing needs.

v1.0.1 build 80
    + Added "Rescan tags of selected files" to the edit menu.
    + Added BASIC tag editing capabilities to Trout.  There are some caveats.
      You can only edit one file at a time and, by default, the following
      tag types will be written to the following file types:

mp3   ID3v2 tags
      aac   ID3v2 tags
      wma   WMA fields
      ape   APEv2 tags
      flac  Vorbis comments
      ogg   Vorbis comments
      mp4   Not implemented yet
      wav   None

You can TRY to force ID3v1, ID3v2, and/or APEv2 tags by checking the
      appropriate boxes.  This does not work for all file types.
    + Added another section to the statusbar that shows the total number of
      tracks in the playlist as well as whatever row is focused e.g. 2/12.     
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:42 PM by skwire »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2009, 06:31 PM »
The tagging is perfect for me. I didn't really need more than what you have done. I agree with you about there being better tagging editors, if you are ripping CD's.

But what this single tag editing is great for is for filling in the most important data that is occasional missing on a song I have downloaded from somewhere. (usually not a full album of files and instead only a track or 2)

I get a lot of stuff from sites like last.fm and garageband.com. (I am really into obscure, undiscovered artists/music and collect a lot of stray songs) The latter is really bad with tagging, sometimes, jamming both artist & title into the title tag and leaving the artist empty (not always easy to spot in a playlist in Winamp), or sometimes it's in all caps (yuck!), or it's just a complete mess.

This single file tag editing and <missing> makes it much easier to spot and quickly fix, when I get a file like that, and much easier to fix the file names with a better application like mp3tag, later on (yeah, often the file names are a bit messed up, too, and this stuff usually isn't in any CD databases...it needs all the help it can get before I can run it through mp3tag, and it has to be done manually)

Here is an example of some of the messy stray songs I have recently acquired (before fixing it):

file name: Zombies___the_Woodsman-Belle_Isle.mp3

How it displays in Trout:
SNAG-00038.png

How it displays in Winamp:
SNAG-00037.png

Where I downloaded the file from: (foul language warning!) http://www.garageban...tist/belleisle/songs

This artist isn't Asian (he's British), so there is no good reason for it to be looking like that in either player (or for me to leave it like that).

I like this idea...a lot! Just keep removing songs from the playlist after they are played, till the list is empty.

It could be added as another type of play mode and no additional window would really be necessary.

Hmmm...I never listen to music like this.  I usually just load up an album or two and play them.  Is there another player out that does this?

There is only one that I know of offhand (lala.com) but it's a web based player for "storing" and streaming your own collection from any location, and it limits you to 50 files in both playlists & queue, and often it doesn't save your queue between sessions. There is no way to just load up my whole collection and let it go, adding new files as I acquire them, and picking up where I left off on the last session.

If Trout could do that, it would be fantastic!

apfel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2009, 10:42 AM »
Is there another player out that does this?
Yes, foobar have a plugin, which can assign/bind a new playlist as a queue-showing-playlist. You can have a big playlist with many albums and enqueue diffrent tracks, which are displayed at the queue playlist.

seekbar
When I try to seek through the track the slider jumps backs on its previous position.
It only works with realy big jumps like some seconds befor end of track. Same behavior with mouswheel.

Edit: Okay, found out you need to drag the slider to the wished position and release, but after release fast left click on the slider again to "confirm" the position.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:45 AM by apfel »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2009, 12:03 AM »
Yes, foobar have a plugin, which can assign/bind a new playlist as a queue-showing-playlist. You can have a big playlist with many albums and enqueue diffrent tracks, which are displayed at the queue playlist.
At this point, I would prefer to keep Trout with a single list.  Would adding another play mode that removes the tracks as they play be sufficient?

When I try to seek through the track the slider jumps backs on its previous position.
It only works with realy big jumps like some seconds befor end of track. Same behavior with mouswheel.

Edit: Okay, found out you need to drag the slider to the wished position and release, but after release fast left click on the slider again to "confirm" the position.
In regards to the large jumps, I think we're running into the limitations of the standard slider control.  As for your second issue, you shouldn't have to left-click again on the thumb to set the position.  It should move to the new track position as soon as you release the thumb.  It does here, anyway.  Can anybody else confirm this?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 12:17 AM by skwire »

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2009, 01:31 AM »

In regards to the large jumps, I think we're running into the limitations of the standard slider control.  As for your second issue, you shouldn't have to left-click again on the thumb to set the position.  It should move to the new track position as soon as you release the thumb.  It does here, anyway.  Can anybody else confirm this?

I have had a play with the slider control and I get no response from using the mousewheel.(Not that I would ever use it)

The slider control works OK with me as long as you hold the mouse pointer right on it, slides back and forth giving the track time, no jumping back and forth as such as  apfel described.

The only time that happened was when I clicked the seekbar on either side of the control slider then it jumps about 54 seconds forward and back can't really see any need to be doing that though.

However it takes 3 clicks on the seekbar forward of the slider control to go from the start to the finish of a song there could be some use in doing that if you want a quick preview of a song.

nogojoe