topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)  (Read 687895 times)

apfel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Trout
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 06:42 AM »
Could you elaborate, please?  Dropping onto what, the playlist?  If so, I'm not sure what the issue could be since I use that functionality all day long without issue.  Thanks for your continued feedback.

I droped a folder with japanese characters in the name. Ansi Folder Names work fine.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 08:59 AM »
I droped a folder with japanese characters in the name. Ansi Folder Names work fine.

Yep, unicode paths won't work at this point.  If I can figure out a way to implement them, you can bet I will.  =]

I just updated with build 26.  Please let me know if the search feature works how you would like.

v1.0.1 build 26
    + Added "View changelog" entry to the Help menu.
    + Added tooltip when hovering over minibar icons.
      It will use the titlebar formatting template. [Thanks, app103]
    + Added a find-as-you-type search feature under the Edit menu. [Thanks, apfel]
    * Moved "Justify columns now" entry to the View menu.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 09:22 AM »
BTW, the default local hotkey for the list search function is F3.  However, you can set a global hotkey for it and use it even while Trout is hidden e.g. in the tray.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:30 AM by skwire »

apfel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 10:43 AM »
Nice search function  :Thmbsup: .
 Found another behavior issues:
- seekbar stops refreshing, when open right-click menu on playlist.
- open right-click-menu and click on another spot on the playlist opens the menu again.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 11:32 AM »
Nice search function  :Thmbsup: .
Thanks!  I've improved it a bit in the latest build:

v1.0.1 build 33
    ! The list search window wasn't set as owner properly which resulted in an
      unwanted taskbar button.
    + Added keyboard control to the Find Track dialog.  Up/down/enter now affect
      the listbox as one would expect them to.

Man, I really need to get the auto-updater routines written.  =]

Found another behavior issues:
- seekbar stops refreshing, when open right-click menu on playlist.
- open right-click-menu and click on another spot on the playlist opens the menu again.

Unfortunately, there isn't going to be anything I can do about this.  All AHK apps are affected in this manner.  Granted, this behaviour is not limited to AHK; other languages are affected in the same manner.  Good thing that, for the most part, it's strictly a cosmetic issue.

apfel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Found another Bug, start song->find track->click currently played song->result player plays now two songs simultaneously.

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 12:27 AM »
possibly found another bug

running Trout and playing songs off CD drive  if you double left click the mouse in the clear space below the list of songs generated Trout seizes up stops playing.

can only close down by the close menu on the computer taskbar or via the Windows task Manager to kill Trout.

if you left doubleclick on the songs available Trout starts to play the song   anywhere else it seizes up ....which I can now add even if you left doubleclick a song that is not highlighted and playing Trout seizes up
2nd Edit

again with playing songs from CD if you start one song from the list generated and then stop it from playing you can't restart a song either from double clicking or from pressing the start button top left you have to close down and restart

Nogojoe

Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:05 AM by nogojoe »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 07:07 AM »
Found another Bug, start song->find track->click currently played song->result player plays now two songs simultaneously.
possibly found another bug
running Trout and playing songs off CD drive  if you double left click the mouse in the clear space below the list of songs generated Trout seizes up stops playing.
can only close down by the close menu on the computer taskbar or via the Windows task Manager to kill Trout.
if you left doubleclick on the songs available Trout starts to play the song   anywhere else it seizes up ....which I can now add even if you left doubleclick a song that is not highlighted and playing Trout seizes up
2nd Edit
again with playing songs from CD if you start one song from the list generated and then stop it from playing you can't restart a song either from double clicking or from pressing the start button top left you have to close down and restart

Please try the latest build.  I think I solved a race condition that may have resulted in the behaviour you both described.  Hope so, anyway.  =]

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 02:51 PM »
Hi Skwire

that fixed them ok. 
The only thing that happens now is that if you left double click outside the song list it just restarts the song  only if you do that unintentionally ,in the long run not necessary to try and fix
the rest is perfect

Thanks  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

nogojoe
Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 05:39 PM »
that fixed them ok.
Good to know.  Thanks for the testing and the feedback.

The only thing that happens now is that if you left double click outside the song list it just restarts the song  only if you do that unintentionally ,in the long run not necessary to try and fix
the rest is perfect
I'm curious, what would you rather it do?  I'd assume nothing, eh?

garbanzo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 04:41 AM »
this is huge!

as much as i love Billy (i've heard an update is due soon!), you're right, it's a bit too slim.

i'm at work now so i can't try this out, but it's going to be my first order of business when i get home!

can this open a folder full of files at once by just opening one file like Billy does?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2009, 05:59 AM »
can this open a folder full of files at once by just opening one file like Billy does?

Hmmm...I'm not sure what you mean by "open a folder full of files at once by just opening one file."  With Trout, you can use the following methods:

"File -> Add file(s)"  This will bring up a standard file selection dialog where you can select one or more files to load.
"File -> Add folder"  This will bring up a standard folder selection dialog where you can select a folder.  It will load that folder recursively.
"File -> Load playlist"  This will bring up a standard file selection dialog where you can load a playlist file (m3u, pls, or wpl).  This might be what you're referring to.
"File -> Add URL"  This will bring up a small dialog to let you paste in a URL to attempt to stream.
You can also simply drag and drop folders or files to the playlist, program icon, or minibars.

Does that answer your question?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:02 AM by skwire »

garbanzo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2009, 07:32 AM »
thanks for the reply. i'll try to be more clear.

in Billy, you can set it so that if it's your default audio player, and you double-click one file in explorer, all files in that folder are loaded into the current playlist. it's just a quick way of loading an album.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Doing my promised XP test...

I am happy to say that all the issues reported before were 9x (or slow pc) related and not appearing on XP.

Is there anything you can do about untagged files leaving a blank line?

SNAG-00026.pngNANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)

(on second thought, this might be a good thing, since it will allow me to easily see which files have missing tags, so I can fix them)

I am in love with the minibar! (you still need to make sure it can't leave the desktop, though) :-*

SNAG-00028.png

This is a really nice player and there are only a few reasons left for me to ever use Winamp again:

• last.fm support
  • tag editing
  • media library
  • ability to remove dead files & duplicates from playlists
  • ability to send nasty songs to recycle bin
  • Explorer shell integration (play or enqueue from context menu)

Other than those, you have it ALL covered for me.  :Thmbsup:

Credits on their way.

apfel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2009, 09:40 AM »
The same problem for me, after adding radio station to the playlist.
I cant see anything because I set the path column to off.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2009, 09:44 AM »
How about an field under Options where you can enter in whatever you'd like to appear if a tag is missing?  You could put something like "<missing>", etc.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Doing my promised XP test...
I am happy to say that all the issues reported before were 9x (or slow pc) related and not appearing on XP.
Thank you very much.  That is great to hear.

(see attachment in previous post)
(on second thought, this might be a good thing, since it will allow me to easily see which files have missing tags, so I can fix them)
As I mentioned to apfel, how about an option where you could specify what would go there?  "<missing>", "<tag me please>", etc.  =]

I am in love with the minibar! (you still need to make sure it can't leave the desktop, though) :-*
Do you mean you would like it constrained within the desktop boundaries set by 1) screen edge or 2) app bars?

This is a really nice player and there are only a few reasons left for me to ever use Winamp again:
[snip]

- Even though last.fm support is not something I use, it _is_ on my short list.

- Tag editing...hmmmm...I've struggled with deciding to add this or not.  My reasons are twofold, 1) I'm loathe to modify user files (I'd really hate to screw that up, you know?) and 2) there are much more capable tag editors out there than I could ever hope to write.  That being said, it wouldn't be difficult to add simple tagging capabilities.  Would one file at a time (and just the basic fields) be okay with you?  Or were you hoping for multiple files at a time (definitely doable).

- Media library.  Again, something I've been shying away from doing in the hopes of keeping Trout a small, simple player.  What did you have in mind?

- Remove dead and duplicates.  Yes, I'll add these.

- Nasties to recycle bin.  Yes, will do.

- Explorer shell integration.  I actually have this (mostly) working.  It works fine if you select only one file (or one folder) and choose the context menu entry.  The interesting thing is that my code does handle multiple files/folders when dropped onto the playlist and/or the application shortcut.  However, when called from the context menu, the list is out of order and seems to come in randomly.  I need to do some more research into this to learn how to handle it.

Credits on their way.

Thank you.  =]

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2009, 07:47 PM »
The library isn't mandatory. I can get by without that. Don't worry about it.

Some sort of marking of <missing tag> would be just fine.

It's important you don't include that info in what you send to last.fm (when you support that), and don't send any info for files in which either the title or artist tags are missing.

Simple tag editing of one file at a time, just so I can fill in the missing stuff that should be showing in the playlist is all I need: Artist - Title - Album - Year - Genre (same stuff you show in the list)

That way if I notice a file has missing info I can quick fill it in before it plays, and the right info can be sent to last.fm.

I know you are doing this in AHK, but here is sort of what I mean about confining the minibar to desktop, in Delphi:
Code: Delphi [Select]
  1. procedure TForm1.OnMove(var Msg: TWMMove);
  2.   // prevents form from leaving screen
  3. begin
  4.   inherited;
  5.   if Form1.Left <= 0 then
  6.     Form1.Left := 0;
  7.   if Form1.Top <= 0 then
  8.     Form1.Top := 0;
  9.   if Form1.Left >= Screen.Width - Form1.Width then
  10.     Form1.Left := Screen.Width - Form1.Width;
  11.   if Form1.Top >= Screen.Height - Form1.Height then
  12.     Form1.Top := Screen.Height - Form1.Height;
  13. end;

Only you don't want to base it on screen like I did there. You would be better off basing it on the desktop or you'll have issues with multi-monitor situations, where the minibar wouldn't be able to be placed on a different monitor other than the main one.

- Explorer shell integration.  I actually have this (mostly) working.  It works fine if you select only one file (or one folder) and choose the context menu entry.  The interesting thing is that my code does handle multiple files/folders when dropped onto the playlist and/or the application shortcut.  However, when called from the context menu, the list is out of order and seems to come in randomly.  I need to do some more research into this to learn how to handle it.

The list is usually randomly out of order in Winamp when loading multiple files from Explorer, too, so don't feel bad.

But wouldn't toggling the listbox sort property off and then back on (to resort) fix that?

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2009, 09:56 PM »
Hi skwire.

Possibly another bug.
I'm having trouble getting Trout to play from my CD player using your File Menu -Play audio CD in drive *.

If it can't load the full data full  off the CD (or does it get it from the internet ??)  it fails to load and I have to go to File Menu -Add folder to get it to load and then it only loads as Track01.cda etc.
then I start the songs off at track 1 and if I want select track 4  it won't let me it has to play track 1 and the only way to get to track 4 is to wait till its turn comes up.
I thought maybe the doubleclicking was causing the trouble and tried to select track 1 and using the up-down keys with enter but same still applies just plays track 1.

nogojoe

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2009, 10:09 PM »
nogojoe.

Did you check the box in the options that allows it to fetch the track info from the internet?

SNAG-00029.png

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2009, 10:26 PM »
If it can't load the full data full  off the CD (or does it get it from the internet ??)  it fails to load and I have to go to File Menu -Add folder to get it to load and then it only loads as Track01.cda etc.

That was my fault.  When I uploaded build 71, I noticed this issue and silently uploaded a build 72.  Make sure you're running build 72 in Help, About.  If not, grab the installer again.  My apologies.  If you want title information for CDs, you will need to check the box that app referenced.

Edit (for clarity):
Here's how the CD loading works now.  If you don't have internet access checked, it will simply load tracks from the CD like this e.g.:

[D:] CD Track 01
[D:] CD Track 02
[D:] CD Track 03

If you do have internet access checked, it will attempt to get artist/title information from freedb.org based on the CD disc ID.  If the information for that particular disc ID is not available on freedb.org, it will simply add the tracks generically as above.  Make sense?  Please let me know if it works out for you.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 10:35 PM by skwire »

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2009, 12:31 AM »

That was my fault.  When I uploaded build 71, I noticed this issue and silently uploaded a build 72.  Make sure you're running build 72 in Help, About.  If not, grab the installer again.  My apologies.  If you want title information for CDs, you will need to check the box that app referenced.

Please let me know if it works out for you.  Thanks.

Hi skwire
 Thanks for that going alright now.
nogojoe   
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 12:33 AM by nogojoe »

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2009, 02:40 AM »
Hi again skwire

Couple of things

1 the mini bar .  is it possible to be able to move it at present it sits in the middle of the screen and unless I'm missing something I can't get to shift from that position.

2 Would it be possible to add to the hotkeys action "Play Audio CD in Drive D"

Thanks nogojoe

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2009, 04:28 AM »
1 the mini bar .  is it possible to be able to move it at present it sits in the middle of the screen and unless I'm missing something I can't get to shift from that position.
Just click and drag on the minibar's Trout icon.

Sure, lemme see what I can do.  =]

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2009, 04:35 AM »
Just click and drag on the minibar's Trout icon.

Sure, lemme see what I can do.  =]

Gee Thqnks skwire I clicked everywhere else bar there
nogojoe