topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)  (Read 688042 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)
« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2009, 09:59 PM »
thanks again for the bug-fix and DCupdate feature, now i'm using build 127. :)
You're most welcome.  =]  Next build will be up in a minute.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2009, 10:01 PM »
Here are your requests, brotherS:

v1.0.2 build 129
    + Added a hidden setting for more aggressive listview refreshing.  If you're
      experiencing listview painting issues, add the following entry to the Settings
      section of your config.ini:  Force_Listview_Refresh=1
      [Thanks, daonlyfreez]
    + Added an option to specify the seek jump interval in seconds.  Default is a jump of
      one second.  Tools, Options, Miscellaneous section.  [Thanks, brotherS]
    * The statusbar track times (TE: & TR:) now update while a track is paused.  [Thanks, brotherS]
    ! Fixed 'Remove dupes' and 'Remove dead entries' broken in build 119.
    ! Fixed the list search broken in build 119.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:06 PM by skwire »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2009, 04:59 AM »
Here are your requests, brotherS:

+ Added an option to specify the seek jump interval in seconds.  Default is a jump of
      one second.  Tools, Options, Miscellaneous section.  [Thanks, brotherS]
Thanks, excellent!

* The statusbar track times (TE: & TR:) now update while a track is paused.  [Thanks, brotherS]
This is not working when I rewind or fast forward with a keyboard shortcut, only with the mouse. I'd like a 'live' update like in xmplay.

Also, would it be possible to set a custom font (size) for the statusbar?

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2009, 05:16 AM »
Another idea: how about a 'roger beep' that makes you realize that Trout jumped to another file in the playlist? Maybe I'm the only one ever missing something like that, I don't know. 8)

Reason why: when I listen to audio books - while not looking at the PC - I like to know when I reached a new file, either for note-taking or to use that to pause listening and to resume at the beginning of a file later.

Also, did you think about adding an (optional?) graphical reprensentation of the current part of the file being played? Like in mp3DirectCut? It's sometimes quite helpful.

Like this:

And another edit: how about adding the website link from the about window (great idea! only saw it now) also to the context menu of the tray icon and/or to the Help menu directly?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:41 AM by brotherS »

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2009, 06:58 AM »
FYI EvilLyrics works fine with Trout

What about A-B repeat ? It'd be useful to learn foreign languages

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2009, 08:20 AM »
This is not working when I rewind or fast forward with a keyboard shortcut, only with the mouse. I'd like a 'live' update like in xmplay.
Re-download and try the latest build.  I think it'll act like you're expecting it to.  As for the status bar font, it can be done.  However, the problem is that the statusbar itself won't resize vertically to fit.  Question, are you running at a DPI of something other than the default of 96...120, perhaps?

Another idea: how about a 'roger beep' that makes you realize that Trout jumped to another file in the playlist? Maybe I'm the only one ever missing something like that, I don't know. 8)
Reason why: when I listen to audio books - while not looking at the PC - I like to know when I reached a new file, either for note-taking or to use that to pause listening and to resume at the beginning of a file later.
I'm guessing that the balloon tip notify or toaster popup don't serve you well in this case?  You prefer something audible rather than visual?

Also, did you think about adding an (optional?) graphical reprensentation of the current part of the file being played? Like in mp3DirectCut? It's sometimes quite helpful.
At some point, I hope to add a spectrum analyzer of some sort.  However, this is way down my list.

And another edit: how about adding the website link from the about window (great idea! only saw it now) also to the context menu of the tray icon and/or to the Help menu directly?
The About window does have a website button (I ought to make a real site or something, eh?  =).  Adding it to the Help menu is no problem.

FYI EvilLyrics works fine with Trout
What about A-B repeat ? It'd be useful to learn foreign languages
Ah, nice to know it works with EvilLyrics, thanks.  I'd assume EvilLyrics sees Trout as a "Winamp", right?  I built in a portion of the WinampAPI into Trout for this very reason...so that it would work with stuff like Samurize, IRC scripts, my own bbLean widgets, etc.   Hmmm....A-B repeat...  My first thought was no way but the more I think about it, the more I like it.  How would you like this to function?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2009, 08:37 AM »
Ah, nice to know it works with EvilLyrics, thanks.  I'd assume EvilLyrics sees Trout as a "Winamp", right?  I built in a portion of the WinampAPI into Trout for this very reason...so that it would work with stuff like Samurize, IRC scripts, my own bbLean widgets, etc.

What exactly does that mean?

Are things that look for info from currently running instance of Winamp supposed to see Trout as an instance of Winamp? If so, it didn't work with the 3 things I tried it with, and crashed 2 of them.

Both xchat (with a winamp plugin) & Amp2MX (winamp automatic chatroom spammer) crashed, and RoboMX (chat client) just gave an error message of "the parameter is incorrect" when using the display current winamp song command.

Was there something I misunderstood about what this is for?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2009, 09:31 AM »
What exactly does that mean?

Are things that look for info from currently running instance of Winamp supposed to see Trout as an instance of Winamp? If so, it didn't work with the 3 things I tried it with, and crashed 2 of them.

Both xchat (with a winamp plugin) & Amp2MX (winamp automatic chatroom spammer) crashed, and RoboMX (chat client) just gave an error message of "the parameter is incorrect" when using the display current winamp song command.

Was there something I misunderstood about what this is for?
You understood correctly.  I've tested it on Samurize, vIRC (IRC client I use), and some other WinampAPI-dependant applications and all worked properly.  It's possible that the apps you mention are querying portions of the WinampAPI that I don't have implemented.  I'll install and test on XChat later today.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2009, 09:56 AM »
I am using a .dll plugin that came with my copy of xchat (non-official version)

The other "plugin" that I am using that you could try is Amp2MX, which was originally designed to work with WinMX but works with a number of chat clients, like mIRC and a bunch of others that can handle a /me command. (not xchat though)

Setting the window handle of your chat client is a little weird though.

You have to right click the tray icon and select "Add Room" and then move the message box over the chat input area (right where you type) of the channel you want to use it in and make sure your mouse is directly over that when you click OK. Once you have done that, to display a song playing (on demand) you select "Display Song" from the tray menu, or to automate it to display automatically on song change you would select "Automatic Display".

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2009, 03:05 PM »
I'd assume EvilLyrics sees Trout as a "Winamp", right?
Yeah! It looks for the song that Trout is playing

Hmmm....A-B repeat...  My first thought was no way but the more I think about it, the more I like it.  How would you like this to function?
Well it could be this way. User CTRL+LeftClicks over the progress bar to mark selection start ( A ) and selection end ( B ). A third ctrl-Leftclick would cancel A-B.
If A-B is enabled and user rightClicks over pb then path and A and B times would be copied to clipboard.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Re-download and try the latest build.  I think it'll act like you're expecting it to.  As for the status bar font, it can be done.  However, the problem is that the statusbar itself won't resize vertically to fit.  Question, are you running at a DPI of something other than the default of 96...120, perhaps?
The rewind/ff with a file being paused now works, thanks!

No, I'm using the standard DPI, but my screen is at a distance from me (not at arm's length), so an option to increase that would help to read it better. But I can see it would be an issue with the fitting statusbar.

Strange: for the second time, when I was trying to close Trout (to update it), I got an "Error saving list contents!" error.

Btw, updating caused Trout to forget about some settings that I changed previously, like the internet connection and the time skip value (how many seconds).

I'm guessing that the balloon tip notify or toaster popup don't serve you well in this case?  You prefer something audible rather than visual?
You are right. Yes.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2009, 05:57 PM »
The rewind/ff with a file being paused now works, thanks!
Strange: for the second time, when I was trying to close Trout (to update it), I got an "Error saving list contents!" error.
Btw, updating caused Trout to forget about some settings that I changed previously, like the internet connection and the time skip value (how many seconds).
Good to hear about the seek issue.  As for the losing settings issue, I wonder if it's having trouble saving the config.ini (since it seems to have an issue saving the playlist).  That message you're seeing pops up if it can't delete the list.tpl file.  Are you running anything that would have that file open?  Perhaps an anti-virus or something is interfering?  Regarding your beep request...were you thinking something like the system beep that AHK can do?

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2009, 07:13 AM »
No anti-virus installed currently.  :-[

@ the beep idea: maybe it would be most simple to just let the user pick one of the already existing wav files for this option?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2009, 07:28 PM »
Column saving is in.

v1.0.2 build 146
    + Another hidden config.ini setting: WinampAPI_Titlebar_Fix=1
      What this does is add a " - Winamp" to the titlebar text.  The reason is that some WinampAPI
      driven front-ends will actually crash if that text isn't there...even though they eventually
      strip it for display.  The mind boggles.  [Thanks, hollow87 & app103]
    + Column orders are now saved.  [Thanks, app103]
    ! Removing files from the listview should be much quicker (back to the way it used to be).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2009, 07:48 PM »
Can't believe how far trout has come.. damn this is good.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2009, 08:01 PM »
how about a 'roger beep' that makes you realize that Trout jumped to another file in the playlist? Maybe I'm the only one ever missing something like that, I don't know

great idea, i just asked for same thing from skwire when he pointed me to your request.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2009, 04:14 AM »
v1.0.2 build 146
    + Column orders are now saved.  [Thanks, app103]
That doesn't work here. Maybe related to the "Error saving list contents!" error that I get? When I'm moving around files in program directories I sometimes get a message from Vista that I need administrator rights (which I have) to do that.

And another small bug: I added ($time_r) to the seekbar, but the seekbar doesn't get updated while the file is being played.

And another small thing: when the "TE" (elapsed) time is smaller than the set "seek jump interval", Trout will not always jump back to the beginning of the file when that hotkey is used once.

@ mouser: nice  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:29 AM by brotherS »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2009, 09:48 AM »
v1.0.2 build 149
    + Added a "Remove track after playback" option to the View menu.  This will make Trout act
      in a sort of queue mode.  [Thanks, app103]
    + Added Last.fm "love" functionality to the minibars.  Currently, this will take you
      directly to the track's page on Last.fm so you can mark it as loved.  Future plans will
      be to make this button "love" a track automatically.  [Thanks, app103]
    ! The $time_r/$time_e tokens now update in realtime.  Putting those tokens in the titlebar
      string may result in flickering.  [Thanks, brotherS]

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2009, 10:43 AM »
    + Added a "Remove track after playback" option to the View menu.  This will make Trout act
Yes, thanks app, and thanks skwire for adding it! I can see this might come in handy.

! The $time_r/$time_e tokens now update in realtime.  Putting those tokens in the titlebar
      string may result in flickering.  [Thanks, brotherS]
Excellenct! The counter behaves a bit erratic in the first seconds of a file, but doesn't flicker here.  :)

And another small thing: when the "TE" (elapsed) time is smaller than the set "seek jump interval", Trout will not always jump back to the beginning of the file when that hotkey is used once.
That's annoying me a bit more today, I hope it's easy to fix! :)

Btw, would it be possible to run more than one Trout instance? Or would that totally conflict with playlist management etc.?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Try the latest build (v1.0.2.150)

Btw, would it be possible to run more than one Trout instance? Or would that totally conflict with playlist management etc.?
Right, Trout was built from the start as single-instance, single-playlist player.  Say that five times fast.  =]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 01:42 PM by skwire »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #195 on: February 23, 2009, 12:16 AM »
Yes, thanks app, and thanks skwire for adding it! I can see this might come in handy.

This is a playlist style I have only seen in lala.com's online player and I really liked it. It turns the playlist into a queue. As I acquire new files I just add them to the list and they will eventually get played without me having to fuss with it or wondering "have I heard that yet?".

But what makes this better than lala's queue is that Trout lets you load more than 50 files, so I can throw my whole collection on it to start with, and just let it go till it's empty, and then repeat (if it ever actually gets empty).

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2009, 02:52 AM »
Try the latest build (v1.0.2.150)
Works now, thanks!  :)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #197 on: February 23, 2009, 03:11 AM »
v1.0.2 build 153
    + Added a "Play track/beep between tracks" options.  This is mainly for listening to audio
      books so you can be alerted to chapter changes, etc.  You set the options under Options,
      General and toggle the functionality using the List menu entry. [Thanks, brotherS & mouser]
Thanks for adding that feature! Two improvement suggestions:
- allow the user to toggle it in the options also (was confusing to me at first)
- if possible with AHK (I know this from another program), add a tiny play putton next to where you can select a file to be played in the options

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #198 on: February 23, 2009, 03:25 AM »
I see you caught my silent update.   :D

v1.0.2 build 153
    + New option under Options, General.  You can now set how the listview behaves when dropping
      files on it (or the minibars).  Choices are:
      - Never clear the existing playlist (Default/current way)
      - Always clear the existing playlist
      - Always ask me what to do
      [Thanks, mouser]
    + Created a new "List" menu entry and moved the "Remove track after playback" option to it.
    + Added a "Play track/beep between tracks" options.  This is mainly for listening to audio
      books so you can be alerted to chapter changes, etc.  You set the options under Options,
      General and toggle the functionality using the List menu entry. [Thanks, brotherS & mouser]
    ! Fixed a seeking issue where Trout wouldn't behave properly if the elapsed time was smaller
      than the user-set seek interval.  This also cropped up if the remaining time was less than
      the seek interval.  [Thanks, brotherS]

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #199 on: February 23, 2009, 03:39 AM »
Build 154 has your play button in it.  I believe this is what you were thinking of.