topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)  (Read 687800 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Trout
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2009, 11:12 AM »
Hmm, I love the idea of having an ahk tool to play music.
However, I cannot get it to work. It just doesn't show up... I reported my problem here. Of course this is my computer only. I'm just posting here in case anyone (skwire?) knows what all the programs that don't pop up have in common. I use other ahk tools and they do pop up fine.

Thanks!

Have you tried this? I used to have similar problems and it fixed my issue.

It could be related to the total number of GDI objects your system is using. One of the symptoms of hitting the limit is context menus that get shorter, missing entries...and when attempting to open more applications, they just won't open (or if they do open, they look messed up), no error message or anything. (can't give you an error message that needs GDI objects to display it when you have hit that limit, till you go under that limit again)

On a related note, I may have tracked down the single application that is most responsible for hitting that limit on my system (embarrassed that it's one of my own...very nasty bug I need to fix!  :-[)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2009, 11:50 AM »
embarrassed that it's one of my own
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2009, 07:27 PM »
hmm  :-[
I hadnt thought this "refresh" thing through at all
I had been thinking to reload the current folder (and subfolders, yes) but it sounds a lot more complex than I had thought ...
Yes, it is, mainly because Trout doesn't really work on a directory level; it cares about full paths.  However, I could envision an option where you could add a folder or folders that Trout would know to sync the list from.  Does that make sense?
yes,
that sound's good, as I say - if possible - you're the boss here so it's your call !!
Tom

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2009, 06:32 AM »
Hmm, I love the idea of having an ahk tool to play music.
However, I cannot get it to work. It just doesn't show up... I reported my problem here. Of course this is my computer only. I'm just posting here in case anyone (skwire?) knows what all the programs that don't pop up have in common. I use other ahk tools and they do pop up fine.
Honestly, I have no idea why it won't appear.  I'm confused, though.  From your previous problem report link, it seems that you found the problem app (TrayIt)? 

I am well aware of, and use, the desktop heap fix that app103 mentioned.  Did you try it?  That being said, there should be nothing in Trout that would use massive amounts of desktop heap resources.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2009, 06:35 AM »
that sound's good, as I say - if possible - you're the boss here so it's your call !!
Let's assume we go with this method.  How would you like it synced?  Here are two possible methods:
1) Clear the playlist and rebuild it from the specified folders.
2) Clear only dead entries, re-scan tags of existing files, and add any new files found to the end.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2009, 07:57 PM »
I am well aware of, and use, the desktop heap fix that app103 mentioned.  Did you try it?  That being said, there should be nothing in Trout that would use massive amounts of desktop heap resources.

Trout doesn't have to in order to have an issue when the limit is hit.

One of my own little applications has a rather nasty little GDI leak that can cause an issue with ANY application, later on down the line. (in my case, without applying the heap fix, that would be after about 4-5 days of uptime, unless I restart the app that has the bug)

@urlwolf:

You don't happen to run my DClock2 app, do you? If so, restart it when your issue occurs and see if the problem goes away. (it's the tooltip that shows the date that has the GDI bug)

Controller

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2009, 08:56 PM »
I've there is a major GDI leak, I'd probably noticed (Windows 98 tends to run out of them pretty fast on leaks and sooner or later hangs) - so I didn't yet test with the latest version.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2009, 06:28 AM »
What?  Are you saying that Trout has a major GDI leak?  On Windows 98?

Controller

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2009, 12:33 PM »
No!

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2009, 02:37 PM »
What?  Are you saying that Trout has a major GDI leak?  On Windows 98?

NOOOO!!

It's one of my apps that has the leak...not Trout!

I've there is a major GDI leak, I'd probably noticed (Windows 98 tends to run out of them pretty fast on leaks and sooner or later hangs) - so I didn't yet test with the latest version.

My app with the leak was developed and used for a very long time on an old WinME machine, without me noticing any problems at all. (it's a very stable machine that has uptimes in excess of 30 days) So the idea that you'd notice it on Win98 is not necessarily true. If it had not been for a feature in Process Explorer that works on XP and not 9x, I might not have discovered the issue at all. It only occurs when you hover your mouse over the window to show the date tooltip. The longer you leave it there, the more it leaks. Most people would not leave their mouse hovering there long enough to see a problem. But it's cumulative. The next time you show the date, it leaks a little more. Eventually it could cause a problem, but that would be many days or even weeks later, even on a 9x machine. (luckily, closing or restarting the app gives it all back) Most people would reboot long before they ever saw an issue caused by the clock, most likely because of a GDI issue much greater in another much heavier application. This is why it took me a few years to even know there was a problem, despite running this app constantly on my 9x machine, all along. The recent discovery of the leak was purely by accident.

Drugwash

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2009, 08:58 PM »
Hello, skwire!
I only registered here because of this player. As a couple other users around, I'm using Win9x too - Win98SE, to be more precise. As such, I'd appreciate if you would allow me/us to help in fixing the few (minor, I'd say) issues that we found in testing this script.

Basically what needs attention are:
- missing tags
- seek and volume progressbars not functional (sliders might've been better for 9x)
- currently playing icon appears to be 32bit, thus displaying a black background in 9x

Other issues I noticed would be:
- Options panel out of screen at the bottom (on 1024x768 resolution)
- lack of drag'n'drop sorting in playlist (major issue for me personally)

It would be interesting to try and make the list view RichEdit-aware; since I've tested and cRichEdit can display Unicode characters correctly on my system and you already manipulate strings in Unicode mode, maybe we could get it to display the Unicode ID3 tags properly in 9x.

If you're willing to give us 9x people a chance, please contact me by PM here, on AHK board or on Miranda IM board (if you're registered there).

Oh and here's Trout Player on my 98SE system:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:02 PM by Drugwash »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2009, 12:59 AM »
I only registered here because of this player. As a couple other users around, I'm using Win9x too - Win98SE, to be more precise. As such, I'd appreciate if you would allow me/us to help in fixing the few (minor, I'd say) issues that we found in testing this script.
I honestly appreciate the interest and desire to see Trout work properly under Win9x/ME.  That being said, I do not have the time, desire, or setup (only a VM) to test under Windows 98.  I'm also not a fan of making code changes (in hopes that it works under another OS) that I cannot test myself.

Basically what needs attention are:
- missing tags
Trout's tag reading handles all strings in unicode so installing the Microsoft Layer for Unicode in your system may get them to display properly.

- seek and volume progressbars not functional (sliders might've been better for 9x)
This is most definitely an AHK/Win9x limitation in the current code.  I can, possibly, try to find a way around this.

- currently playing icon appears to be 32bit, thus displaying a black background in 9x
You can modify the resources.dll yourself with ResHacker.

Other issues I noticed would be:
- Options panel out of screen at the bottom (on 1024x768 resolution)
Hmmm...the options panel is only 440 pixels high.

- lack of drag'n'drop sorting in playlist (major issue for me personally)
Drag'n'drop sorting will be a long time coming (if ever).

It would be interesting to try and make the list view RichEdit-aware; since I've tested and cRichEdit can display Unicode characters correctly on my system and you already manipulate strings in Unicode mode, maybe we could get it to display the Unicode ID3 tags properly in 9x.
A standard listview, such that AHK has (SysListView32), doesn't have any sort of RichEdit capabilities.  I'm not much interested in retro-fitting a third-party control into Trout since one of my design goals/challenges was to keep Trout as natively AHK as possible in an attempt to show just how much can be accomplished with the language.

Whoa...that is BRIGHT.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:32 AM by skwire »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2009, 06:45 AM »
Some minor fixes and additions.

v1.0.2 build 64
    + Added "/clipboard" as a commandline parameter.
    * AudioGenie library update to v1.0.5.2.
    ! Further freedb.org parsing improvements/fixes.
    ! Fixed a nasty "remember position and auto-play" issue.  [Thanks, ChalamiuS]

Drugwash

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2009, 07:32 AM »
• I have (relatively) enough time and will to test on Win95 and Win98SE as well as XP-SP3. I also can use AHK as I've been working on my own little projects for a while. So I wasn't asking for your time but for the source code so I could change and test it live on my private machines. Any changes would be reported directly to you and no code would be leaked to third parties under any circumstances. I don't need credits or money, just a working, reliable application.
• I do have MSLU v1.1.3790.0 installed so that's not the problem.
• An IF A_OSType/A_OSVersion could handle progressbar vs slider.
• Am definitely not a fan of resource hacking as long as it only takes 10 seconds to create a multipage icon that'd fulfill the requirements for both 9x and NT-based OS versions.
• It doesn't matter how high the Options panel is, thing is it starts off at a low position on screen.
• Natively AHK can handle DllCalls, machine code and many other things and experimenting is the fun part of using AHK, in my opinion.

I was trying to avoid having to build my own player from scratch - what a waste of time reinventing the wheel! - and also to give people like me - Win9x users - a chance to benefit from your hard work. But I'm afraid that's impossible, from what you said. Too bad.  :(

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2009, 08:08 AM »
Hello, skwire!

You found a whole lot less than I did on my 9x system. I would say you were pretty lucky.

What skinning app are you using for your OS? Window Blinds? While it is bright, it sure is pretty for a 9x system. It looks better than mine, in fact I think it looks better than my XP, too. (I don't normally go for themes other than basic classic style color themes)

Drugwash

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2009, 09:01 AM »
I did find the same issues you did - more or less; just didn't want to repeat them since they were already reported by you. Also I mentioned only the ones that would bother me enough to try fixing them.

As for the skinning, it's not WindowBlinds. It's UberSkin, a native skinning system built by a young and bright russian guy nicknamed Tihiy. Can be found at the MSFN.org forums board.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2009, 03:14 PM »
I was trying to avoid having to build my own player from scratch - what a waste of time reinventing the wheel! - and also to give people like me - Win9x users - a chance to benefit from your hard work. But I'm afraid that's impossible, from what you said. Too bad.  :(

v1.0.2 build 91
    + Added code to support Win9x/ME systems.  Thanks to Drugwash and app103 for testing.
      Notes:
       1) Win9x/ME users will get the older slider controls for volume and seekbars.
       2) Tag editing has been disabled under Win9x/ME.
       3) freedb.org for CDs appears to work.
       4) Last.fm appears to work as well.
       5) Copy-to-clipboard functions do not copy in unicode.
    ! MIDI soundfont playback fix.
    * Fixed text display for 120 DPI systems.  Hopefully.  (Thanks, majkinetor)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2009, 08:26 PM »
I think you can remove that part about 9x not being supported, now.  :)

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Hi skwire

you forgot to update the about menu to the latest version it shows vers.90 not 91

nogojoe
Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

Drugwash

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2009, 03:49 AM »
v1.0.2 build 91
    + Added code to support Win9x/ME systems.
You, kind - me, happy. :) ありがとうございます! ;)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2009, 04:06 AM »
v1.0.2 build 48
    + Added 'Scroll left' and 'Scroll right' as hotkeyable actions.  [Thanks, tomos]

this doesnt seem to be working in current or last builds (I missed build #48 so dont know did it work then)
Is it Control key + mouse scroll ?

sorry,
reading too quickly - it's the arrow keys and it works !!

I havent forgotten the reload/refresh current folder thing - will get back to you on that again (I'm honestly not sure - will have to look closer & think about it)
Tom
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 04:15 AM by tomos »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2009, 08:58 AM »
I think you can remove that part about 9x not being supported, now.  :)
Well, there's still some quirks that I see in a VM that I can't seem to iron out.  Specifically, the tray icon.

you forgot to update the about menu to the latest version it shows vers.90 not 91
Doh, that's me screwing up the changelog and post.  The about box version/build text is actually generated from reading the trout.exe, so, it's the correct one.

v1.0.2 build 91
    + Added code to support Win9x/ME systems.
You, kind - me, happy. :) ありがとうございます! ;)

どう致しまして。

Is it Control key + mouse scroll ?[/s]
sorry,
reading too quickly - it's the arrow keys and it works !!

Tomos, my friend, I made it hotkeyable.  =]  If you want it to work like you originally mentioned, simply add some local hotkey like this:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2009, 09:06 AM »
Tomos, my friend, I made it hotkeyable.

oh wow, even better :D (definitely I was reading far too fast!)
Tom

apfel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2009, 09:40 AM »
What happens if I select multiple tracks and click on edit tags->change/add date->save tag?
Will be the taracks overwritten with the same tag values for artist/album/date or only the changed date value?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:13 AM by apfel »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2009, 12:30 PM »
What happens if I select multiple tracks and click on edit tags->change/add date->save tag?
Will be the taracks overwritten with the same tag values for artist/album/date or only the changed date value?
There is no multiple track editing in Trout; only the focused track gets edited.  The focused track is the one with the dotted rectangle around it.  You can have multiple "selected" tracks but only one row is ever the "focused" row.  Does that clear it up?