topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)  (Read 687973 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Trout
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2009, 09:23 PM »
Discovered a tag related bug in last.fm reporting.

It's sending the missing tag text:

SNAG-00055.png

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2009, 09:54 PM »
Dangit, I tested for this but apparently not well enough.  I'll look into it and fix it. 

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2009, 04:39 AM »
Mostly an interim, bug fix build:

v1.0.2 build 4
    + Added 'Minimize on startup' to the Options dialog.  [Thanks, app103]
    * Fixed the "Rescan tags" function in the edit menu.  Sheesh.  =]
    * Fixed Last.fm sending when artist/title tags are missing.  [Thanks, app103]

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2009, 03:19 PM »
v1.0.2 build 6
    * Fixed volume control issues introduced when I did the listview response
      changes.

That'll teach me to muck around with thread priorities and not double-check everything afterward.  If anybody downloaded build 4 and thought the volume controls seemed jacked up, this fix is for you.  Soz.   :(

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2009, 01:14 AM »
The minimize on startup is minimizing to the taskbar even if I also have "minimize to tray" selected in the options.

apfel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Suggestions:
- New Option, Resume last played track after start
- remember last played track in playlist, for easy continue.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2009, 09:23 AM »
The minimize on startup is minimizing to the taskbar even if I also have "minimize to tray" selected in the options.
Hmmm...I did test for this and it works for me.  In the next build, I'll add a small tweak to see if it helps.

Suggestions:
- New Option, Resume last played track after start
- remember last played track in playlist, for easy continue.
This was something that's been on the ToDo for a while now.  I ought to get it in there.  Also...I think I figured out your inverted volume control issue.  I'm pretty positive it has to do with certain Visual Styles since I saw this behaviour on my wife's comupter.  I never use Visual Styles but she does and certain styles seem to make it happen and others don't.  Can you confirm this?  I'll see if adding an option to invert the control will fix this issue.

apfel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2009, 06:37 PM »
Yes, I am using visual styles and I can confirm on classic style the problem doesn't appear.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2009, 10:11 AM »
v1.0.2 build 38
    + Added a Last.fm entry to the edit/context menu.  You can go directly
      to the artist/album/title on Last.fm's website.  [Thanks, app103]
    + Added the Edit menu to the minibar's menu.
    ! Further fixes to the Last.fm submit checks.  [Thanks, app103]
    * Changed up the 'Minimize to tray on startup' routine to be more
      reliable.  [Thanks, app103]

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2009, 02:46 PM »
last.fm links seem to be working good.  :Thmbsup:

A few more feature requests:

• Playlist - option to remove dead file entries (for files that no longer exist)
  • Playlist - option to remove duplicate entries - Keep the first entry, remove all other matches (use path to determine this and not tags)
  • Tag editor - clear the <missing> and just leave the box empty so I don't have to clear it to type in the info

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2009, 01:32 PM »
1) I'm wondering is there an easy way to refresh the current folder -
currently the only way I see is to reload it - (F5 would be a nice option to have)
2) another very minor thing is:
with playmode set to random could I dictate the first file to play?
3) could there be a column with just file name ?
Build 84 should cover all three of these points.  Please let me know.

Skwire, I missed the last few updates - only got to check this stuff out today

1) I tried F5 - no refresh happens (not an option in menu either?)

2) works !

3) column with filename didnt show at first (even though ticked on programme start) but showed then when I unticked & reticked it - there on second start as well so it's working.

and, I take the liberty of making a couple new requests :)

4) that it would remember position of columns on restart

5) another programme I use does a lovely "sideways" (over & back) scroll if I press Control key and scroll mouse wheel - do you think would that be possible here too ?
Tom

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2009, 11:54 PM »
  • Playlist - option to remove dead file entries (for files that no longer exist)
  • Playlist - option to remove duplicate entries - Keep the first entry, remove all other matches (use path to determine this and not tags)
  • Tag editor - clear the <missing> and just leave the box empty so I don't have to clear it to type in the info

v1.0.2 build 45
    + Added 'Remove duplicates' and 'Remove dead entries' to the Edit menu.  [Thanks, app103]
    * Tag edit GUI doesn't display the missing tag string in the edit fields.  [Thanks, app103]
    * Made the "Update tags" button default now so you can simply press 'Enter' when
      you're done editing tags.
    * All Last.fm data should now be properly handled in utf-8 format.
    * Edit, Copy path/URL should now copy in unicode.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2009, 12:06 AM »
Hmmmm...I think I may have misunderstood your initial request.  I added an option to re-scan tags (thinking that was what you wanted).  I'm guessing now that you want an option where you can set a folder or folders to re-scan for new files, right?

4) that it would remember position of columns on restart
This is on the ToDo...however, in AHK, it's quite a bit harder than it seems.

5) another programme I use does a lovely "sideways" (over & back) scroll if I press Control key and scroll mouse wheel - do you think would that be possible here too ?
Neat idea.  I'll see if I can figure out a way to add this.  Thanks.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2009, 03:57 AM »
Hmmmm...I think I may have misunderstood your initial request.  I added an option to re-scan tags (thinking that was what you wanted).  I'm guessing now that you want an option where you can set a folder or folders to re-scan for new files, right?
yes,
I meant an option to rescan/refresh the folder, thanks
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2009, 04:18 AM »
is it possible that if i exit Trout while playing mp3, the next time i start Trout it would continue from that mp3? very handy when listening to audio book.. btw Skwire, fantastic job! :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2009, 06:00 PM »
is it possible that if i exit Trout while playing mp3, the next time i start Trout it would continue from that mp3? very handy when listening to audio book.. btw Skwire, fantastic job! :Thmbsup:
Thanks for the kind compliment.  Your feature request has actually been sitting on the ToDo for a while now.  It'll be in the next build.  =]

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2009, 06:10 PM »
yes,
I thought that might be the case.  I'm trying to wrap my head around how to implement such a function, though.  I mean...you can have files from multiple folders in the list so how would I know which folder you want to rescan?  All of them?  Just the selected row's folder?  Is there another player out there that does this in the manner that you like?  I know the latest foobar will automatically watch folders you specify and add/synch the files to its database.  However, it doesn't automatically add them to the playlist. 

Mabye I'm making this more complicated than it seems, but would you mind providing a bit more detail as to how you would like this to work?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2009, 06:51 PM »
thanks, looking forward to the next build. :)

Controller

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2009, 12:19 AM »
yes,
-tomos link=topic=16157.msg148649
Maybe this would be easy possible if the playlist was directory based, like in Apollo. Another player which uses a directory based playlist is QuickPlayer, but so this one might be able to support such feature, it only supports a list of folder which is updated (removed and re-added) on certain events (F5, changes, startup). It doesn't support tags etc in playlist (so it doesn't have to synchronize), and it does not support 'flat' playlists, nor rearrangements of songs in playlist.

For 'flat' playlists, if you could determinate which is the 'root' of a folder, e.g.:
E:\Music\Generic\Camouflage
could be either
E:\Music\Generic,
E:\Music or
E:
(That's why a list of folders to be synchronized/updated/re-read is handy, or you ask the user etc)
You could either (if you like the challange)
a)* remove all songs which are withing and readd them
(either playlist end, or even the position where the selected song itself was/is/would be)
 b) remove all preceding and following songs until you encounter a song that is not within the directory (here you should definitely re-add there)

till now, guess a) makes thinks bit easier, because the playlist can only go shorter, so you could add new songs to the same array as your regular playlist, then process and sync all songs.

c) determinate the 'root' which all songs have in common (for each drive?)... propably best for users using (adding) one folder where all music is stored

Both ways you would have to either synchronize tags (best create the new list and sync when removing afterwards?), or read them again (bad - at all I dislike tags for playlists because I already have name them on disk, and don't want to have to fix all those messed up / add new tags too just to have each player work hard on all my music files each time and not showing trash)

Still leaves the problem that if you have a 'perfect arranged' playlist synchronizing will probably mess this totally up (guess nobody would sync such a list anyway), so you could

d) process all affected songs, remove missing songs only, and add those not yet present in the playlist to the end of the playlist. That way all still existing files stay in position (and no synchronizing of tags is needed, you just would have to scan tags for the new entries)

If you implent, don't forget to add detection of removable devices and add a menu to easliy 'sync' those too.

Don't haste and choose wisely!

Controller

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2009, 12:59 AM »
Another interesting, but maybe strange concept (for some users), and not so recommend for arranged playlists:
e) Like d), but instead of adding to the end of playlist, compare with all affected sync items that have not been removed (or maybe all items(?)) and choose best match for adding (adding before/after according to alphabethic sorting). However, best match detecting would be some tricky...

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2009, 06:37 AM »
v1.0.2 build 48
    + Added 'Scroll left' and 'Scroll right' as hotkeyable actions.  [Thanks, tomos]
    + Added 'Clear playlist', 'Remove duplicates', & 'Remove dead entries' as hotkeyable
      items.
    + New option: 'Remember last playback position & auto-play on start'.  [Thanks, Rhys]
    * Moved the 'Fonts & Colors' options to its own tab.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2009, 06:53 AM »
Maybe this would be easy possible if the playlist was directory based, like in Apollo. Another player which uses a directory based playlist is QuickPlayer,
From what I can tell, you're the author of QuickPlayer, eh?

d) process all affected songs, remove missing songs only, and add those not yet present in the playlist to the end of the playlist. That way all still existing files stay in position (and no synchronizing of tags is needed, you just would have to scan tags for the new entries)
This is the closest to the method I had in mind.

If you implent, don't forget to add detection of removable devices and add a menu to easliy 'sync' those too.
Most likely will not happen since I think we're starting to get a bit out of scope for Trout.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2009, 07:20 AM »
hmm  :-[
I hadnt thought this "refresh" thing through at all
I had been thinking to reload the current folder (and subfolders, yes) but it sounds a lot more complex than I had thought ...
Tom

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2009, 07:26 AM »
hmm  :-[
I hadnt thought this "refresh" thing through at all
I had been thinking to reload the current folder (and subfolders, yes) but it sounds a lot more complex than I had thought ...
Yes, it is, mainly because Trout doesn't really work on a directory level; it cares about full paths.  However, I could envision an option where you could add a folder or folders that Trout would know to sync the list from.  Does that make sense?

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2009, 10:28 AM »
Hmm, I love the idea of having an ahk tool to play music.
However, I cannot get it to work. It just doesn't show up... I reported my problem here. Of course this is my computer only. I'm just posting here in case anyone (skwire?) knows what all the programs that don't pop up have in common. I use other ahk tools and they do pop up fine.

Thanks!