ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Another 'Lifetime' license bites the dust

<< < (14/24) > >>

f0dder:
Note that Nikos (xplorer2) has talked about perhaps stopping lifetime license for x^2, and move to major-version stuff instead. Can't say I blame him, the current license is cheap and no revenue = less incentive to keep developing.

mwb1100:
My understanding for xplorer2 is that you get updates for 1 year after purchase (I'm not sure if this applies to only major upgrades or all), but that this policy has not been enforced yet. He's mentioned in the forum that he plans to start enforcing in the near future, but you can buy (I think for about $20) 'Upgrade Assurance' which gets you lifetime upgrades.

40hz:
The reason I was so angry was that FruityLoops SOLD lifetime updates - they weren't included in the package price you had to buy a 'life time updates' product from them. THEN they moved the goal posts.
-Carol Haynes (December 12, 2008, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Carol: I am so with you on that one.

And it gets even better with their new "lifetime license."

How's this for a disclaimer:

http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/lifetimefreeupdates.html

Free FL Studio updates for life!

This might be hard to believe but buying (the online version of) FL Studio not only gets you the latest version of FL Studio but all new updates released.

This means you'll receive FL Studio 7.5, 8.0, 9.0, ... absolutely free. We believe you should have the functionality you paid for bugfixed for as long as we develop it.

Users of the boxed version ...   

Lifetime free updates are only included in the online versions of FL Studio and are available to the users of the boxed version for $29 by clicking here.

You can find out what kind of new features our users have received for free during the last 5 years in our history page.

Lifetime Free Updates

Does this mean you will get everything we develop for free from now on ?

Not really: About 90% of the new stuff we do is built in to FL Studio as basic gear (for free) to improve the application and make it more competitive with other software on the market.

When we develop something new, like a synth or other module, we investigate whether we will build it  into the main app and include it in the next free update, or offer it as an optional module.

Don't worry: There will be hundreds of bugfixes, new features, synths, FX, ... provided free with each update released.
--- End quote ---

I especially appreciate how the people who purchase the boxed set have to pay extra for the same "free" updates. Talk about innovative thinking. That one has got to be a first!

zridling:
I'm wondering if a good lawyer could not make money on these roaming definitions of the word lifetime. If a dev or company is unwilling to specify exactly what the term means for the consumer, then I think dropped 'lifetime licensed users' users have a class action suit.

In other words, either honor it or don't offer it. I'll still buy your software; I just won't be pissed off later.

J-Mac:
I'm wondering if a good lawyer could not make money on these roaming definitions of the word lifetime. If a dev or company is unwilling to specify exactly what the term means for the consumer, then I think dropped 'lifetime licensed users' users have a class action suit.

In other words, either honor it or don't offer it. I'll still buy your software; I just won't be pissed off later.
-zridling (December 27, 2008, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Probably depends greatly on the exact wording of the license, along with the country of incorporation, or at least where the company is located.

I doubt it is worth it, though.   :(

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version