ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Another 'Lifetime' license bites the dust

<< < (3/24) > >>

Josh:
SlySoft also have a good marketting ploy here - tell all your friends, post around the web .... quick buy your stuff now with lifetime updates --- while you can!

Actually the one that pissed me off is FruityLoops. They SOLD lifetime updates and then changed the product name from FruityLoops to FruityLoops Professional and said it was anew product.

Very strange that when you installed it looked identical to the previous version.

Guess what --- they now SELL life time updates for that product too!
-Carol Haynes (December 12, 2008, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Someone get Carol some beer to calm down with. We don't want to see an explosion here. Between Microsoft, Linux, FruityLoops and gri, I don't think we have much longer before an explosion occur's with Carol.

Dormouse:
There is SUPERAntiSpyware Lifetime Subscription. I've got a licensed copy. Check it. It can't detect any spyware, though nor can it prevent the system being infected. Thrown it out and installed Spyware Doctor. Peace, now.-BCHOWDHURY (December 12, 2008, 05:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
I use Kaspersky atm. 3 year license; cheap deal; very effective; uninstalled Spyware Doctor some time ago. I reconsider the prog I use everytime I get to the end of my license. There are some progs I have a lifetime license for that I don't currently use (so the lifetime sale was good marketing); others that produce regular upgrades where I also don't use - and don't buy upgrades.

What developers should be considering is what sort of product and market they have and what type of license is likely to be most effective for them.

In practice, I think many of them just think "I'm not getting as much money as I think I should be getting, so I'll change the license to bring more money in". This strategy is quite capable of reducing their income rather than increasing it.

We are now in a recession. Most developers will just have to accept that incomes are likely to reduce until things pick up again.

TreeDBnotes did a similar thing to FruityLoops.

Dormouse:
I agree completely with Carol that this announcement of an imminent loss of the lifetime license is an attempt at a good marketing ploy. Some realisation that the annual license may not be as remunerative as they would like, but they want to get as much cash now as they can without getting a reputation for sales and discounts.

tranglos:
Total Commander still has a lifetime license, albeit with something along the lines of "in the future we might change this policy" in there. When asked about it (a year or two ago), mr. Ghisler (TC developer) said that there were no plans to change since they're already making enough money as it is.
-TucknDar (December 12, 2008, 05:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not only that, but I recall someone on the TC forum who wanted to buy additional TC licenses for their other computers, and was told by Mr Ghisler to just use the licenses they already had, and donate to charity instead. (This should not be construed as official Total Commander license policy, I'm only reporting my memory of a post to that effect!) I hope Mr Ghisler is rolling in money as he totally deserves or has otherwise achieved lifetime nirvana. Not only a coding master, but a wonderful person, too.

Darwin:
I don't have a problem with this at all. As Josh notes, it makes sense from a business perspective. Slysoft seem to be doing the right thing as well - they've announced the change in policy well in advance, are giving cutomers the opportunity to buy lifetime licenses until a specified date, and have pledged to honour those and previously purchased lifetime licenses in the future. This stands in stark contrast to how Collectorz handled a similar decision recently...

Lifetime licenses that I own (I assume that they are still valid  :o):

WinRar
Your Uninstaller (special purchase)
XYplorer (lifetime license no longer available)
UEdit-32 (special purchase)
UltraCompare Pro (special purchase)
BOOK Collector (lifetime license no longer available)
mp3 Collector (lifetime license no longer available)
Music Collector (lifetime license no longer available)
Photo Collector (lifetime license no longer available)
exifPro
PhotoFiltre
MusicMatch Jukebox (dead)
DVDIdle Pro & DVDFab
AKVIS Filters
Sandboxie
GhostSecurity Suite
WinPatrol
Memokit
Outlook Shutdown Add-in
Check&Get
Ovis pdf-doc pro
Ovis Office
PUP for Excel
Donationcoder  :)
Acoustica Spin It Again
Acoustica MP3Converter
Acoustica Audio Converter
Active Excel Compare
Active File Compare
Total Commander
WinImage
Frigate File Manager
Iconico Screen Measurement Pack
FMView
FMLFNS
Textanz
FileQuestXP Gold (seems to have been abandoned  :()
Tera Copy
IndieVolume
BootLogXP
Text Workbench
BareGrep Pro
BareTail Pro
RQ Search and Replace
Liquid Story Binder XE
Direct Folders
xplorer2 (special purchase)
SearchGT
Archivarius
X1
Total Recorder
EDrawMax
StarDownloader Pro (seems to have been abandoned, though they did just renew their domain - it was dormant for a couple of weeks with one of those "this domain for sale" pages as a placeholder)
MagicISO
Koingo Utilities Suite

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version