topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Another 'Lifetime' license bites the dust  (Read 91139 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Another 'Lifetime' license bites the dust
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2008, 06:28 AM »
[J-Mac]: I can see why someone may decide to stop developing! But even if they don’t continue, if I use the program for a decent length of time I feel I should donate if I can.

I may be wrong, but I think Bulk Rename Utility went from freeware (with a donation option) to adware. To me, that's the worst move you can make. Seeing a rotating ad such as the one in FoxIt is like a needle in my eye.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2008, 09:58 PM »
[J-Mac]: I can see why someone may decide to stop developing! But even if they don’t continue, if I use the program for a decent length of time I feel I should donate if I can.

I may be wrong, but I think Bulk Rename Utility went from freeware (with a donation option) to adware. To me, that's the worst move you can make. Seeing a rotating ad such as the one in FoxIt is like a needle in my eye.

I just went and looked and I didn't see any purchase option for Bulk Rename Utility.

Jim

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2008, 02:36 AM »
BRU is still freeware, with an little advertisement for "the software company which has taken over the running of the project"

http://www.bulkrenam...um/viewforum.php?f=5

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2008, 07:56 AM »
If you read the thread on the BRU forum carefully, the ads are to be removed with the next release. How much faith one should put in this promise, I don't know... I still have the previous - ad free - version installed and it works fine.

FWIW, the chief objection to the ad seems to be that it takes up valuable screen real estate. BRU is infamous for its GUI, which is considered cluttered, adding an ad that apparently takes up 30% of the GUI would be significant indeed!

Anyway, it seems that they are "on it". We'll have to wait and see...

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2008, 03:57 PM »
Ads? Heh - I'll keep the last ad-free version installed also. I still have the setup if...

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Ads? Heh - I'll keep the last ad-free version installed also. I still have the setup if...

Jim

Yes - I do as well, if anybody is looking for it.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2008, 05:08 PM »
BRU is infamous for its GUI, which is considered cluttered...

On the contrary, Darwin, I love the fact that every option is in front of me, instead having to tab through endless menus, tabs, and dropdown lists. Same goes for Flexible Renamer, which recently got a version upgrade. I just set how I want for repetitive job, save it as a profile, then BAM! I'm done.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2008, 06:52 PM »

On the contrary, Darwin, I love the fact that every option is in front of me, instead having to tab through endless menus, tabs, and dropdown lists. Same goes for Flexible Renamer, which recently got a version upgrade. I just set how I want for repetitive job, save it as a profile, then BAM! I'm done.

True, Zaine, but still it IS cluttered! At first glance it almost always appears overwhelming to someone viewing it for the first time. I found that it takes a few uses before you get comfortable with it.

Well, sort of comfortable, anyway!   :)

Thanks!

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2008, 11:31 PM »

Ah! You misunderstand, Zaine-san! I LOVE BRU's GUI  :-* But its GUI does have its detractors (I'm not one of them, though).

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2008, 12:17 AM »
Not that this topic hasn't taken an already off-course tangent, but, MRU's interface reminds me of IE Gone Bad

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2008, 11:51 AM »
Thanks for the correction, Darwin, and Josh, exactly what is wrong with the screenshot you linked to?!  :P

I was going to try to do a review of renamers once, but after studying about 20 of them, each had their own UI and there was almost no way to compare them. Like more and more software, it came down to, "use what you like."

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2008, 11:39 PM »
FWIW, WinPatrol's license is still life time

llc_silly

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • LLC
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2008, 03:57 PM »
The other heros in the 'Lifetime' license club:

xplorer² file manager

WhereIsIt catalog manager

llc_silly

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • LLC
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2008, 04:17 PM »
I like the way EmEditor does this. It promised only minor updates (until the next major version bump), but in fact has never charged me anything for major updates (from v5.x to now v8.01).

I think EmEditor is available with a lifetime license now.  :-*
http://www.emeditor....om/modules/buy-now0/

Purchase Benefits

a Free minor upgrades for the same product. Also, usually, free major upgrades for the same product.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2008, 11:24 AM »
llc_silly, thanks!!

-xplorer² file manager
- Where Is It? cataloging software

Although I'm not ready to put EmEditor on the list just yet, since they're not explicitly offering a lifetime license: "Free minor upgrades for the same product. Also, usually, free major upgrades for the same product."

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2008, 11:29 AM »
Note that Nikos (xplorer2) has talked about perhaps stopping lifetime license for x^2, and move to major-version stuff instead. Can't say I blame him, the current license is cheap and no revenue = less incentive to keep developing.
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 11:34 AM by f0dder »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2008, 11:49 AM »
My understanding for xplorer2 is that you get updates for 1 year after purchase (I'm not sure if this applies to only major upgrades or all), but that this policy has not been enforced yet. He's mentioned in the forum that he plans to start enforcing in the near future, but you can buy (I think for about $20) 'Upgrade Assurance' which gets you lifetime upgrades.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2008, 01:48 PM »
The reason I was so angry was that FruityLoops SOLD lifetime updates - they weren't included in the package price you had to buy a 'life time updates' product from them. THEN they moved the goal posts.

Carol: I am so with you on that one.

And it gets even better with their new "lifetime license."

How's this for a disclaimer:

http://flstudio.imag...timefreeupdates.html

Free FL Studio updates for life!

This might be hard to believe but buying (the online version of) FL Studio not only gets you the latest version of FL Studio but all new updates released.

This means you'll receive FL Studio 7.5, 8.0, 9.0, ... absolutely free. We believe you should have the functionality you paid for bugfixed for as long as we develop it.

Users of the boxed version ...   

Lifetime free updates are only included in the online versions of FL Studio and are available to the users of the boxed version for $29 by clicking here.

You can find out what kind of new features our users have received for free during the last 5 years in our history page.

Lifetime Free Updates

Does this mean you will get everything we develop for free from now on ?

Not really: About 90% of the new stuff we do is built in to FL Studio as basic gear (for free) to improve the application and make it more competitive with other software on the market.

When we develop something new, like a synth or other module, we investigate whether we will build it  into the main app and include it in the next free update, or offer it as an optional module.

Don't worry: There will be hundreds of bugfixes, new features, synths, FX, ... provided free with each update released.

I especially appreciate how the people who purchase the boxed set have to pay extra for the same "free" updates. Talk about innovative thinking. That one has got to be a first!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2008, 09:56 AM »
I'm wondering if a good lawyer could not make money on these roaming definitions of the word lifetime. If a dev or company is unwilling to specify exactly what the term means for the consumer, then I think dropped 'lifetime licensed users' users have a class action suit.

In other words, either honor it or don't offer it. I'll still buy your software; I just won't be pissed off later.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2008, 11:14 AM »
I'm wondering if a good lawyer could not make money on these roaming definitions of the word lifetime. If a dev or company is unwilling to specify exactly what the term means for the consumer, then I think dropped 'lifetime licensed users' users have a class action suit.

In other words, either honor it or don't offer it. I'll still buy your software; I just won't be pissed off later.

Probably depends greatly on the exact wording of the license, along with the country of incorporation, or at least where the company is located.

I doubt it is worth it, though.   :(

Jim

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2008, 02:31 PM »
Probably depends greatly on the exact wording of the license

I wrote an article about guarantees a few years back. In it, I offered the following as the perfect wording for an Unconditional Money-Back Guarantee:

We offer all our customers an Unconditional Money-Back Guarantee.

If for, any reason, you are not happy with a product or service you purchased from us:

UNDER NO CONDITIONS will you be given your money back. WE GUARANTEE IT.

Doesn't get more unconditional than that. ;D

I ran it past an attorney of my acquaintance. His comment: "I like it!"

8)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 02:34 PM by 40hz »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2008, 02:46 PM »
Probably depends greatly on the exact wording of the license

I wrote an article about guarantees a few years back. In it, I offered the following as the perfect wording for an Unconditional Money-Back Guarantee:

We offer all our customers an Unconditional Money-Back Guarantee.

If for, any reason, you are not happy with a product or service you purchased from us:

UNDER NO CONDITIONS will you be given your money back. WE GUARANTEE IT.

Doesn't get more unconditional than that. ;D

I ran it past an attorney of my acquaintance. His comment: "I like it!"

8)

I like it!   ;D

Jim

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2008, 07:51 AM »

One could, if and only if:

1. the company/developer to sue is making a lot of money or has a lot of assets to seize, and

2. there's a sizable class (for class action), weighed against the claimed damage per person.

So, if it's Microsoft or Apple pulling this trick, you bet lots of lawyers -- good and bad -- will jump right in.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2008, 06:18 PM »
I hate lawyers, the RIAA, the MPA, the DMCA, all that junk. The goal of litigation would be fraud prevention, not a [money] damage award. More than anything, just stop offering anything they call a 'lifetime' license. Better, why not simple sell a multi-year license, such as 5-7- or a 10 year version license to users if you're wanting to lure them to register the software over the long term. That way, neither the user nor the dev is on the hook.

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2008, 03:29 PM »
I'm with you on the issue, Zaine (except I don't hate lawyers). I was merely pointing out that if a lawyer would sue, s/he would have to do it for a cause, not for money.