ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2009

NANY 2009 Release: HexCards

<< < (3/4) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
The idea is that there are an odd number of "slots" to play your card, so one player is automatically disadvantaged. The attempt at balancing out this disadvantage is to count the unplayed card, but then that gives an advantage to whoever gets the freebie. So the attempt at balancing out that disadvantage is to let the other player get first choice on where to play their card. But to be honest, I'm not sure if that truly balances the game out or if it does indeed make things fairly even.
-Deozaan (December 19, 2008, 05:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I couldn't quite figure out if it was an advantage or a disadvantage to go first or second. It's very similar to naughts and crosses in that sense, and is probably more based on what tiles you get and how you play them then whether you go first or second.

But I think that all things being equal that there is an inherent advantage to going second: you have one tile that you keep and you have the first option of taking an opposing tile.

But I think that's what makes this so addictive (just like naughts and crosses) you can keep playing over and over.  :D

Deozaan:
Anyone with a Macintosh want to try it out?

ewemoa:
My attempt resulted in a window w/ an image but not much else.

NANY 2009 Release: HexCards

I've also attached a slightly doctored console.log (renamed to have .txt extension for upload purposes) that I found in the app's directory.  I hope there isn't anything compromising in that file :)

FWIW, the box I have access to claims to have MacOS X 10.4.11 installed on it.

Deozaan:
My attempt resulted in a window w/ an image but not much else.

I've also attached a slightly doctored console.log (renamed to have .txt extension for upload purposes) that I found in the app's directory.  I hope there isn't anything compromising in that file :)

FWIW, the box I have access to claims to have MacOS X 10.4.11 installed on it.
-ewemoa (December 22, 2008, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the feedback. Every once in a while when I build the project for Windows XP something goes awry and I have similar problems. I've tried building it again and uploaded a new Mac zip file. Will you please try it again?

By the way, attaching console.log was the right thing to do! :Thmbsup:

Thanks!

EDIT: Although I don't think this was a problem in your case, I've found and listed the system requirements in the main post.

ewemoa:
I tried again and I did not perceive any difference in behavior.

I will attempt to attach another doctored console.log.

FWIW, I did compare the file sizes of the zip file I downloaded last time to the most recent one I downloaded and the sizes look different at least.  The console.log output is also very slightly different (other than the path info).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version