ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2009

NANY 2009 Release: HexCards

<< < (2/4) > >>

justice:
Great video btw and idea! Just wondering why is there one card left? Is this for a game mechanic reason? I thought it would be great to turn the game around  with the last card of the game. muhahah

Perry Mowbray:
justice, I just assumed that the player going second gets a slight advantage (they know they'll have one tile left at the end).

Is that right? Is that why it's a draw: same number of tiles of each colour, both on the board and off?

It's a bit like Naughts and Crosses in that sense.

Deozaan:
Great video btw and idea! Just wondering why is there one card left? Is this for a game mechanic reason? I thought it would be great to turn the game around  with the last card of the game. muhahah
-justice (December 18, 2008, 06:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

justice, I just assumed that the player going second gets a slight advantage (they know they'll have one tile left at the end).

Is that right? Is that why it's a draw: same number of tiles of each colour, both on the board and off?
-Perry Mowbray (December 18, 2008, 06:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

The idea is that there are an odd number of "slots" to play your card, so one player is automatically disadvantaged. The attempt at balancing out this disadvantage is to count the unplayed card, but then that gives an advantage to whoever gets the freebie. So the attempt at balancing out that disadvantage is to let the other player get first choice on where to play their card. But to be honest, I'm not sure if that truly balances the game out or if it does indeed make things fairly even.

And yes, that's why the screenshot I posted is a draw. It counts to totals of all cards, whether they've been played or not.

allen:
I've never tried building the project for Mac computers so I don't even know if it works, so I need Mac users to test it and let me know if it works.
-Deozaan (December 14, 2008, 06:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

You could actually test it on a mac via crossbrowsertesting.com.

Deozaan:
You could actually test it on a mac via crossbrowsertesting.com.
-allen (December 19, 2008, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

How? It's not a web app that you run from a browser.

CrossBrowserTesting.com allows website designers to test the cross browser compatibility of their website across different browsers and operating systems.-http://crossbrowsertesting.com/
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version