topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Coding Snacks Challenge - Design a Coding Snack Game  (Read 13974 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Coding Snacks Challenge - Design a Coding Snack Game
« on: May 05, 2005, 10:30 AM »
i'd love to see someone come up with a game that can be programmed in a day.
Especially one which made use of external data files that could be written by users. A good example of this would be a trivia game, or hangman, where the core game engine is simple, and other users can make data files containing trivia questions or hangman words+phrases.

I'd love to have some suggestions for some new creative ideas for a fun game that had a very simple engine but could be greatly expanded by user-written data files.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 08:33 PM by mouser »

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
Re: Coding Snacks Challenge - Design a Coding Snack Game
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 02:07 PM »
expanding on that idea, someone could make a website version of hangman, and then users could upload text files with their own personal words/phrases, and then the site would add it to the database,and then when a user goes to the site, they would get a word that a user came up with.
[Insert really cool signature here]

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 03:07 PM »
You might as well just call it Dirty Word Hangman, as I am sure that is what it would become 1.47836483 seconds after you posted it to the website.  :P

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 05:23 PM »
expanding on that idea, someone could make a website version of hangman, and then users could upload text files with their own personal words/phrases, and then the site would add it to the database,and then when a user goes to the site, they would get a word that a user came up with.

My brother and I made a hangman game 8 about years ago in Borland Delphi 2 and it became my job to make the dictionary. I got out the dictionary and started in the As. After a bit, my brother decided to download a wordlist and use that. But it was all in a text file that could be edited by users. Shortly after that he made a web hangman game, but the word list was not editable. He also did a kind of battleship clone. The cool thing was that it was hosted on our home linux box (that served as a kind of network router for our internet connection) so anyone in my family could play and nobody else.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 12:53 PM »
You might as well just call it Dirty Word Hangman, as I am sure that is what it would become 1.47836483 seconds after you posted it to the website.  :P
which is why you have it set up to not use words that  are dirty.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Toptiger5

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 10:25 AM »
I have some ideas:... not sure if they will count as snacks though;

Virtual pet: No description necessary.
Hangman: obviously
Tic-tac-toe: Would be very easy to code, we might need to include more games in that one  ;D
 my brains empty. If you looking for my good idea that is not a game: look at my post "IDEA: Mood diary/graph