ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

EditPad Pro discounted at Bits du Jour on December 18

(1/4) > >>

TucknDar:
Like the topic title says, the EditPad Pro editor is available at a discount (61%: you pay just below $20) on December 18.

EditPad Pro
A Powerful, Flexible, and Convenient Text Editor (And Word Processor)
--- End quote ---

I've only just downloaded the free trial, but a simple search here at DC reveals several positive reviews and remarks about this editor. So question is: Should I? :-[

tranglos:
Should I? :-[
-TucknDar (December 11, 2008, 02:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do give it a try. It has a few very nice aspects, and then some that take getting a little used to. Very simple but also annoying example: pressing ctrl+delete on a word deletes the word (like in most Windows editors) but - unlike most editors - does not delete the space following the word. It trips me every time.

EditPad Pro has what's probably the most powerful search facility among the popular editors, including filtering of the matching lines, and  its regex highlighting is a cherry on top... As long as you get used to the non-modal task pane at the bottom. I feel it slows me down.

Very nice and well-implemented syntax highlighting and code folding. By comparison, EmEditor has more powerful definition for highlighting. For example, EmEditor is the only editor I know where I can highlight only the angle brackets in html / xml tags. On the other hand, EmEditor's code folding is rather weak.

Alas, no scripting. Macros - yes, but stored in lengthy INI files, totally impractical for manual tweaking. This is where EmEditor really wins over EditPad Pro.

My support story: For the requirements of one of my clients, an earlier version of EditPad Pro didn't handle UTF8 files cleanly enough. It had an option to always add the byte order mark or never to add it, which meant that depending on this setting it would either drop the BOM from files that had it, or would add the BOM to files that did not. For this particular client such a change breaks their build. I asked the author of EditPad Pro to fix it, they did and sent me a nice email about it. So now, as far as I am concerned, EditPad Pro handles UTF8 and -16 as cleanly as EmEditor.

EmEditor seems a little faster overall when loading and editing large files (double-digit MB sizes), but in my experience EmEditor has been getting worse in this respect since version 7, even though the author claims otherwise. I know that editing some large xml files with long lines has at times been s...l...o...w for me in EmEditor, while EditPad Pro exhibits no hiccups there.

I use both EditPad Pro and EmEditor, depending on my mood and what I'm doing. My advice: if you need (or would like to play with) virtually unlimited scripting, or if you enjoy having mind-bogglingly extensive control over the look and behavior of the editor depending on file type, go for EmEditor. If scripting isn't a concern, then EditPad Pro is also a very polished and convenient, with some extreme serching power and good configurability.

TucknDar:
Wow, great post! Thanks, tranglos!

AbteriX:
just an reminder
50% discount today for the next 6 hours.

Darwin:
I have a licence for EditPad Pro and highly recommend it. It has many nice features, as tranglos outlines above. I can't put my finger on what it is about it, but I like working in it infinitely better than UltraEdit (for which I have a lifetime licence  :o If pressed, I guess it is a combo of the layout, feature set, and the icons are more up to date looking...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version