ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Linux holds kids back - that's what the teacher says! Windows fundamentalism?

(1/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Interesting little spat:

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/linux-stop-holding-our-kids-back.html

Be sure to check out the 'twitter' updates on the story at http://twitter.com/helios17

It has to make you laugh (or else you'd cry).

Edvard:
 :o

SKesselman:
Yes, this teacher's response does smack of Windows fundamentalism...but I can't help but agree with her on one point: the hype leading up to at least my installation of Linux was like a carnival...for all the reading I'd done, I was still perplexed & unprepared by the fact that there was *no* interface. As a child, I think I would've just lost interest. As an adult, I just think, "Linux, all show." The "go" is, or at least was, reserved for only the most computer-savvy.

Linux, too, seems a bit cult-like to me.
There's too much of an "in opposition of" tone when people talk about Linux that I just can't get comfortable, I guess.

Just my $.02

40hz:
Wow!

The thing I find telling isn't the smack directed at Linux. It's this particular teacher's attitude that I find alarming.

I wouldn't care if she were bashing Linux, Windows, or anything else so much as I'm disturbed by the self-righteous and arrogant tone coming out of every sentence she's written.

And when you add in her hostility and general cluelessness, it goes beyond alarming and starts getting downright scary.

I wouldn't want someone like her allowed to be anywhere near a child.

SKesselman:
I agree.

It actually sounds made-up, like a script from a movie, where the teacher is being shown as the culprit.

And to say that there's no such thing as free software...I mean, you don't have to download freeware to know that it exists!?! A bit over-the-top IMHO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version