topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: uCalc Fast Math Parser 2.96 released  (Read 4557 times)

Daniel Corbier

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
uCalc Fast Math Parser 2.96 released
« on: December 10, 2008, 09:42 PM »
uCalc Fast Math Parser 2.96 was officially released today.  uCalc FMP will allow your applications to evaluate math expressions defined at runtime. For instance ucEval("2+5*10") returns 52. If you wanted to quickly plot a 3D surface such as "(sin(x)+cos(z))*z/3" you'd use ucEvaluate() for maximum speed.

For more details see:

Product Overview
Main Features
What's New in v2.96
Download

Donationcoder members might also be interested in the Free License.

If you'd like to see an example of an interesting product that uses uCalc FMP, please download the uCalc Graphing Calculator beta, which comes with an interactive animated tutorial.  See http://www.ucalc.com...alcwin.html#calcbeta

Daniel Corbier
Author of uCalc FMP
www.ucalc.com

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: uCalc Fast Math Parser 2.96 released
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:30 PM »
Interesting...

Do you have (or can you supply) a comparison with :

1- free Microsoft script control (msscript.ocx) or,
2- free languages DLLs such as LUA ?
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

Daniel Corbier

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: uCalc Fast Math Parser 2.96 released
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 07:43 PM »
Yes.

1. uCalc FMP is more than 100 times faster than MS Script Control.  Years ago, I had done my own speed test between uCalc and Microsoft Script Control.  uCalc's speed advantage seemed absurdly large, and it felt like I must have been using the script control the wrong way to get such slow results with it.  Here's a page by an independent party that confirms the great speed difference:  http://www.garybeene...iews/rev-parsers.htm .  That same page shows that uCalc runs more than 2 times faster than Lua.  Plus the current uCalc release is even faster than before.

2. You can actually create a language like Lua with uCalc Language Builder.  A few years ago, I did a presentation at Harvard, where I indicated that with uCalc, you'd be able to create a language like Lua, with minimal effort, using uCalc.  This was an ambitious idea using an earlier implementation of uCalc.  I don't think I wooed anybody.  But in case you are curious, please see the PowerPoint that accompanied my presentation at: http://www.ucalc.com/harvard.ppt .  The info there is outdated.  uCalc Language Builder was re-designed entirely from scratch since then.  The main idea is the same, but the approach is different.

The main idea is that uCalc Language Builder lets you create the programming language of your choice.  There are many scripting languages out there -- Lua being one of them.  Imagine if you wanted a language just like Lua, but with a few additional constructs from maybe Python, or Logo, etc.  Well with uCalc you can create your very own scripting language, just the way you want it.  Or if someone already created a language with uCalc, you'd be able to customize it.  The important thing is that the process of creating a language is designed to be easy with uCalc LB.

Please visit www.ucalc.com/langbuilder.html to see what uCalc Language Builder is about.  On that page, you'll see links to the simple code used for creating versions of Lisp and Forth.  You'll find more in the download.  For lighter material, see the Programming section of the animated tutorial that comes with the uCalc Calculator beta at http://www.ucalc.com...alcwin.html#calcbeta .

uCalc LB is still a work in progress.  So I need as much feedback as possible on it.

Daniel Corbier
Author of uCalc FMP & LB
www.ucalc.com