ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What the? - the case of the undeletable file...

<< < (2/3) > >>

Target:
the file isn't locked, so an unlocker isn't necessary - closing excel is all thats necessary to delete the file, and once deleted the new version loads as advertised, at least until the next reboot...

I always search hidden/system files as well, just in case.  And as I said, I've scanned all the local and network drives and the file cannot be found, but it always comes back at the next reboot  :huh::mad:

I haven't tried shredding the file, though I'm not quite sure how that might help (if the file isn't staying deleted, then it seems logical that there's something wrong with either the OS or the network, or both, though the number of occurences would indicate otherwise)

I had thought of going back to the old naming convention (I've added an 'about' button to give version info), but there is still the issue of deleting the thing should someone ever need to...

gonetomorrow:
Your knowledge of Office greatly exceeds my own.  I hope this link may offer some help:Removing references to network resources that have been permanently taken off-line

Target:
Your knowledge of Office greatly exceeds my own.  -gonetomorrow (December 28, 2008, 12:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

unlikely, and thanks for the link

Davidtheo:
This may seem silly but is there anyway you have missed a file on the drive, network drives or in a shared files on the users computers and other computers and it is being run at startup. Try checking your startup locations in the reg, ini files and config files and any other location.

Target:
This may seem silly but is there anyway you have missed a file on the drive, network drives or in a shared files on the users computers and other computers and it is being run at startup. Try checking your startup locations in the reg, ini files and config files and any other location.
-Davidtheo (December 29, 2008, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

it's possible that I've missed it, though I've done numerous searches without finding anything

I haven't checked any reg entries (or equivalent) as I haven't set any (the addin is added to the default Excel startup directory) - it seems logical (to me) though to assume that any reg entries (or equivalent) that pointed to a non-existent file would have no effect

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version