ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Email etiquette How to Decline Fowards/Junk?

<< < (3/6) > >>

J-Mac:
I have a paid Fastmail account that allows me to create as many as 30 "aliases", additional email addresses that refer back to my main account. I try to never use my primary email address for general distribution. Instead I create aliases that I use for different reasons. A few were created specifically for situations like this.  :)

Of course I also have a $9.95 Spamex account. That allows my to create up to 500 disposable email addresses per year. I can give out a Spamex address and any replies/spam etc. to that address goes directly to Spamex, who then passes it along to me. The sender has no way of finding out my true email address, and I can also send messages to them again using that same address. It is worth more than the actual cost IMO!

Jim

Deozaan:
I just ask them to stop. They're the ones who are the "guests" in your e-mail account. They should respect your desires for your account just as they should respect any other part of your property.

I'm nice about it, but I let them know I don't enjoy forwards and chain letters etc., and that I don't want my e-mail address visible to hundreds of others across the internet due to mass forwarding. In a display of paranoia I've even asked people to remove my last name from their address book so that even if they do add me to the mass-forward list at least the "strangers" don't have my full name.

Everyone I've asked has complied. Usually this means I stop getting any e-mail from them except the rare personal message, but I'm not complaining because that's exactly what I asked for: Personal mail only.

I have no problem with the idea of having to be rude to someone (if I have to) in order to get them to stop bugging me with spam. After all, if you ask nicely and they persist, they are the ones being rude.

city_zen:
I also have a $9.95 Spamex account. That allows my to create up to 500 disposable email addresses per year. I can give out a Spamex address and any replies/spam etc. to that address goes directly to Spamex, who then passes it along to me. The sender has no way of finding out my true email address, and I can also send messages to them again using that same address. It is worth more than the actual cost IMO!
-J-Mac (December 11, 2008, 01:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Jim, I didn't know about Spamex, but I have been using Spamgourmet for a few years now (and I'm very happy with it  :Thmbsup:). While going over the features of Spamex, I realized they don't seem to be much different than those of Spamgourmet (which is free). I wonder if you have tried SG and, if you have, how does Spamex compare with it.

40hz:
im, I didn't know about Spamex, but I have been using Spamgourmet for a few years now (and I'm very happy with it  :Thmbsup:). While going over the features of Spamex, I realized they don't seem to be much different than those of Spamgourmet (which is free). I wonder if you have tried SG and, if you have, how does Spamex compare with it.
-city_zen (December 11, 2008, 06:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

You could also take a look at TrashMail.

Basic service s free. And you can create as many temporary addresses as you like. Free accounts will only allow 10 forwards per address, and the addresses will expire after a maximum of 30 days.

Registration will cost you $3.99 USD/2,99EURO annually, and allow for unlimited forwards and forwarding time per address.

There is also  a very handy Firefox extension available.

www.trashmail.net

J-Mac:
I also have a $9.95 Spamex account. That allows my to create up to 500 disposable email addresses per year. I can give out a Spamex address and any replies/spam etc. to that address goes directly to Spamex, who then passes it along to me. The sender has no way of finding out my true email address, and I can also send messages to them again using that same address. It is worth more than the actual cost IMO!
-J-Mac (December 11, 2008, 01:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Jim, I didn't know about Spamex, but I have been using Spamgourmet for a few years now (and I'm very happy with it  :Thmbsup:). While going over the features of Spamex, I realized they don't seem to be much different than those of Spamgourmet (which is free). I wonder if you have tried SG and, if you have, how does Spamex compare with it.

-city_zen (December 11, 2008, 06:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

The only big difference I see is that Spamex will keep my throwaway addresses active as long as I need, and keep replying back to them/me until I decide to kill it. I can view a listing of all addresses there that I have used as well as which as still active. Also, it allows me to enter what site or sites I use that address for, what my username is at that site or those sites, and I can build some autoreplies using that info.

I don’t use those features much, admittedly, but for under $10 yearly it's a nice set of features!

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version