ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Email etiquette How to Decline Fowards/Junk?

<< < (2/6) > >>

katykaty:
Well, I suppose it depends who they are, how easily they take offence and what the consequences are of offending them :)

You receive valuable messages from them and want to carry on like that but don't want other messages like abcxyz? So just reply back politely saying exactly that.

If it happens so often that you need a rule then you could set up a rule to automatically move their messages to a specific folder. Most emails apps will also let you run a rule on just the selected messages, so select the junk ones and then run the 'no thanks' rule on those.

Or if you're more like me, do a reply to all recipients, saying 'Hi all - I just got this bit of spam from poiuytrewq - I'm not interested but since you were all on the To:' list I guess you are; I thought I'd forward it again to you all just in case the original got inadvertently caught by your spam filters.'

;)

nosh:
Create another account and request them to update your "forwards address", not as rude as declining their forwards and you never have to check the new account. Or set up your own filters and take care of it on your own. I take the latter approach when some people start sending really large attachments.

Got a 30 MB mail @ gmail today, didn't know they accept such large attachments- their outgoing limit is 20 MB.

thefritz_j:
Just wondering a bit about how you use your  "forwards address"...

Do you make it similar to your "real address" : [email protected]?
Do you check the mail in it?
If so, do you use an email client to get both accounts?

Thanks!

tranglos:
I've always had trouble formulating such messages without sounding like I'm preaching from a high horse. If you're rude, you're rude - but if you make it polite, it sounds condescending. Most of the time I just clench my teethn and delete those things.

However, when I am asked for my email address at a brick and mortar store which "values my custom" (ha! what crock), I always write "spam@[mydomain].com. It's an actual mailbox that delivers, since I also use it for various casual online subscriptions. I used to just refuse to give them anything, but now I use this address. Is this rude? :)

nosh:
Just wondering a bit about how you use your  "forwards address"...

Do you make it similar to your "real address" : [email protected]?
Do you check the mail in it?
If so, do you use an email client to get both accounts?

Thanks!

-thefritz_j (December 10, 2008, 02:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't really use a forwards address, I use filters. But it does sound a bit more polite than asking them to stop. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version