ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Email etiquette How to Decline Fowards/Junk?

(1/6) > >>

thefritz_j:
I need some Email etiquette advice, perhaps with a technical solution!  :P

I don't know about anyone else but sometimes the people on my "Safe" email list (Safe as in not Junk mail senders) send me junk mail.  I would like an email feature that would allow me to send an official reply when people do this to me that looks like:

DELIVERY FAILURE NOTIFICATION
The email message "FWD:  Slow Dance, Please read this, don't delete!" could not be delivered to the following recipients:

[email protected]

Reason:  SPAM Email Rejection
--- End quote ---

Would it be rude for me to reply like this from my real email address?
Does anyone know of a program that could do this, or perhaps an online email service that I could send this from?  I think it would be cool if an email client had a "Polite Decline" feature that could send a response like this.

I don't want to block this sender, but I also don't want the occasional junk mail either!

Maybe I should suck it up and just ask them to not send it like a real person?  :-[

Help!, Thanks!

f0dder:
You shouldn't make it a "couldn't be delivered" kind of message, since the message is in fact delivered (some people might try re-sending if they get a "couldn't be delivered").

Decent email applications should offer message template support. Make a template that briefly and politely explains that you're not interested in junk/spam/silly jokes/powerpoint presentations/whatever, and send that when you get one of those junk mails. The idea is to make the template not seem too much like a cold and angry auto-generated reply.

tomos:
what gets me about that kind of junk is that people who should know better leave all address visible and your email address ends up going around the world to god knows who (Iz grumpy today :-[ )

fenixproductions:
what gets me about that kind of junk is that people who should know better leave all address visible and your email address ends up going around the world to god knows who (Iz grumpy today :-[ )-tomos (December 10, 2008, 05:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree with that but remember: it can be worse.

I had a friend who used to (and still does) send emails with "funny" attachments (few MB each) to all of her contacts. Obviously - not using BCC. I've asked politely about 5 times to not send me such emails and to use BCC fields.

End result?

I've been labelled as "not funny / annoying" person and I had to set the rule for my account to automatically delete ANY email from this person with size above 2MB. Sometimes people just don't listen and you have to be rude :(

thefritz_j:
 :Thmbsup: Thanks for the advice, here is what I said:

Dear "So and so",

Since this email address is my "main" address that I like to keep tidy would you please not send "FWDs" or "pass along stories"?

Thanks!

"me"
--- End quote ---

We'll see if I offend them!  Hopefully not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version