ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Email etiquette How to Decline Fowards/Junk?

<< < (4/6) > >>

SKesselman:
I'm with Deozaan 100% on this.

I've had to ask one friend several times to (at least) use BCC & finally ended up having to be embarrass/shock her in order to get my point across, stating immediately upon receipt of her junk mails that I couldn't believe she still didn't know how to use BCC for sending junk mail. I offered to teach her and was pretty pushy about it...she stopped after a couple - OK, a few - of those conversations.

Then there's the, "I'm absolutely, never, ever responding to this garbage" method that I used with another friend.
This means that when they ask you about it, Say you just don't acknowledge mail of that kind...it goes straight to the trash, as there's just not enough time in the day to read it all. But here, you must stick to your guns. If they think you've read one FWD:, you're finished.

Or, play innocent: "Oh, come on, nobody really reads those things...do they?"

They may not listen very well, or utilize BCC, but our spamming friends do update their mailing lists from time to time, & zero response does say something, sometimes. Good luck!! :Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
I'd also like to point out that this thread seems particularly sensitive to e-mail etiquette. Well, in my opinion, it is not proper e-mail etiquette to mass forward e-mails at all.

I think that most people don't know about BCC hiding e-mail addresses, so I have more patience when asking/instructing the use of BCC. But they ought to know that spam is unsolicited e-mail, and I have no qualms about informing other people that I consider mass-forwards to be unsolicited.

40hz:
I'd also like to point out that this thread seems particularly sensitive to e-mail etiquette. Well, in my opinion, it is not proper e-mail etiquette to mass forward e-mails at all.
-Deozaan (December 12, 2008, 02:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

There was an interesting article up on 43Folders that touches on this most touchy of topics:

Link: http://www.43folders.com/2008/12/09/pretending

[via trivium]

The High Cost of Pretending

danah boyd is finishing her dissertation, then going on vacation for a month. While, she’s gone, she’s not accepting email. At all. Got that?

No apology. No “vacation message” to pretend she’ll read it later. And no implied promise that the stuff people send to her will magically be tended to by an invisble army of interns and elves. While she’s away, every message she receives is simply discarded with a friendly response as to why.
--- End quote ---

Worth a read even if you find there's much you disagree with. 8)

Deozaan:
There was an interesting article up on 43Folders that touches on this most touchy of topics:

Link: http://www.43folders.com/2008/12/09/pretending-40hz (December 12, 2008, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Off-Topic of the thread, but in response to the article aboveAs quoted in the article:

Apparently, you should pretend to like anyone who pretends to like you. This is called "networking," and it's why the web smells like feet.-http://twitter.com/hotdogsladies/statuses/879336449
--- End quote ---

I think this is why I just don't "get" social networking sites like MySpace/Facebook or even microblogs such as Twitter. Random people start following me or adding me to their friends list and at first there's an impulsive obligation to "friend" them back. But then I remember that Tom is not my friend, and neither are any of the anonymous strangers who randomly put me on their lists.

nosh:
Deozaan,
I felt much the same way about social networking sites and Twitter but the recent attacks in my city showed me how incredibly useful micro-blogging can be. You can search for pretty much any keyword (hashtag) at search.twitter.com so a search for #mumbai would immediately put you in a sort of chatroom where you got the latest breaking news from people situated close to the attacks, NTM a great compilation of links & resources in the days that followed. The flipside is that it's pretty easy to spread misinformation and rumors. Twitter was also a bit too effective for its own good, with the Indian govt. apparently asking to block the search page for a while in order to protect military operations. For all its pros and cons, the one thing Twitter isn't, is "just another tool".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version