ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How will the Earth end?

<< < (11/19) > >>

Cpilot:
Here's the answer.
The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement
Phasing out the human race by voluntarily ceasing to breed will allow Earth's biosphere to return to good health. Crowded conditions and resource shortages will improve as we become less dense.
-the website
--- End quote ---
-Cpilot (December 16, 2008, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D :P
-Deozaan (December 16, 2008, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hehe  :D
Sounds funny don't it?
I'm old enough to remember when "animal rights" and "PETA" were considered fringe, nutty, out there ideas.
Now they're pretty much mainstream, nearly all states have laws on the books defining animal cruelty with penalties for the transgressors.
Cock fighting and dog fights (remember Michael Vick?) haven't always been illegal........hard to fathom isn't it?
There are already some people out there who won't have children because of the "environment".
Meet the women who won't have babies - because they're not eco friendly
"Having children is selfish. It's all about maintaining your genetic line at the expense of the planet," says Toni, 35.
--- End quote ---
Consider that, then reread this thread.
It may take a few decades but The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement doesn't seem so far out there, does it?

Deozaan:
Sounds funny don't it?
I'm old enough to remember when "animal rights" and "PETA" were considered fringe, nutty, out there ideas.
Now they're pretty much mainstream, nearly all states have laws on the books defining animal cruelty with penalties for the transgressors.
Cock fighting and dog fights (remember Michael Vick?) haven't always been illegal........hard to fathom isn't it?
There are already some people out there who won't have children because of the "environment".
Meet the women who won't have babies - because they're not eco friendly
"Having children is selfish. It's all about maintaining your genetic line at the expense of the planet," says Toni, 35.
--- End quote ---
Consider that, then reread this thread.
It may take a few decades but The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement doesn't seem so far out there, does it?-Cpilot (December 16, 2008, 09:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

It will always seems "far out there" to me, much like PETA and other animal rights activists who are more humane to animals than humans, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it become more widely adopted as the social norm in the not-too-distant future.

Cpilot:
It will always seems "far out there" to me, much like PETA and other animal rights activists who are more humane to animals than humans, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it become more widely adopted as the social norm in the not-too-distant future.
--- End quote ---
Yup, humanity will die out eventually but it won't be some dramatic event where we have a chance to show our nobility (and we are a noble species, contrary to what the naysayers want us to believe), we'll go out on a pathetic little whimper....all for the sake of the "planet".

4wd:
"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure."

- Agent Smith: The Matrix.-mahesh2k (December 15, 2008, 03:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's a fundamental flaw in that quote. The fictional character of Agent Smith categorizes human beings as a cancerous virus while proclaiming his own "race" of machines as the cure for that cancer. Yet it is the machines who are enslaving, killing, and leeching off of the humans for their survival. That was not a symbiotic relationship. And I'm sure the machines had no need for rain forests, animals or natural beauty. Isn't that ironic?-Deozaan (December 15, 2008, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

That may be so but........

The funny thing about nature that you seem to think doesn't apply to humans is that it has a way of balancing itself out eventually. Whenever the wolf population gets too large and kills too many deer, there is a lack of food and the wolves die of starvation. It may take many years for the deer population to recuperate, but it will, and then the wolves will be back to start the cycle again. Are wolves any more restrained in their consuming of natural resources than humans are? And it's not just wolves. Even an overpopulation of deer could wipe out certain flora in the area.-Deozaan (December 15, 2008, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Your analogy about nature with respect to the human population is also flawed.  Animals generally don't overuse a resource just because "it's there".  A wolf will kill a deer and eat what it needs to survive, any remaining carcass will itself be consumed by other predators, vermin, insects, etc, with the remains rotting down thereby furnishing the plants upon which the deer feed with nutrients.  ie. A reasonably self-supporting closed eco-system cycle - is what I meant.

The only humans that could possibly be in balance with nature are those that are living in sync with their environment such that their population of an area has become virtually static, eg. the Kalahari bushmen before they were "discovered".

Current "civilised" human beings just spread and consume and in that respect they are closer to virii than mammals.

The only way nature could balance out on this planet is to arbitrarily wipe out 90% of human beings but even then there would be enough remaining idiots who didn't get the message and just proceed as if they were kids let loose in a candy store.

Oh, and in case it's not quite clear, I side with Agent Smith :)

Cpilot:
The only way nature could balance out on this planet is to arbitrarily wipe out 90%of human beings  but even then there would be enough remaining idiots who didn't get the message and just proceed as if they were kids let loose in a candy store.

--- End quote ---
But of course you're not one of the "90%" are you, being smarter than the rest of us idiots?
Because you're too enlightened to be wiped out with the other virii.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version