topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 11:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: stuck: WinPCap setup freezes  (Read 6992 times)

McSam

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
stuck: WinPCap setup freezes
« on: December 09, 2008, 09:37 AM »
While installing UrlSnooper the WinPCap setup routine froze. UrlSnooper wouldn't launch, so I uninstalled UrlSnooper and tried to delete the WinPCap program folder which has 2 files in it, but I get the message:
Cannot delete WinnPcap: It is being used by another person or program.
Any ideas?
Thanks

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: stuck: WinPCap setup freezes
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 01:06 PM »
Easiest way to fix it is to download a nice little utility called Unlocker and have at it. :)

Get it here:  http://www.download....2248_4-10493998.html

Publisher's description of Unlocker

Ever had such an annoying message given by Windows: Cannot delete file: Access is denied. There has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use or the file is in use by another program or user. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use. Unlocker is the solution. Unlocker is an Explorer extension that allows you with a simple right-click of the mouse on a file or folder to get rid of error message such as error deleting file or folder, cannot delete folder: it is used by another person or program.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:08 PM by 40hz »

McSam

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: stuck: WinPCap setup freezes
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 01:20 PM »
... or restart Windows, which is what I did.

BTW, Mouser, does UrlSnooper expect WinPCap to be installed in a certain directory?  I like to install my Programs NOT in Windows/Program Files, but I noticed that WinPCap didn't ask and installed itself there, while UrlSnooper was installed in a different drive.
I wonder if that was the cause of the freezeup.