ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A rant on religiousness about OSes

<< < (9/10) > >>

Renegade:
No, it would be too close to "science".  :D
-Tuxman (August 03, 2010, 07:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

True. Even the Scientologist would take offense there~! :)

iphigenie:
The mac religion topic just had a revive last week  :tellme:

Renegade:
The mac religion topic just had a revive last week  :tellme:
-iphigenie (June 19, 2011, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

WWDC?

iphigenie:
and since i dug the old thread from the grave, let me see what has changed.. not much :) (well, Solaris is gone as an option...)

In the past month I have read at least a dozen of Z sucks I am switching to Y posts in all directions, including this one http://batsov.com/Linux/Windows/Rant/2011/06/11/linux-desktop-experience-killing-linux-on-the-desktop.html

now i will agree with most of his list of problems/pain encountered in GNU/Linux systems in the past 10 years, but I also must say that I totally remember having the same kind of problems on windows in the same time period. Driver issues, graphics issues, sound issues, hardware not working after a new version, issues around power management and suspend/restore... I have had near all the problems he lists both in gnu/linux and in windows

at the moment as a minimalist desktop person - as someone who wants an interface that gets out of the way, not in the way - I much prefer the experience I get on the gnu/linux desktop with "old" wms than I do the up-to-date gnome/unity/kde stuff OR windows 7. They all suck, as per rule #1  ;)

I'd like a simple linux desktop/wm but with all my windows apps and tools... and am looking at alternative shells on windows to see if i can simplify it (I used to use Object Desktop suite for that on windows but they have pretty much given up on all the non eye candy tools and features so I have to find a new way to get a clean, keyboard driven interface with right click menu and no clutter...)

Edvard:
One reason I've stuck with Xfce as my Desktop of choice.
It just keeps getting nicer without overhauling the whole gestalt.
Menus, icons, launchers, etc. all right where you want them, doing what they're told.

BTW - I've got a few notches on my belt with Litestep, which can be VERY minimal but retain quite a bit of functionality, and Liteshell is about as minimal as you can get with a desktop right-click menu and configurable hotkeys, if you need assistance, give me a shout.
Caveat: these alternative shells and their communities aren't what they once were, and Vista/7 hasn't played nice. Be careful...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version