ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2009

NANY 2009 Release: LifeSaver diary

<< < (9/12) > >>

CWuestefeld:
Just a quick update.

First, insert the usual excuses: busy at work, got sick, yadda yadda.

But today I'm trying to look at this again, starting with adding an MRU list to the menu so you don't need to keep finding your diary file.

CWuestefeld:
OK, Version 1.0.3311 is now uploaded to the original post, as well as my own web site. The only difference here is that the File menu is now enhanced with an MRU list of your files.

Note: I also discovered an issue with the installer. You'll need to uninstall any previous version before installing this update.

Darned installers. I hate 'em. I wish there was decent documentation from Microsoft. There's lots of stuff that says "if you select this then X", but it really never tells you what the heck "X" means, and what its implications are.

thane777:
I just downloaded your app.  So far I love it.  Thanks so much for your hard work on this and for making it free. 

One question I have is about exporting to xml.  When I try viewing it in either FF3 or IE7 I only get the document tree (raw html code).  FF3 gives the following information:  This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

Am I saving it incorrectly?   I am just appending .xml to the end of my diary name when saving.

Thanks again!

Thane

CWuestefeld:
One question I have is about exporting to xml.  When I try viewing it in either FF3 or IE7 I only get the document tree (raw html code).  ...

Am I saving it incorrectly?
-thane777 (January 25, 2009, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, you're doing everything correctly, this is exactly what's supposed to happen.

The idea of the XML export is that all of your data is encoded in a form that's easily read by any software that cares to do so. That is, any other diary software could easily extend their features to allow importing LifeSaver's output. It's not supposed to be human-readable, at least not in any pleasing form.

However, I do plan to build an HTML export into the program as well. Perhaps you could tell me what your expectations are.

How would you like to see HTML output be organized? For example, should it be just one giant long page (probably not)? Or should there be an index page listing all the entries, or maybe the index should be a frame, opening up individual entries internally? Or maybe somewhere inbetween, grouping, say, all the entries within a month into single pages, with an index for the months?

kwacky1:
Note: I also discovered an issue with the installer. You'll need to uninstall any previous version before installing this update.

Darned installers. I hate 'em. I wish there was decent documentation from Microsoft. There's lots of stuff that says "if you select this then X", but it really never tells you what the heck "X" means, and what its implications are.
-CWuestefeld (January 24, 2009, 03:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey CWuestefeld, if you need any help with MSI packaging, I'm your man, it's what I do day to day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version