ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2009

NANY 2009 Release: LifeSaver diary

<< < (2/12) > >>

CWuestefeld:
I've just posted an alpha version of the app. The download link is http://www.thewuestefelds.com/lifesaver/downloads/LifeSaverSetup.zip

As I said in my update to the original post at the top:
Known Issues

* Minimal error handling in place.
* Create new diary over the top of an existing one doesn't actually create a new one, it just re-opens the existing one.
* Delete entry not implemented yet.
* Password protection not implemented yet (Actually, it's built into the datastore, it's just that the save/open code doesn't yet ask for a password)
* Keep in mind that this is just the first public demo. I'm looking for feedback on the direction I'm going, as well as information on where it does or doesn't work. I'm particularly interested in the installer: what happens if you don't have .Net installed? What if you've got a newer .Net (3.0 or 3.5) but not 2.0?

mouser:
i like the look of the interface.

superboyac:
This is cool, CW.  Man, there sure is a lot of talent here at DC.

puzzlebox:
I know it's not yet finished but two things I've noticed:

* 1. There was an error about LS not being able to open the diary because another process (presumably LS too) is using the diary file
* 2. I can read my entry when opening the lsd file in a text editor

CWuestefeld:

* 1. There was an error about LS not being able to open the diary because another process (presumably LS too) is using the diary file
* 2. I can read my entry when opening the lsd file in a text editor-puzzlebox (December 16, 2008, 04:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the feedback, puzzlebox. I appreciate your taking the time to look at it.

I'll look at #1 right away. You're probably right about the cause. I'm just starting to work on exception handling, and this is definitely one area I can make it better.

I'm aware of #2. The version you're seeing has no protection at all. I've got a working implementation of password protection here, but even so, the underlying datastore will look exactly the same. The password protection I'm using is really only as strong as the stupid little lock on a diary: your little brother can still open it with a paperclip.

If anyone has real secrets that need protection, I recommend using a serious crypto product like TrueCrypt. They've solved that problem better than I ever could. How much do you disagree with that decision?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version