ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Funny, Strange, and Confusing Error Messages

(1/4) > >>

Deozaan:
I thought for certain that we had a thread like this before but I couldn't find it. And rather than resurrect two similar threads from last year (here and here) I decided to start a new one.

The general idea of this thread is to post screen shots of any genuine error messages you've come across that are funny, strange, absolutely not at all helpful, or even confusing. I'll start off.

I encountered this one a few days ago. I can't remember what application I was running at the time, but I think it was one of those free MMO games.

This one I got a couple years ago and once again I can't remember what application it came from.

And finally, this is one I didn't personally witness, but an online friend of mine sent me the image of this even more years ago. I believe this was a message that occurred during the installation of some software he owned.

fenixproductions:
2Deozaan

Interesting idea but, personally, I don't believe in many error mesages screenshots posted through Internet. It is to easy to create fake one.

The general idea of this thread is to post screen shots of any genuine error messages you've come across that are funny, strange, absolutely not at all helpful, or even confusing. I'll start off.-Deozaan (December 07, 2008, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hm. Why screenshots? Ctrl+C works globally for all MessageBox dialogs in Windows...

tranglos:
An earlier version of Windows (could be 95) would sometimes display an error message when shutting down, to the effect of "The system cannot close, because [...] is still working". In place of [...] you would see the name of the process that was refusing to close. Sometimes though it was as if the system could not even obtain the name of the process, in which case the error message read "...because Unknown is still working".

This is still fairly innocuous in English, but in the Polish version of Windows the message gained a bit of chlling ambiguity. "Unknown" was translated as an adjective in masculine form, which could also be a noun (just like "rich" or "blind" in English), so at first sight you would interpret it as referring to a person. Efectively, the message read "The system cannot close, because the Stranger is still working".

It was a major ROTFL every time.

tranglos:
Also, for an endless supply of wacky error messages, check out the Error'd section from The Daily WTF blog:

http://thedailywtf.com/Series/Error_0x27_d.aspx

(Make sure to navigate to previous months, there's years of material there)

Deozaan:
2Deozaan

Interesting idea but, personally, I don't believe in many error mesages screenshots posted through Internet. It is to easy to create fake one.

The general idea of this thread is to post screen shots of any genuine error messages you've come across that are funny, strange, absolutely not at all helpful, or even confusing. I'll start off.-Deozaan (December 07, 2008, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hm. Why screenshots? Ctrl+C works globally for all MessageBox dialogs in Windows...
-fenixproductions (December 07, 2008, 09:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't realize that Ctrl-C would work if the message box wouldn't let me select the text with my mouse.

As for the verity of those screenshots, I took the first two myself. So if you still think they're photoshopped or faked, thanks for letting me know you think I'm a liar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version