topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I had the strangest dream last night...  (Read 11392 times)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had the strangest dream last night...
« on: December 07, 2008, 06:42 AM »
As often happens with dreams, the beginnings started before retiring for the night. I was explaining to my wife about things Web 2.0 and of Mash Ups and of making sense of the ever growing Internet.

But I woke this morning after a most realistic dream: I was sitting at my computer, though it wasn't the Windows box I have today. In fact, as it often happens in dreams, I was not aware of my computer at all: just that I was using it.

I knew that I was using an application called Google Office (though I don't know how I knew), and I'm not sure how I was controlling it, as I was not aware of a monitor, mice or keyboards; but the 3-D space that was Google Office stretched out in front of me, much larger and less defined than how I think of a monitor interface.

Google Office was a 3-D application in the form of a room, an office in fact, with desk, reading lounge and from memory, a corridor running past the room, in which I could see people passing. In some ways, not dissimilar to some 3-D Desktops that are available today (not that I've seen or used any of those 3-D Desktops).

On my desk was all manner of the usual objects: clock, digital photo-frame, books, etc. I was able to produce some writing paper and begin a document (using MicroSoft Word of all things), I filed it in the cabinet under the desk, and could see many other documents that I'd written or saved (must have been in a different dream, because I didn't remember doing any of it). A diary was there, which I opened and I could see the suspected applications. These existed in 3-D space, I could pick them up, move them and open them. They could be used on the desk or expanded to work on them at a greater zoom. There were even Post-It notes!

In my dream, I was aware of the "newness" of the application (no bugs thankfully and no crashes: it must have been a dream!). The separation between the application and myself was minimal, meaning, I seemed to be in the application (as players are in the action games I see my boys playing). I could see my 3-D representation, but I was not aware of using any input devices.

I retired to the reading couch, moving through 3-D space, and opened the newspaper. I started to read an article about someone I knew (not that I actually knew the person in reality, but I knew that I knew him in the dream). I focused the newspaper and read the article. In the article was a picture of the person I knew, with someone else, whom was included in the article (but I did not know).

I was able to activate the picture and it became a video, which started to play (much like what happens on youTube). Then I was able to reach out and touch the person whom I knew in the video. He became a 3-D entity that emerged from the video and started reacting to me. It was like what happens in a chat programme or a video chat, except it was in 3-D space. At the time in my dream I thought that the contact details for this person had to be included in the image and video somehow: and I thought how wonderful that was, that the ease of connectivity was just like it was when we used to talk to people at the shops next to the tomatoes.

After I finished talking with this person, I released his 3-D image, which went back into the image and the animation stopped. I put the paper down on the reading table. There were people walking past the room, or at least, there were 3-D representations of people walking past the room; I knew that if I wanted I could stop and chat with them (much like we use chat programmes today, except I was visually aware of the people whom I could chat with).

And then I woke up and remembered it all. And now I don't know if I need a dream analyst or a coder?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I had the strangest dream last night...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 06:47 AM »
I think you need a life ;)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 06:52 AM »
If it were 2D and Microsoft, it would have been considered a nightmare.  :D

msBob.jpgI had the strangest dream last night...

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 06:58 AM »
Ah, Carol, that may well be true  :-[  but it did make me wonder as I clipped the Camellia hedge today where we were headed and if the paper and pen in my bilum that I carry everywhere would ever be replaced.

@app:
Goodness only knows how Word got in there! And thankfully, the render was a touch more tasteful  :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 07:31 AM »
Hm, interesting dream.

With traditional computers and display devices, something like this is imho useless. But with a direct brain neuro-interface hookup, it might be usable, and even nice to use?
- carpe noctem

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 07:35 AM »
But with a direct brain neuro-interface hookup, it might be usable, and even nice to use?

MicroSoft wont be around then, will they??  :o That'd be scary if they were in your brain!

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 08:13 AM »
Well I get dreams about Apple Macbook Pro and Gnome Desktop so many times and i considered it as good omen  :D

If i see anything related to Microsoft (like C#, Mono, Windows 7, Blue screen of death) in Dreams then i consider it as bad omen  :D  ;D

Just kidding folks, i'm not cyber superstitious person....  :D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 08:30 AM »
No, I think I had the strangest dream last night.

I dreamed that I was brushing my teeth. Then as I was brushing my teeth I realized that my armpits were sweaty because I was a little hot. And apparently I didn't have a shirt on because the next action I took was to take my toothbrush out of my mouth and start brushing my armpits.

Then sanity and logic returned to me (sort of) and I realized what I was doing and that toothbrushes were meant for teeth and not armpits. So then I started to become very concerned about getting the toothbrush back in my mouth where it belonged but I didn't know how I was going to do that because I couldn't put it back in my mouth after it had been in my sweaty armpit. So then I put soap on my toothbrush and started rubbing it into the bristles. Then I realized that I couldn't just put it back in my mouth with soap all over it. It was a conundrum that I could not figure out.

Luckily I either woke up soon after that or just dreamed about something else, because I don't remember what happened next.

This is a true story. I really did dream that 24 hours ago when I was sleeping. Beat that!

But I think I need a new toothbrush, just to be on the safe side...

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 08:37 AM »
Deozaan: Do you sleep walk?

Because, if you do, you may want to either check the amount of toothpaste left in the tube, or any tell tale toothpaste drips where they shouldn't be... and if you find any: definitely get a new toothbrush!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 11:31 AM »
MicroSoft wont be around then, will they??  :o That'd be scary if they were in your brain!

If?  If?  You just told us, they're already in yours!
BSOD... Blue Screen of Dreams.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 11:34 AM »
If it were 2D and Microsoft, it would have been considered a nightmare.  :D
 (see attachment in previous post)

Oh, man - when I started reading this thread that is exactly what came to mind!

Oh my, do I have some - uhh - "fond" memories of that!  (NOT)

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 11:37 AM »
No, I think I had the strangest dream last night.

I dreamed that I was brushing my teeth. Then as I was brushing my teeth I realized that my armpits were sweaty because I was a little hot. And apparently I didn't have a shirt on because the next action I took was to take my toothbrush out of my mouth and start brushing my armpits.

Then sanity and logic returned to me (sort of) and I realized what I was doing and that toothbrushes were meant for teeth and not armpits. So then I started to become very concerned about getting the toothbrush back in my mouth where it belonged but I didn't know how I was going to do that because I couldn't put it back in my mouth after it had been in my sweaty armpit. So then I put soap on my toothbrush and started rubbing it into the bristles. Then I realized that I couldn't just put it back in my mouth with soap all over it. It was a conundrum that I could not figure out.

Luckily I either woke up soon after that or just dreamed about something else, because I don't remember what happened next.

This is a true story. I really did dream that 24 hours ago when I was sleeping. Beat that!

But I think I need a new toothbrush, just to be on the safe side...

Now I'm really getting scared here!  :o  Starting to sound like the start of a Clive Barker film.   :P

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 12:19 PM »
In my dream, I was aware of the "newness" of the application (no bugs thankfully and no crashes: it must have been a dream!).

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

actually your dream sounds like a pretty realistic description of where things may be going..

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 03:11 PM »
I'm with Carol here; last night's dream for me involved Joe Swash from I'm A Celebrity - Get Me Out Of Here! and a very x-rated bush tucker challenge'  ;)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 04:19 PM »
All I dream about these days is getting some sleep (insomnia seems to be kicking in again after a good patch).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 05:14 PM »
All I dream about these days is getting some sleep (insomnia seems to be kicking in again after a good patch).

Hear, hear, Carol. I'm in the same boat  >:(

@Deozaan and Perry - I think you both had too much to dream last night...

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 08:00 PM »
@Deozaan and Perry - I think you both had too much to dream last night...

Generally I don't remember my dreams at all, but when I do, there are never any toothbrushes in them ;)

After thinking about fOdder's comment I realised that the only way mere (poor) mortals would ever get a powerful enough system to drive that type of interface was if it was hooked to your wallet (or your potential wallet). So instead of Google watching where you go and what you click, they'll be watching your thoughts: you'll think "I'm a bit peckish" and there'll be advertisements for all your favourite buyable foods. You'll think "That lounge is a bit old" and you'll get links to online sofa stores. Maybe that's why the name was Google Office?

:'(

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 01:02 PM »
But with a direct brain neuro-interface hookup, it might be usable, and even nice to use?

You mean like Windows TP?
Windows for Telepaths

...You open the box labeled "Windows TP", carefully extracting the pouch labeled "License Agreement". You examine the contents of the pouch, finding an inflatable beanie bearing the Windows logo rather than the familiar 3.5" diskette package. You inflate the beanie, insert two "C"-size batteries (not included), and carefully place it on your head.

You press the Start button.

Immediately, the image of an hourglass comes to your mind. You find yourself trapped; unable to move anything in your body save your eyes.

After an indeterminable delay, you regain control of your senses. You are suddenly compelled to speak your name and business affiliation. You then retrieve your Windows TP package and chant the Product-ID number.

Suddenly you see the words "Windows is detecting new hardware" flash before your eyes.

You crash to the floor, writhing in agony. You feel every muscle in your body contract and retract in turn. Your mind is filled with the image of a blue inchworm, creeping slowly across a grey field...

I'd like to see Ralf re-write that article for Vista...

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 02:47 PM »
Windows for Telepaths

Oddly, that wasn't the first thing that came to mind when I read "Windows TP".

Edit [couldn't sort out the '/quote' marks]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 02:49 PM by cranioscopical »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 03:19 PM »
Windows for Telepaths

Oddly, that wasn't the first thing that came to mind when I read "Windows TP".

Edit [couldn't sort out the '/quote' marks]
-cranioscopical (December 08, 2008, 02:47 PM)

You and I seem to have jumped to the same conclusion on first flush...

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 03:36 PM »
You mean this? http://www.therawfee...ta-toilet-paper.html

I would like to see the EULA...
 ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 03:38 PM »

;D

"End User Latrine Agreement"  :o :tellme:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 10:45 PM »

;D

You're on a roll there, Mike!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 12:34 AM »

;D

You're on a roll there, Mike!
-cranioscopical (December 08, 2008, 10:45 PM)

Crap! That took me a second, but I got it. Good one  ;D

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 04:36 PM »
I found something interesting that I thought would be best shared in this thread, since the idea of an interface that mimics the real world was an essential part of the dream.

Take a look at BumpTop 3D: http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ