Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 20, 2014, 09:23:29 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: idea: Install program via downloading single .dcupdate  (Read 7394 times)
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 05, 2008, 06:41:37 AM »

Would it be interesting to download an run a .dcupdate file for a program which is not installed yet - which launches dcupdater and let dcupdater install the program?
That way you'd never have to point to the executable and the installation could be zero-click. That's pretty amazing.

I guess it would work without much extra development for programs that have an installer, and that .dcupdate files for zipped archives would be installed inside a MyDocuments\DcupdaterApps\<zipfilename> if a default path is not set within dcupdater (as its a portable app).

Imagine all coding snacks pointing to a dcupdate file, wow.

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 09:39:17 AM »

You might want to consider doing this via an application called GetIt. http://puchisoft.com/GetIt/

You can create your own repositories courtesy of AppSnap, which GetIt uses as it's 3rd party repository manager. Best of all, GetIt integrates with FARR!

GetIt has been mentioned here before:

http://www.donationcoder....um/index.php?topic=9536.0

A very cool utility.  Cool

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 10:14:20 AM »

That's the most confusing page i've seen in a long time tongue I'll need to look at it later, but I really prefer to use dcupdater

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 12:22:25 PM »

Don't blame you. It is not a page suitable for casual reading. Grin

BTW: I prefer dcupdater too. Cool

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:55:38 AM »

very good ideas justice.
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »

It should work right now as DCUpdater is. Just put the .dcupdate file into the desired directory and run it. DCU should then launch and do its stuff.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:30:52 AM »

unless as justice said, its a zip type.
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »

Well a great way to easy installations!

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 10:51:58 AM »

unless as justice said, its a zip type.

I'm fairly certain zip types would work too. Because when you open a .dcupdate file directly (instead of importing it from within DCU) then it will use the .dcupdate's directory as the "home" directory of DCU. That's why it won't show any of your other .dcupdate enabled programs.

justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 08:44:23 AM »

Did a couple of short tests:
* copied over a .dcupdate file of one of my programs into an empty folder and ran it. As the dcupdate was current nothing happened even though no folder is installed (unexpected but makes sense - except when installing as we don't want to create a seperate dcupdate for installs)
* changed version to out of date one: dcupdate runs and says the installation is out of date and opens the .zip url in the browser resulting in a download box (unexpected as method used was unzip not visit. personally as I was hoping it would download and install it in the folder with the .dcupdate - it must do a check for the program and then get confused when it cannot find it).
* downloaded the latest FARR, extracted the .dcupdate file from it, downgraded the version and ran it: dcupdate downloaded the FARR installation exe and ran it, YAY. the installer isn't defaulting to the folder it is ran from - which makes sense as the installer wasn't built for this scenario).

Interesting findings anyway and should make it easier to add this feature if mouser thinks its a good idea smiley

justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 08:05:06 AM »

Mouser I've been out of the loop, will there be some news regarding dcupdate later this year?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.036s | Server load: 0.02 ]