topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 7:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A little request  (Read 10170 times)

wiredxd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A little request
« on: April 26, 2005, 09:04 PM »
Hey guys,

This is one of the best programs avaliable or maybe the best i can find. I was wondering in the future release, could there be a "kill more than 1 process" option? So we can set it to what we want, like 3 and it will only allow 3 instance of the same process running and autokill the 4th.

Thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: A little request
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 01:52 AM »
strange request..
i guess i could add something like this.. i have a few things to add before that though..
but i will put it on to do list as i was thinking of adding a set of "advanced rules" and maybe i can support things like this, or other unusual rules.  if you can share the kind of application you were thinking of using this for it might help, if you feel like it.

wiredxd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 03:49 AM »
Hey mouser,

Thanks for the reply i appreciate. Let me explain, the kids no matter what or how you tell them they will never do as told. They tends to open up like 5 or even 10 explorer just to view different sites, and also chat with up to 20 friends in msn. Those windows *shrugs* uses up virtually all avaliable memory and it freezes alot.

Hope the above helps.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 04:08 AM »
you know you've given me an idea for a different kind of program..
it would tie in with your comments and some of the other comments in discussions we've had here on the important of common sense in security.

i wonder if it might be useful to have a program that could be configured with lots of rules and user-defined guidelines,
whose purpose was to really just watch the use of the computer and interject messages and operations when it sees certain conditions.

for example,
you could tell it that if >x # of explorer windows came up it would pop up a message explaining why this was bad,etc.

or you could set it so that when use opened some p2p program
it would pop up a message you wrote explaining to your kids or whoever, certain things to watch out for.

if they open instant messenger, it might remind them about dertain behavior.

so basically
it would be a program that people would install on a computer that other people use that would let them make like "help messages" that would come up when other users launched certain programs.

it could also be set to shut down programs that you dont want people using, etc., but programs that do this already exist; the main focus of this program would be in providing advice to users when they do certain things on the computer.

opinions? useful or not?

wiredxd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 04:12 AM »
Amazing, that would be even better as to stump out uncessary activity at its core. Theres one thing that need to be done though is to maybe let it run as service so that they "children are getting smarter" will not try to find out whats stopping them and then try to modify it or kill it themself.

war59312

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Will's Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 04:16 AM »
Well I would just hide the process from task manger. That would stop most kids. ;)

And PW protect it just in case.

So just ignore the normal kill commands. Only work if correct PW is given. And encrypt the PW.

:o
God Bless America
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 04:18 AM by war59312 »

wiredxd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 04:24 AM »
Well I would just hide the process from task manger. That would stop most kids. ;)

And PW protect it just in case.

So just ignore the normal kill commands. Only work if correct PW is given. And encrypt the PW.

:o

Using Xp's customise? it do hide while minimise but its still there if you expand, as for password protect it should solve it provided the option is included. Else it be like running another 2 programs to control another.

Thanks.