topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Gift-giving season cometh. What computer hardware/peripheral would you like?  (Read 24197 times)

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd like to have decent job (in IT - to not to be OT) ;)

Seriously: new GPU because I am dreaming about second LCD and my current one (GF7300GT) does not support such luxury.

2Lashiec
I'd like an external hard drive for backups. Yeah, that's all I want, I could make the case for more RAM or a new GPU, but I don't really need them right now.
At least I bought this.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
At least I bought this.
-fenixproductions (December 21, 2008, 02:43 PM)

That's a pretty sweet offer, although it seems Amazon UK does not deliver electronics outside the UK and Ireland. Besides, I was thinking into getting an OEM drive and an enclosure, it's a more flexible setup I think.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
2Lashiec

Besides, I was thinking into getting an OEM drive and an enclosure, it's a more flexible setup I think.

I thought the same at the beginning but after finding out this offer and comparing the prizes I've decided to go for My Book.

compeek

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
For me it's a Logitech MX Revolution. My friend has one and it looks really nice.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I wish for a new, perfect keyboard. I just can't find the right one. The new Microsoft X6 keyboard comes close to what I want but looks just wrong and doesn't feed quite right (I've fiddled with it in a store) http://www.microsoft...details.aspx?pid=102  Maybe I'll just have to wait until those OLED keyboards where each key is a screen becomes cheap enough.

I also want a simple foot pedal for the computer that can easily be used as a hotkey (modifier) in autohotkey scripts. Used in the right way it could provide ergonomic relief from being stuck in the one-hand-on-keyboard-one-hand-of-mouse position all the time.

majorspacecase

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd also like to replace my CPU (1.6GHz Celeron), just isn't happening right now.

On the brighter side got a $50 bonus from a local quilt shop I do graphic for. So I got a Logitech MX518 from Newegg and with the rest it's off to homedepot to pick some wood to make a custom Keyboard Tray.
Who Cares II

TomD101

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello all,

my wish to the whole family is a wireless barcode scanner. There is an outfit in the Netherlands that makes good cataloguing (?) software for your book, comic, music or DVD collection (I saved on the hyphens, didn't I?). To add a book to the collection, you only have to scan the barcode and the prog searches with amazon and a bunch of other websites for data, cover and so on.
Now here's the good part. They offer a wireless usb-connected handscanner to shoot up to a gadzillion barcodes right from the shelf, the return to the computer and load them all up to the software, which starts downloading the data connected with the barcode from amazon.
At looong last I will have a thorough inventory of my comic- and book-collection.
Here's the site to look it up:
www.collectorz.com

Have a nice holiday and a great New Year

Thomas from Berlin
The more things stay, the more they change the sane.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thomas, maybe an iphone or other mobile phone together some software could work as well as a standalone scanner?  Look here for an example of 1D barcode scanning on the iphone: http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=r5EY8b09sHw
So maybe you even have a device capable of doing what you wish for already!

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Maybe a USB-powered Time Machine so I can finish all these repair/build projects!! A retail copy of Windows home Server would do as well.
 :D :D

OEF
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.