topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: New folder containing a new txt file of same name made via context menu  (Read 8054 times)

AtlantaGuy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It would be convenient if the Win context menu had an option to create a new folder, the naming of which would automatically cause the creation of a text file of the same name in that folder.  Frosting on the cake would be to have the newly created text file automatically open using the system default app, or even better, with a user-specified text editor. 

I'm thinking of (what is for me) a fairly common situation where I download a file, say, WonderApp_v1.0.rar.  I prefer to make an appropriately named new folder, into which I can drag-and-drop the downloaded file (and any related files). But a second operation is then needed to create a text file within the folder (e.g. WonderApp_v1.0.txt).  A text file is, of course, handy for general notes and perhaps to record the password, if any, needed to unpack the downloaded file.

Does anything like this already exist?

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice idea I hope someone comes up with something :Thmbsup:
Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you download rars with password you will probably be very happy with Jdownloader. It can also store passwords and extract.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not the method you are looking for but I already have a utility that's pretty well debugged that may fit your scenario.  It's called TipOff

The idea is you download, then rename if you like, but whatever name the download has becomes the key when you add the comment.  Right click on the downloaded file and select Properties.  There's a Comment tab.  You can type or paste a short comment.  Then when you hover the mouse over a supported archive file, such as .rar, a Tooltip pops up showing the comment you entered.

The reason I wrote it is to comment downloads.  You can comment any file but only supported types show in the Tooltip.  But if you install TreePad there is built-in conversion to TreePad 3 file format of all the comments in a folder using a button on the same Comment Tab.  TreePad Lite works with it.  Both TreePad Lite and my app are free.

Since it works via 32 bit shell extensions it won't work in 64 bit OS unless you run a 32 bit explorer window while using it.  You can download
Half Shell from the Hotkeys page to make using it easier on Vista64.

When you comment files in a folder, a file is created in that folder named
CommentData.tof and since the data is local to the folder, you can copy entire folders, even to mapped networked drives and the TipOff will work as long as you have the shell extensions installed on the machine doing the reading.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:46 PM by MilesAhead »

robinsiebler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You could just use Total Commander: a) it let's you create descriptions for files and b) I wrote a PowerPro script that will unzip a file into a folder with the same name.
Happiness is laced with shards of pain