ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help needed to alter partitions

<< < (4/7) > >>

Carol Haynes:
For 40 MB of disk space I wouldn't touch it. It could be your bios setup program or some other booting program in a hidden partition.  If it was 40 GB that's another matter. :)

-MilesAhead (October 11, 2010, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed - actually NTFS volumes always have some unallocated space - you can't reclaim it so don't try!

40Mb seems slightly larger than usual but it is a tiny amount of space that can be left alon and may simply be a reflection of the fact that you have logical partitions instead of primary partitions.

Curt:
Can I simply move "Curt" (incl Documents, Music, etcetera) to another partition?
Will Vista automatically understand and remember this?
-Curt (December 02, 2008, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

No you can't because Curt cotains all the details of your user profile. You will be able to move a lot of it but it will leave you in a mess.

What you can (and should) do is to move all the user folders (Documents, Music etc.) to your second hard disk.

You can do this automatically by changing the location of the folder in folder properties - right click on the folder and use the options to move it.

.....-Carol Haynes (October 11, 2010, 03:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

-yes, I am aware of this, Carol, now. Sadly, my first attempt failed ( https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=18139.msg162467#msg162467 ) because I did it the wrong way.

-------
Regarding the new post from kyrathaba:
I too would leave the partition as it is. 40 MB is almost nothing to fight for.

4wd:
For 40 MB of disk space I wouldn't touch it. It could be your bios setup program or some other booting program in a hidden partition.  If it was 40 GB that's another matter. :)-MilesAhead (October 11, 2010, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dammit!  If I paid for that 40MB I'm going to make sure I use it  :D

Although, as Carol says, normally it would only be around 8MB.

I would have thought that if it was any kind of BIOS setup/Boot program then it would show up as either a known, unknown or hidden not Unallocated as it does.

Personally, I'd wipe out the Recovery partition and grab that space as well - but hey, I'm greedy :D

@kyrathaba: I would however, recommend you divide your HDD into a System and Data partition and store all your data, (My Docs, etc), on the Data partition.

Stoic Joker:
Dammit!  If I paid for that 40MB I'm going to make sure I use it  :D

Although, as Carol says, normally it would only be around 8MB.-4wd (October 11, 2010, 06:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Correct, however the only thing it is "required" for is the conversion to Dynamic Disk, which is fairly pointless on a workstation/desktop. I frequently use 3rd party software (like Paragon HDM) to recover said space because its wasted existence annoys me. On a side note the 40MB of space shown there is on the wrong end of the drive for a DD conversion.

I would have thought that if it was any kind of BIOS setup/Boot program then it would show up as either a known, unknown or hidden not Unallocated as it does.-4wd (October 11, 2010, 06:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

That assertion holds true in my experience as well.

f0dder:
Correct, however the only thing it is "required" for is the conversion to Dynamic Disk, which is fairly pointless on a workstation/desktop.-Stoic Joker (October 11, 2010, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
Unless you're going to run software raid-striping :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version