ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help needed to alter partitions

<< < (2/7) > >>

Curt:
Edited:
Or should I welcome this change, and start saving my files onto various partitions??
 :tellme:
-Curt (December 02, 2008, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I would suggest that you make a "small" (considering your full harddisk size) partition for only Vista + Programs, and keep all your data files, documents, music etc. etc. etc. on separate partitions. This makes it much easier to do a clean re-install without having to back up stuff and such. Iirc you're a software junkie, so you'd probably want to reserve 64 gigabytes or so for vista+programs - do your own measurement of how much you need :)
-f0dder (December 02, 2008, 07:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Can I simply move "Curt" (incl Documents, Music, etcetera) to another partition?
Will Vista automatically understand and remember this?

f0dder:
Can I simply move "Curt" (incl Documents, Music, etcetera) to another partition?
Will Vista automatically understand and remember this?-Curt (December 02, 2008, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good question! - I'm not sure exactly what data Vista stores under that folder (I should have a look at my laptop and see). I'm not sure whether you can simply move the folder either, or whether Vista perhaps has some tool to do the move for you (like you could do with "My Documents" on 2k and xp), but it's definitely possible to move the folder, either with NTFS junctions or (Vista-only) NTFS Symbolic links. That might take a bit of manual work though :)

Have to take a nap now, hopefully some of the other bright heads here have some ideas.

Curt:
Thanks, f0dder, and sleep tight   for a little while :-)

hpearce:
Just remember that there are two types of folders here ... system ones like MY MUSIC, DOCUMENTS, etc. and folders u created.
U can move folders as you wish (more or less) but pointers from other programs or the OS itself , in the case of system folders, have to be modified.
There are programs to tell the system where the system folders are located. Your programs will have to reviewed usually under OPTIONS/PREFENCES to make sure they point to the new locations.

Remeber ... we are talking data folders here not program file folders... I strongly recommend keeping program file folders in place because of the registry entries.

See this for free partition managers http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-partition-manager.htm

Curt:
Thanks, hpearce. The new "free" 310 GB partition is actually marked as "data", and the 157 GB partition is marked as "system". But I don't know if this labelling came from Vista, or when it came, and I don't know what to do with the information. I have looked my way arouned inside Vista, but have not yet found a way to tell it to move the entire \Curt\ incl My Documents, My music, etcetera, to another partition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version