ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (188/300) > >>

MerleOne:
America's Got Talent - Lilia Stepanova
-bit (February 01, 2015, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quite impressive !  I am just wondering why she is not using real arrow tips ?
-MerleOne (February 01, 2015, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because accidents can happen? I'm sure it was the show management that insisted. :)
-40hz (February 01, 2015, 10:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was my thought.  You can demonstrate skill while removing risk... and it doesn't reduce the amount of skill required.
-wraith808 (February 01, 2015, 10:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
True enough but in this kind of TV show, they take some risks, I have seen knifes throwers, people who ingest light bulbs etc.  Anyway, that's not what matters, she is truly remarkable.  Thanks for posting this.

superboyac:

Not sure if this has been posted.

I love this video.  I generally scoff at these star studded tribute lineups.  but this one turned out pretty perfect.  Tom Petty's no nonsense leadership, jeff Lynne's shockingly beautiful vocals, Winwood being very tasty as usual, and the perfect Prince setup where he comes out of the shadows.  Supposedly, harrison's son specifically asked for Prince...and he claims to have heard the song for the first time that day (hard to believe, but he DOES live in a bubble).  Look at Dhani Harrison's face when Prince comes in, he is ecstatic.  And whoever the tamborine guy is, he is making every second of that count (i would, too!).  I LOVE how Petty gives Prince "permission" to go off on the extended solo, lol.

This video also keeps reminding me how brilliant Prince is when it comes to rock guitar gods.  This comment on the youtube is perfect:
This shows why Prince could never be a part of a band. He doesn't ruin it, but he does take over a but. he's almost too talented for anyone to really embrace him. People like their guitarists to hang back a bit. Brilliant though. Even if he's never mentioned among the best, he really is and we all know it. 
--- End quote ---

40hz:
@SB - Agree 100% with you on your assessment of superstar lineups and the quality of this number being an exception to the normally disappointing results most of those get-togethers produce. I don't really think Prince took over the performance as the person quoted suggests. Prince was tapped for the "show solo" and did what is expected when that role is handed to you. No more. No less. I found his performance nicely played and respectful to both the song and the rest of the ensemble. I'm not much of a Prince fan...but credit where credit is due. :Thmbsup:

The following is from another mega-rockstar tribute lineup that played for The Concert for George back in 2002. Pretty much anybody who was anybody in that genre (and still alive) was there onstage that night.

Here is Samantha (Sam) Brown performing Horse to Water. She reminds me a little of a beagle we used to own. We could never figure out how such a small body could pack so much raw vocal power.

Really nice sax work, piano playing, and some superb backup vocals on this one.

Sam's father (musician Joe Brown) closed the concert with I'll See You in My Dreams which is also worth a watch:

Just goes to show that even a corny old love song like this one (written in 1924!) can still charm the heart and ear if done well.  :Thmbsup:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
*Note: there is an unspoken but very real thing called "gig etiquette" that governs how (most) professionals conduct themselves when performing as a guest - or hosting non-band members - at performances such as these. The exact details of 'the rules' varies by genre of music (i.e. blues, rock, jazz) and venue (i.e. stage vs studio). Suffice to say, Prince's performance and stage manner was in perfect keeping with rock stage etiquette. But being the perfectionist in all things Prince supposedly is, I'm hardly surprised.
8)

Target:
And whoever the tamborine guy is, he is making every second of that count (i would, too!)
-superboyac (February 03, 2015, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty sure that's Ray Cooper, and he's quite a bit more than a tambourine man :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
@SB - Agree 100% with you on your assessment of superstar lineups and the quality of this number being an exception to the normally disappointing results most of those get-togethers produce. I don't really think Prince took over the performance as the person quoted suggests. Prince was tapped for the "show solo" and did what is expected when that role is handed to you. No more. No less. I found his performance nicely played and respectful to both the song and the rest of the ensemble. I'm not much of a Prince fan...but credit where credit is due. :Thmbsup:
-40hz (February 03, 2015, 08:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly.  Harrison did ask for Prince.  And Prince asked him how he wanted him to play it.  And Dhani said the perfect tribute would be if you just do what you normally do- over the top and everything.  And he did.

Another interesting anecdote... he didn't practice the solo with the band.  He came in, they had a talk about it, and the length, and from there, they improvised it.

A lot of people don't realize what a talented musician Prince is in general, and on the guitar for this specific instance.  His ... uniqueness sometimes outshines his genius.  I think this showed a glimpse of that genius.

*Note: there is an unspoken but very real thing called "gig etiquette" that governs how (most) professionals conduct themselves when performing as a guest - or hosting non-band members - at performances such as these. The exact details vary by genre of music (i.e. blues, rock, jazz) and venue (i.e. stage vs studio). Suffice to say, Prince's performance and stage manner was in perfect keeping with rock etiquette. But being the perfectionist in all things Prince supposedly is, I'm hardly surprised.

-40hz (February 03, 2015, 08:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

This.  So much this.  He's such a perfectionist that he played nearly all the instruments on his first five recordings. (ref bio on Rolling Stone)

He might be strange and eccentric (and I definitely don't agree with his draconian attitude towards his music with fans)... but he's good enough to pull it off.

Also @40 I never caught until you were talking about etiquette he keeps looking over to Tom Petty who keeps telling him to go.

... and that fall off the stage!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version