ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (157/300) > >>

Edvard:
Clara Rockmore was the virtuoso of the theremin back in the day:

She would do stuff like play a note quiet enough for only her to hear on the stage, just to get the pitch right, before swelling it to stage volume.  Her phrasing and smoothness of fade-ins and fade-outs are just amazing.  If you've ever attempted to play a theremin, you'll know that !@#$ is hard...

Now a new Clara has come to claim the antenna:

A bit too trip-hop/space-pop (damn these mongrel genres...) for me, but she obviously knows what she's doing.

40hz:
A bit too trip-hop/space-pop (damn these mongrel genres...) for me, but she obviously knows what she's doing.
-Edvard (August 14, 2014, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Feel the same about it myself. Even with the current crop of players such as performer and co-founder of the New York Theremin Society, Dorit Chrysler. She has a number of videos up on Youtube. Here's her with Jon Coulton doing a weird intro to the Portal game song Still Alive. (It seems like she's not too happy with her performance on this one.) Sara Quin delivers an absolutely uninspired vocal on this one too:

Edvard:
-Edvard (August 14, 2014, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
Feel the same about it myself.
-40hz (August 14, 2014, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
That said, I DO like Clara's voice, it's got a certain soul that cuts through the background.  I'd like to see her with a few other members, at least keyboard and maybe something else eclectic, like a turntablist to keep those drum loops live.  
I don't envy those who have chosen Theremin as their vocation, it's really easy to make god-awful noise, and takes more than it's fair share of skill to make music.

Sara Quin delivers an absolutely uninspired vocal on this one too:
--- End quote ---
Weeeelllll, I can't quite say it's uninspired, but definitely in that deadpan style that seems to be all the rage lately...
*cough* Owl City *cough*   :-\

Dirhael:
I quite like this one, both the song and the video :)

After that mind trip, this lovely little song by Aurora Aksnes is a good listen.

Also, Jenny Lewis!

40hz:
Really liked that number by Aurora Aksnes.  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version