topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend some music videos to me!  (Read 1043520 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend some music videos to me!
« Reply #700 on: April 10, 2014, 01:51 PM »
French band Nouvelle Vague do great covers of 80's music. I like them a lot, I loved a lot of the originals first time round but the covers are so very different (usually a breath of fresh air, and sometimes I prefer the new version).

Here's a cover of a song I didnt know: Eisbär from the Swiss neue deutsche welle group Grauzone (1980).
Wonderfully clicheed sixties-Bond/French style video

Lyrics are basically:
I want to be a polar bear,
then I wont have to cry [cry out] any more,
Polar bears never have to cry [tears]

Original here

In a very different style, I like this cover from Oomph too:

Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #701 on: April 10, 2014, 04:04 PM »
I like how the word for polar bears sounds like (and probably is) "icebear" :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #702 on: April 10, 2014, 10:02 PM »
@tomos - re: Nouvelle Vague.  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #703 on: April 14, 2014, 03:09 PM »

Do you already know the Salut Salon?

"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #704 on: April 14, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Salut Salon : really great !  Thanks for the find.
.merle1.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #705 on: April 15, 2014, 07:00 AM »
This guy takes bad-meme songs and makes them disturbingly listenable!

This guy can make you fall in love with stuff you thought you hated, and leave you breathless with stuff you already loved.  :-*

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #706 on: April 15, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Do you already know the Salut Salon?

Awesome! And nice LBDs too! ;D :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #707 on: April 15, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Just a throwaway song. But it's an excuse to watch Felicia Day (and the rest of The Guild cast) - so what-the-heck. ;D

:D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #708 on: April 19, 2014, 07:07 AM »
Can't believe I missed this gem when it first came out.

This is the Zurich Chamber Orchestra's ad for their live streaming performances at the 2011 Davos Festival. Brilliant! :Thmbsup:

8)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #709 on: April 19, 2014, 11:27 AM »
^
Brilliant! :Thmbsup

Yes! :up:
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #710 on: April 20, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Taylor Davis (you might remember her from the earlier video of the Angry Bird Theme performed by the band Critical Hit) here performing the song An End, Once and for All from the videogame Mass Effect 3

An interesting and talented young violinist. And also a composer. This is Nebulous, one of her originals.

:Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #711 on: April 28, 2014, 10:27 PM »
Phildel. A vocalist who is growing on me lately. Minimalist backing tracks blended with ethereal vocals and maybe just a hint of the styles of Philip Glass, Julie Cruise and Kate Bush somewhere in there?

Don't know quite what it is...but I like it!

This is The Disappearance of the Girl from her album of the same name.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #712 on: May 01, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Dont think I've posted anything by Lissie before (a search didnt come up with anything). I like her music a lot, so here goes -
she does a lot of covers - this one "Go your own way" from Fleetwood Mac, guitar inspired by U2, nice combination:

here's a good original "They all want you"

and maybe my favourite - another great cover ("Pursuit of Happiness" by Kid Cudi - text NSFW I guess)

(and respect for knowing how to drink *a* shot from a bottle of tequila)

and in case that aint enough:
https://www.youtube..../watch?v=hUmw2iYgFbs
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #713 on: May 02, 2014, 03:36 PM »
This video is fairly amusing. And at the end it becomes pretty hilarious in multiple ways.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #714 on: May 09, 2014, 10:11 AM »
I'm just after buying a live album by this guy.

Paolo Nutini - Coming Up Easy - Montreux

he's especially good live imo - very passionate singer, great voice.
I love the music he writes/play - lots of older influences but still new.
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #715 on: May 09, 2014, 02:39 PM »
@tomos - Nice! Some older influences to be sure. And all the better for it I think. Refreshingly honest and real performance for a change. (No twerking dancers or other distractions either!)  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #716 on: May 09, 2014, 03:14 PM »
@tomos - Nice! Some older influences to be sure. And all the better for it I think. Refreshingly honest and real performance for a change. (No twerking dancers or other distractions either!)  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Yeah, the only distraction was the big screen slide-show. That was there because it was a tribute concert (to the guy who was the founder of the Montreux Jazz Festival; I used always think that was somewhere in French speaking Canada - seems it's in French speaking Switzerland :-[)

I think it might be Superboyac's cup of tea as well. Looking forward to getting my live CD anyways :)
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #717 on: May 09, 2014, 03:40 PM »

Yeah, the only distraction was the big screen slide-show. That was there because it was a tribute concert (to the guy who was the founder of the Montreux Jazz Festival; I used always think that was somewhere in French speaking Canada - seems it's in French speaking Switzerland :-[)

I think it might be Superboyac's cup of tea as well.
Looking forward to getting my live CD anyways :)
It totally is!  As soon as I heard the groove and the organ...I'm like, oh yea!  The guy is fantastic, I'm buying this live album for sure.  I'm actually in the middle of arranging a song with pretty much the same instrumentation and style.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #718 on: May 09, 2014, 04:08 PM »
The guy is fantastic, I'm buying this live album for sure.

tbh I just 'discovered' him - I dont know do any of his albums have quite that sound. The live one I ordered is a different concert - that vid above was a one-off track with that band. He does seem to use a brass section a lot, but often play just himself + acoustic guitar. Check out his stuff on www.amazon.co.uk - they have previews for some (but not all) of his albums. (They only available as imports in the US.)
Tom

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #719 on: May 10, 2014, 07:04 AM »

I bet everyone may like this music:

"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #720 on: May 28, 2014, 01:08 PM »
Here's one for fans of the more unusual musical instruments - a virtuoso solo performance on fretless piccolo bass by Jeff Schmidt.

Most things like this have a tendency to be studies in self-indulgence rather than genuine musical performances. This bass solo is one of those rare instances where soloing on the bass is musically valid. It doesn't get much rarer that that AFAIC.  ;) Check it out! :Thmbsup:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #721 on: May 28, 2014, 06:58 PM »
He had my immediate attention when I saw that his bass was strung upside-down, even though he has a left-handed bass.  That tells me he must have learned on a righty before he new better, which also tells me he wanted to play bad enough that he'd rather learn that way than have to wait for proper gear.  Sometimes there's magic in that.  8)

I knew a guy who learned how to play drums by mimicking his favorite drummers on MTV (back when they still played music videos 24/7  :-\ ).  It was years before he figured out he had the snare drum on the "wrong" side.  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #722 on: May 28, 2014, 09:35 PM »
He had my immediate attention when I saw that his bass was strung upside-down, even though he has a left-handed bass.

Huh! :huh: It is weird that his Pedulla bass is a lefty - but the P-Bass style split pickup on it is installed like it would be on a right-handed model with the top half (for the low strings) towards the neck. So that makes me think this isn't a standard lefty bass (see below) he strung backwards - it's actually a custom build. Most interesting...

pdb.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!     pups.pngRecommend some music videos to me!

I wonder if he started out using TAB notation and just got used to having the strings run that way.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:55 AM by 40hz »

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #723 on: May 29, 2014, 06:20 AM »
I never would have noticed it. When I was playing a P-Bass it was a backwards strung righty. And let me tell you it's a bitch to play that way! It's also a pain to re-learn how to play when you can suddenly position your left hand correctly instead of dodging the pots. :)

Actually even the way he holds his bass makes me think of a lefty playing a regular bass. See how he arches his wrist over the edge of the body? That's just where the knobs would be on a right handed bass. I tried playing that way but, due to my short fingers, I couldn't stop turning the volume up and down by accident.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #724 on: May 29, 2014, 08:14 AM »
*Agree. It's an unusual playing technique he has. All the classic and correct positioning - but with those reversed strings...

But he is a brilliant player. He demonstrates about 5 different "right-hand" (i.e. plucking hand) techniques during that solo, Great command of harmonics too - although they are easier to get to chime clearly on a piccolo bass. At least they were the few times I got to play one.

However, when it comes to the absolute master of harmonics, that title has to go to jazz guitarist Jody Fisher. That gent can do 16th note chromatic harmonic runs. Anybody that ever played (or tried to play) "false" or "artificial" harmonics knows how hit and miss it can sometimes be. Jody doesn't seem to have any problems on that score. He just does those glissando-y sweeps like he's playing a harp. And he does it so naturally that half the time people don't realize it's harmonics they're hearing rather than fretted notes.

Jody is also a phenomenal instructor. He was a mainstay at the now sadly defunct National Guitar Workshop. I was fortunate to get the chance to sit in on some of his clinics and classes when he was in CT at the workshop.

Here's some examples of what you could expect when Jody was showing you how something worked:

BTW, Jody's guitar is a (Steve) Klein in case anybody's wondering "What in the name of all that's holy is he playing???" (Most guitarists do btw.  ;D)

klein2anatomy.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!

Awesome! :tellme:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:32 AM by 40hz »