topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend some music videos to me!  (Read 1043484 times)

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend some music videos to me!
« Reply #675 on: January 24, 2014, 03:35 AM »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #676 on: February 01, 2014, 11:41 AM »
After the Japanese middle school girls singing crushing metal, I had to swing the other direction for a bit.
Ah, CandyRat records, you never fail me...  :D

I am not normally a "pianer-lissenin'" type of guy, but this is pretty darn cool.  Very Vince Guaraldi vibe to it, which I like very much.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #677 on: February 01, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Not quite sure what to make of this one. (FWIW my blues guitarist GF said "They might be on to something when it comes to singers.")

:tellme:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #678 on: February 01, 2014, 04:33 PM »
@40hz:
Spoiler
So your blues guitar GF likes singers with inflatable breasts?

Sounds like too much of a "niche" to me...  :eusa_naughty:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #679 on: February 01, 2014, 04:39 PM »
@40hz which brought me here - completely off-topic and I guess NSFW
(still Smack the Pony though)

Spoiler

Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #680 on: February 01, 2014, 05:21 PM »
@40hz:

No...it was more like an observation that most of the good female singers she knows tend to look somewhat...um...endowed?

Something to do with the lung capacity beneath... Why? Did you think she meant something else by it? :P  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #681 on: February 01, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Here's an interesting bit of news. Not so much a music video although definitely music related.

From Reason comes this story:

(Note: if you can sit, without gagging, through the blatant hypocrisy, self-righteousness arrogance, and pompous tone of the government spokesperson's comments in this video, you're doing better than me.)

Gibson Commemorates Fed Raid with Government Series II Les Paul

Meredith Bragg & Anthony L. Fisher|Feb. 1, 2014 11:00 am

Two years after Gibson factories in Tennessee were raided by government agents, the venerable guitar manufacturer has released a special Government Series II Les Paul. As the press release explains:

Great Gibson electric guitars have long been a means of fighting the establishment, so when the powers that be confiscated stocks of tonewoods from the Gibson factory in Nashville—only to return them once there was a resolution and the investigation ended—it was an event worth celebrating. Introducing the Government Series II Les Paul, a striking new guitar from Gibson USA for 2014 that suitably marks this infamous time in Gibson’s history.

...Each Government Series II Les Paul also includes a genuine piece of Gibson USA history in its solid rosewood fingerboard, which is made from wood returned to Gibson by the US government after the resolution.

Reason TV reported on the Gibson case back in 2012. Original text from February 23, 2012 video is below.

"They...come in with weapons, they seized a half-million dollars worth of property, they shut our factory down, and they have not charged us with anything," says Gibson Guitars CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, referring to the August 2011 raid on his Nashville and Memphis factories by agents from the Departments of Homeland Security and Fish & Wildlife.

The feds raided Gibson for using an inappropriate tariff code on wood from India, which is a violation of the anti-trafficking statute known as The Lacey Act. At issue is not whether the wood in question was endangered, but whether the wood was the correct level of thickness and finish before being exported from India. "India is wanting to ensure that raw wood is not exported without some labor content from India," says Juskiewicz.

Andrea Johnson of the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) counters that "it's not up to Gibson to decide which laws...they want to respect." She points out that Gibson had previously been raided under The Lacey Act for imports from Madagascar.

This much is clear: The government has yet to file any charges or allow Gibson a day in court to makes its case, much less retrieve its materials. "This is not about responsible forestry and sustainable wood or illegal logging, this is about a bureaucratic law," argues Juszkiewicz, who testified last year before a congressional hearing convened by Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.). It is, he says, "a blank check for abuse."

And it was a raid by Homeland Security and the Dept. of Fish & Wildlife??? Over a pile of cut wood?  Unreal.

"Sleep tight tonite boys and girls." One more example of your tax dollars at work!  -\
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:39 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #682 on: February 13, 2014, 08:10 PM »
Interesting kickstarter by none other than avant-guitarist Kaki King for an update to the psychedelic "light show" of the 60s - which in turn was a modern riff on the "color organ" concept which dates back to at least the early 1700s.

I don't know what to think about this one. Is it art - or more a gimmick? I'm leaning towards "less art - more gimmick" at this point. But who am I to say?

Check it out:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:49 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #683 on: February 14, 2014, 07:44 PM »
The place was Fairfield University's Quick Center for the Arts. I was one of those fortunate enough to have been there when Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, along with some guest artists from all over the world, put on one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen.

Here's A Moment So Close:

The audio and video quality of this rip aren't that great. See it on an original DVD to get the full effect.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #684 on: February 26, 2014, 02:13 AM »
I am proud to be acquainted with the lovely Sarah West ♥

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #685 on: February 27, 2014, 05:36 PM »
@ Curt - Lovely woman, both sonically and visually. I generally don't care too much for Emo, but she's certainly talented. (FWIW I liked her song Like the Sunrise too.) Wish her success for me! :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #686 on: February 27, 2014, 05:50 PM »
After the Japanese middle school girls singing crushing metal, I had to swing the other direction for a bit.
Ah, CandyRat records, you never fail me...  :D

I am not normally a "pianer-lissenin'" type of guy, but this is pretty darn cool.  Very Vince Guaraldi vibe to it, which I like very much.

@Edvard - good catch. Pleasant listening. And you're right - it does have a Vince Guraldi (or possibly classic prog-rock) vibe to it. Some interesting harmonic and chord changes in there.

jazcat.jpg

Makes me want to haul out the upright and play along. :) :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #687 on: March 07, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Music and dance

Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #688 on: March 08, 2014, 02:19 PM »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #689 on: March 10, 2014, 05:24 PM »
^That was a very creditable performance on the part of Mr. Downey IMHO.  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #690 on: March 15, 2014, 04:54 PM »
I dont think this was posted before:

The Heavy - How You Like Me Now? (Live on KEXP)
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #691 on: March 15, 2014, 05:21 PM »
My little hobby is taking sound editors and doing quick and dirty edits of some songs that I half-like. Right down the middle is the ballad verses of "What does the fox say?".

Y'all can have my mix if ya want it. :)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:41 PM by TaoPhoenix »

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #692 on: March 15, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Just stumbled across this the other day. A Japanese company apparently approached John Entwhistle after The Who toured in 1989 about putting a band together so they could broadcast a performance for their new satellite TV service. He brought along Simon Phillips (drummer for the '89 Who tour), along with Keith Emerson, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Joe Walsh, and did a mini tour of Japan under the name The Best.

Normally I find super groups like this pretty underwhelming but I think they lived up to the name.

I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #693 on: March 16, 2014, 07:48 AM »
Let's go abuse MilesAhead's BBSS! (P.S. Miles it's misbehaving on Youtube for me! I'm missing a couple of the urls and some other bugs.)\)

This guy takes bad-meme songs and makes them disturbingly listenable!

Dr. Who Meets Metal
Back to the Future Meets Metal
Indiana Jones Meets Metal
Terminator Meets Metal
Jurassic Park Meets Metal
Mortal Kombat Meets Metal
Star Wars Meets Metal
Moonlight Sonata (1st Movement) Meets Metal
The Fox by Ylvis Meets Metal
Gangnam Style Meets Metal
Numa Numa (Dragostea din Tei) Meets Metal
Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley Meets Metal
Chocolate Rain By Tay Zonday Meets Metal
Tetris Meets Metal
Pokemon Meets Metal
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=ucDQlnvU5FM
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=78eV0vIww2I
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=AjCmgf8SxBA
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=3c55P4gan8w
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=9jB3z0bz7kY
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=9kEu3J7iLEc
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=zvep1WaUmOM
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=1eEwh0RoazM
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=qLH6PidZ-7I
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=ntu-poC2FOI
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=ZM-5tbZJa9c
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=lGkyL_MF-lw

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:57 AM by TaoPhoenix »

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #694 on: March 27, 2014, 04:23 AM »
Gabrielle Aplin - The Power of Love:
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=zNpeK7sDLzE

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #695 on: March 28, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Exploring the nether regions of some genres outside my taste buds, I stumbled across this:

My immediate thought was 'Calvinball!'
 ;D :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #696 on: March 30, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Just finished watching the docu-bio flick Twenty Feet from Stardom (highly recommended btw) which examines the crucial but often under-credited role of the backup singer.

In the course of the movie, they played this segment from the 1995 tour by the Rolling Stones which included the incomparable Lisa Fischer in an eye opening performance of Gimme Shelter. Lisa kicks into high gear around the 2:25 mark and shows The Stones what fronting a rock vocal is supposed to be about:

Thanks Mick! Why don't you take the rest of the night off and leave Lisa and the boys to handle the rest of the show. :P
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:59 AM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #697 on: March 30, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Just finished watching the docu-bio flick Twenty Feet from Startdom (highly recommended btw) which examines the crucial but often under-credited role of the backup singer.

In the course of the movie, they played this segment from the 1995 tour by the Rolling Stones which included the incomparable Lisa Fischer in an eye opening performance of Gimme Shelter. Lisa kicks into high gear around the 2:25 mark and shows The Stones what fronting a rock vocal is supposed to be about:

Thanks Mick! Why don't you take the rest of the night off and leave Lisa and the boys to handle the rest of the show. :P
:Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :-* :-* :onfire: :tease:

That will get it done!!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #698 on: March 31, 2014, 06:07 AM »
That will get it done!!

Sure does! :o

I think it's a riot how she mirrors Mick's stage moves - and then does them 10X better. Talk about getting pwned! ;D ;D ;D

Definitely check out 20 Feet from Stardom.  These ladies have talent, brains, and above all, class. Their interviews and comments speak volumes about the music industry - and those people that make it work despite their contributions remaining mostly unacknowledged. I expected there to be some bitterness in places. But there wasn't any. Just a lot of laughter, philosophical perspective, and the occasional moments of sadness about the break that never seemed to come despite promises made.

It's on NetFlix. Watch it. :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #699 on: March 31, 2014, 10:44 AM »
That will get it done!!

Sure does! :o

I think it's a riot how she mirrors Mick's stage moves - and then does them 10X better. Talk about getting pwned! ;D ;D ;D

Definitely check out 20 Feet from Stardom.  These ladies have talent, brains, and above all, class. Their interviews and comments speak volumes about the music industry - and those people that make it work despite their contributions remaining mostly unacknowledged. I expected there to be some bitterness in places. But there wasn't any. Just a lot of laughter, philosophical perspective, and the occasional moments of sadness about the break that never seemed to come despite promises made.

It's on NetFlix. Watch it. :Thmbsup:
I'll definitely check it out.  I've already watched this clip 4 times. I'm wearing out the grooves.