ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (75/300) > >>

tomos:
^ that was great Edvard :up:

I've always been a big fan of Eastern Bloc Metal, but... accordians!  :Thmbsup
-Edvard (February 16, 2012, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

have you heard Russen Disko? More brass than accordions - but I think there's a few of them too. I think there's a film (German language) but I havent seen/heard anything about it (first was a book, then a mix album, then the film - ah, I see it's not been released yet).

40hz:
@tomos - We've apparently come a long way from the days when it was only Boris Grebenshchikov you'd hear about from Russia. :)

I've always been a big fan of Eastern Bloc Metal, but... accordians!  :Thmbsup
-Edvard (February 16, 2012, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow, an accordion that looks like the front of a 1953 Cadillac, a balalaika, a set of Ludwig drums, and a Fender Jaguar bass...doing a Bon Jovi piece in Russian (mostly) in the Ukraine on TV!

Anybody have any doubts it's a small world?

And it gets even crazier. This is Abigale Washburn, a traditional and roots player (along with her own stuff) who is popular over in China.

NPR has her in for one of their Tiny Desk Concerts. (Note: I really like the Tiny Desk series because it pares everything down to the basics. Much like a private "living-room concert," Tiny Desk is just the band or performer setting up and playing in NPR's offices to a small audience of people who really know music. There's no lights, or exotic sound tech, or stage sets - so there's absolutely no place to hide. It's musical performance stripped down to its absolute essence. If you really want to see what a musician or group is made of, just have them perform in a similar setting, and you'll soon discover who really 'has it' - and who just gets away with it.)

From the NPR website:

Abigail Washburn's music career, now 10 years old, had an unlikely start. Washburn had plans to study law at Beijing University in China. She'd also recently bought a banjo — she wanted to take something to China that was American — and she'd fallen in love with the music of the legendary Doc Watson, in particular his banjo playing in the classic folk tune "Shady Grove."

So Washburn decided to embark on a road trip to study the banjo, and to learn tunes. She found her way to the Augusta Heritage Center in West Virginia, then to North Carolina and then Kentucky to the International Bluegrass Association. It was there that she sat down with a few women to play music, and right then and there was offered a record deal.

So her plans changed and she canceled her journey to China. Still, even though Washburn began a music career instead, the country remains in her heart. Her career has since taken her to China, and she now mixes American bluegrass and folk with Chinese folk music.
--- End quote ---

You can watch it and find out more about her here. (Sorry. NPR doesn't allow you to embed video like YouTube does.) There's also a bunch of videos of varying quality of her up on YouTube.

This isn't the sort of music I usually listen too. But I must admit her music has grown on me with repeated listening. It's got a certain simplicity and purity of sound that masks the sophistication of the music and the group that performs it. It's a subtle thing they do. And they pull it off brilliantly.

Breath of fresh air AFAIC. And just the thing to clear the head after a busy day. :Thmbsup:

40hz:
Well look who's back! Van Halen.

They're a bit older, and heavier, shorter-haired, and slower - with a new recording which sounds considerably more refined and somewhat self-conscious than their earlier manic and borderline out-of-control trademark sound.

Maybe it's a function of age or increased maturity? (Both of which don't slot too well with the entire premise behind Metal.) Either way, it's an enjoyable enough song on it's own. These guys can still sing and play - although I kept hoping they would step up the tempo just a tad since the song seemed to drag slightly in a few places. The drumming, always the weakest link in the VH line-up (and further argument against hiring family members) is certainly much better than it used to be. On second thought - scratch that remark. Eddie's son Wolfgang is far better on bass than Michael Anthony ever was.

About the only real problem I had with the video was some of the choreography. Which is to say it's all very obviously mapped out down to the last move. And David Lee Roth also needs to cut down on the dance antics a bit. What might be amusing and cool for a 20-something to do up on stage in a live rock concert only looks silly to the point of embarrassing when performed by a man of 58 in a carefully edited 'artsy' music video...

But then again, David Lee Roth wouldn't be David Lee Roth if he acted any other way would he?

And it's good to see Eddie up and about with guitar in hand following his bouts with chronic avascular necrosis and cancer.

Welcome back guys! Please don't blow again it this time. ;)
 ;D

40hz:
^Wow. Didn't take long for that video link to get taken down! :-\

Target:
Well look who's back! Van Halen.-40hz (February 19, 2012, 08:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

nice song, Diamond Dave sounds like he always did, but he looks like one of the beach boys :o

maybe it's just me, but somehow that just seems wrong

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version