ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (64/300) > >>

40hz:
OK...I'm surprised I've never mentioned this artist before considering what a big fan I am...

May I introduce Ms. Happy Rhodes, guitarist, songwriter, and singer with an almost freakishly huge (and documented) vocal range which runs from A2 through G6#. Translated into English, that's four octaves, or half the keys on a grand piano.

Her styles are varied, and have had people compare her to such diverse performers as Kate Bush, Annie Lennox, and David Bowie. And her lowest registers are so deep (for a female) that some people have openly questioned her real gender. (She was born and remains a biological female in case anybody's wondering.)

The following are a few (of several) videos up on Youtube that show some of her amazing stylistic and vocal range.

The Chosen One

Temporary And Eternal

And her now famous version of David Bowie's Ashes to Ashes Space Oddity.
(And yes, that's really her unaltered voice throughout.)

She deserves much greater recognition than she's been given.

Note: There's also full footage (1.5 hours) of one of her Tin Angel concerts that can be found here.

8) :Thmbsup:

40hz:
And just to switch gears, a song I find myself liking more and more as time goes on. Moreland & Arbuckle's Purgatory.

Not sure how effective the video itself is. (Missing some 'hotness' if you know what I mean?) But I think the song is spot on. Some gritty 'bad attitude' music for a rainy afternoon.

:)

tomos:
Temporary And Eternal [Happy Rhodes]
[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XVVkbUwprc[/youtube]-40hz (January 05, 2012, 09:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

enjoyed that especially - there's a link to a better quality version of the same video here. It is kind of shocking when she starts singing deep after all that high singing!

oh yeah, FWIW, the Bowie cover is Space Oddity

40hz:
It is kind of shocking when she starts singing deep after all that high singing!
-tomos (January 06, 2012, 03:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. Until you see her do it live in concert there's times when you'd swear she had someone up there singing with her. And when she starts flipping back and forth with different styles in different ranges in the same song it can almost sound like a duet. Very spooky!

The thing I admire is how easily she could turn it all into a gimmick - but never does. Everything she does is in keeping with the music. Probably one of the reasons why she hasn't cracked the commercial mainstream.

Pleasant person too. Great sense of humor and a sweet disposition. Treats her audience well - and puts on a good show. As a result, she has one of the most loyal group of fans you'll find anywhere. And deservedly so IMO.

--- End quote ---

Oops...and I knew that too. :-[
Thx for pointing it out. Now corrected in original post. :)

Oh BTW - she's done a cover of Ashes to Ashes too. Listen to it (sorry-no video) here. :)

tomos:
--- End quote ---
Oops...and I knew that too. :-[-40hz (January 06, 2012, 05:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
I know, I'd make a good editor - of other peoples posts :-[

Oh BTW - she's done a cover of Ashes to Ashes too. Listen to it (sorry-no video) here. :)
-40hz (January 06, 2012, 05:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Have to post a Bowie version now!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version