topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend some music videos to me!  (Read 1041376 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend some music videos to me!
« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2011, 04:32 PM »
that's she's good looking & only got one button on her shirt probably didnt put you off either though, I'm sure :-)
:up: yeah baby.  She can sing, she has that curly hair that I love...mmmmmm.  if she dyes that curly hair red, I'm done.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2011, 04:45 PM »
that's she's good looking & only got one button on her shirt probably didnt put you off either though, I'm sure :-)
:up: yeah baby.  She can sing, she has that curly hair that I love...mmmmmm.  if she dyes that curly hair red, I'm done.

Sorry Man! You're doomed then...

She does red  :-*

fd03.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!     df04.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!

and honey/strawb blond... :tellme:

Maybe NSFW
Dana+Fuchs+42.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!

8)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:47 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2011, 04:50 PM »
ok...I'm done!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Take comfort. There are far worse ways to go.  :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Ah!  I just remembered who she reminds me of: Rebecca Gayheart.  I used to have the biggest thing for her when I was a teenager.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #205 on: March 25, 2011, 06:45 AM »
I keeping with my current theme of late 60s early 70s blues/rock female vocalists, lets not forget Linda Ronstadt - that tiny little lady with that great big voice.

Later in her career she branched into musical theater and the so-called Great American Songbook. But prior to that, she owned any rock stage she walked out on.

LR01.jpg

Here's Linda Ronstadt, at the top of her game, performing the Eagles tune Desperado. This video is from her legendary 1977 appearance in Atlanta GA during her Simple Dreams tour. Many Ronstadt fans consider this to be her definitive concert. Even with the limitations of the era's recording technology, the power of this woman's voice comes through loud and clear.

Listen to it here.

If it meets with your approval, also check out Blue Bayou and her take on the Rolling Stones song Tumblin' Dice with a segue into You're No Good.

LR02.jpg

Just goes to prove big sound can come in small packages. :) :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:12 PM by 40hz, Reason: Fixed typos »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #206 on: March 25, 2011, 06:50 AM »
It's friday.

(Rebecca Black, Friday -- this song is making the rounds for being ridiculously bad but i honestly like the pureness of it)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 07:09 PM by mouser »

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #207 on: March 25, 2011, 07:07 AM »
I'm trying to have respect for the girl mousey, but other than TGIF I see zero appeal about that clip. The post-production that warps her voice grates my ears, the lyrics are horribly repetitive and the visuals itself are pretty plain.. so the only thing I can really respect her for is that she's not bouncing around like a girl who got lost on her way to the pool.

Now this is some epic music: clickety.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 07:16 AM by worstje »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #208 on: March 25, 2011, 08:00 AM »
@ worstje -Awesome! I'm gonna hire that cat next time I need some keyboard tracks laid down.  :Thmbsup:
 ;D

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #209 on: March 25, 2011, 09:37 AM »
Ugh, mouser!

After watching ~10 seconds of that video, I needed a healthy dose of Suicide Commando. Unfortunately I couldn't find any interesting videos to link to, but F*** You B**** would've been pretty appropriate - or perhaps Bind, Torture, Kill :)
- carpe noctem

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2011, 10:36 AM »
Linda Ronstadt!  My mom was a big fan when we were growing up.  I know all those songs by heart.  Strong voice.

gpetrant

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2011, 11:29 AM »
This one has a lot of meaning for me.  I first played it at my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary.  The room went quiet as we (my girlfriend and I) slowed danced alone on the dance floor.  We both started crying half way into the song and that's when I proposed to her.  It became our wedding song, and I still get emotional whenever I hear it.  So, I hope it touches you as deeply as it touched me: http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=m6VojYGrnpg       
Shywolf

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2011, 12:10 PM »

@gprant & mouser -
unfortunately both your videos are blocked here - could you please give a name with the link so they can be tracked down by people who cant see them?
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #213 on: March 25, 2011, 05:44 PM »
@gpetrant:
Seriously?!?  Marylin Manson (Sweet Dreams) on a 50th wedding anniversary?!?

The original song by the Eurythmics is good...and that one I would expect to be played on a 50th wedding anniversary. Annie Lennox sure has a great voice, especially in those days. And as covers go, Marylin manson did a marvellously good job with it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2011, 12:34 PM »
Here's one for present and future fans of dark cabaret. (If you don't know what dark cabaret is - look here.)

May I present Ms. Amanda Palmer and Mssr. Brian Viglione of Boston's own Dresden Dolls in a video of their song Coin-Operated Boy.

COB2.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!     COB4.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!     COB5.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!     COB3.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!

This video tells an interesting story. And it's been analyzed to death up on the web, often provoking strong reactions (pro and con) from both sexes. Pay close attention to the last five seconds of the video. Amanda Palmer puts her acting talents to use and leaves us with something that, while very subtle, should leave no doubt as to how to interpret the story - or understand where the girl in it is coming from.

Strange how often what passes for 'strength' is just another manifestation of sadness and despair.

8)

Great group. A little different - and maybe not everybody's cup of tea - but still a great group.

They're currently "on hiatus" and working on individual projects. But their website is up for any who are interested. Also visit Amanda Palmer's personal site here. Very intriguing lady with some interesting things to say. Check out her blog while you're at it. Very raw and honest. One of the few personal blogs I visit regularly.

Some excerpts from her blog commenting on the whole Rebecca Black Friday video phenemenon.

It's kinda long BTW
almost everybody can relate to rebecca black.
almost every pre-teen year-old girl in american is singing shit like this in living rooms and bedrooms after school, singing into that universal hairbrush, dreaming about being lady gaga, britney, avril, whoever, dreaming to be the pop-star that somehow signifies freedom, acceptance, awesomeness, status, happiness, success.

but the world has changed. the living room now has cameras and the cameras connect to youtube.

i wonder about this all the time…about what the fuck would have happened if i’d had all these tools of social connection online and ability to broadcast myself at 15.
i would have been SO FUCKED.
i was so eager to connect, so eager to share, so eager to be accepted, that no doubt my life would have been a narcissistic avalanche of facebook updates and groovy hipstamatic self-portraits taken by candlelight on the roof of my parents porch after getting stoned and scribbling on my online journal about how NOBODY FUCKING UNDERSTANDS ME and how I AM SUPPOSED TO BE A ROCK STAR and WHERE ARE THE FUCKING MEN IN THE FUCKING LIMO TO PICK ME UP AND DRIVE ME AWAY FROM THIS GODFORSAKEN SCHOOL AND THESE HORRIBLE PEOPLE WHO DONT UNDERSTAND ME IN THIS GODFORSAKEN SUBURB AND DRIVE ME TO WHEVER ROCK STARS ARE SO I CAN START MAKING MUSIC VIDEOS LIKE CYNDI LAUPER????

fortunately for me, this did not happen. the music i was writing and my singing voice at 15 were awful…like, REALLY awful. i was screamy, off-kilter-not-in-a pleasant-way, off-key….just…awful. i had not found my voice. i wasn’t a natural, not by a long shot. and autotune didn’t exist. i would have been FUCKED.

instead, i wrote, alone at the piano, cranked out bad song after bad song and conjured up imaginary masses in my narcissistic little imaginiation - i played for STADIUMS in the silence of my parent’s living room - and i dreamed of a “Yes, Someday” when i would actually access people. there was no internet access. there was no access.

rebecca black GOT that fantasy fulfilled.
the men in the limos came, in the form of ARK music factory.
unfortunately.
the girl’s career is over, and she’s only 13.
or is there hope?
is it possible that she can achieve anything without the shadow of this catastrophe?
and why does everybody care?
i put the lefsetz list at the bottom. it’s brilliant…thumbs up. all very right fucking on…

there’s a huge emotional component at play here as people all over the world lambast - and try to protect - a fleeting, (currently) unreachable icon.
even hitler’s got an opinion (hint: he had a bad reaction).

but the true question stays….can any good come of this?
does she have any hope of having a normal life after this?

------

from @lefsetz:
Rebecca Black Lessons

1. Selling recorded music is not the only way to make money in music. Ark Factory came up with a new way, ripping off the parents of little kids. Let this be a lesson to you, rather than complain that the old model is dead, innovate.

2. Old media loves to piggyback on new media. “Good Morning America” featured Rebecca Black as did “The Tonight Show”. Make noise and old media comes running.

3. Old media is last.

4. If you want to make an instant splash, you’re better off starting online instead of hiring a publicity agent and using old wave apparatus to dun old wave media.

5. Shelf life online is forever. Like a land mine waiting to be stepped on decades later, if you can Google it, it can always blow up. In other words, a spin on radio evaporates, a YouTube clip is waiting to explode.

6. Young kids want to play in the big time entertainment world. Having been sold prepubescent kids as talent, they ask themselves, why not me? This paradigm, like reality TV, will never die. But like reality TV, it’s only part of the landscape.

7. A tastemaker is anybody with an audience. In other words, Tosh.0’s got more impact than Lucian Grainge or Lyor Cohen. Tosh.0’s got an audience. If labels were smart, they’d figure out how to be a brand themselves and gain an audience independent of their roster, but they’re dumb.

8. YouTube hosts videos for free. Too much emphasis is being put on how much Rebecca Black is getting paid. More important is the mechanism that led to her fame. Used to be you had to pay independent promoters to get your track on radio, hoping to have it heard and discovered. Today airplay is free.

9. Music and video production are cheap. Rebecca Black’s mother paid Ark Factory two grand and got not only a song but a video. Not only does this beg why major label productions are so expensive, it reinforces the fact that anybody can play. In other words, if you’re bitching about needing money to make it in the music game, you’re playing by the old rules.

[note from AFP to lefsetz: there’s NO way that song and video cost only $2k. even if everybody at ARK worked for slave wages, or free - and why would they? - that wasn’t a $2k video. there’s another deal going on there. ARK has since posted a youtube vid “explaining their stance” - they sound clueless. labels do not “charge artists for videos”, etc. the whole thing is completely whack and someone needs to give the guys a lesson in bullshitting. see clueless scripted expose video HERE.]

10. Train-wreck is more important than quality if you want instant attention. If “Friday” weren’t bad, only mediocre, or mildly good, no one would care.

11. In the modern world everybody feels he’s entitled to express his opinion. Fifteen years of the World Wide Web have taught people this. Track comments more than spins. Comments demonstrate that people care. But for how long?

12. Don’t equate fame with being rich or longevity. Fame is oftentimes brief and oftentimes the famous make almost no cash. I.e. reality TV. But there’s an endless parade of wannabes willing to prostitute themselves for a bit of fame. Is it the human condition or a reflection of America, where the poor can no longer be rich and fame is a substitute?

13. Those in the old world pooh-pooh. Yesterday’s story was how little money Rebecca Black was making off her success. If you think it’s about money, you’ve lost the plot, it’s about fame. Furthermore, in the connected world, real money comes AFTER fame. It’s old wave CD thinking to believe people will pay up front to experience something new. It’s usually free and you figure out how to extend the life and profit from it afterward. With the mainstream media clamoring to feature Rebecca Black, she can get an agent and sign on as a host for Nick or Disney. Don’t think small, but big. Don’t think music, but fame. In other words, if all of today’s Top 40 acts want to start clothing lines, which have nothing to do with music, why should Rebecca Black be limited to the music field?

14. Give the money away. Not only does it deflect criticism, it helps your bona fides. In other words, Rebecca Black is smarter than Beyonce. In the new world, you give back simultaneously with making it. Black is giving her profits to earthquake relief in Japan. How come she’s smarter than all those stars who played for a dictator?

15. In the modern world, you’re part of your audience. Don’t place yourself above, but within.

16. If you’re twentysomething and have been slugging it out for years trying to make it don’t complain about Rebecca Black. She lives in a different world. To make it and last in music takes longer than it has since the seventies. The MTV era made stars overnight, which faded almost instantly. Now you gain traction slowly, only your fans know you, they spread the word online and you pray that you never gain a Rebecca Black moment, because that means you’ll be ridiculed and be toast.

17. To get a lot of people to pay attention very quickly you’ve got to get lucky. I.e. Tosh.0 directing fans to the Rebecca Black video. You cannot plot success, your career map is not set in stone, you get in the game and try to get lucky. Better to keep playing and fail than polish one track and hype it to high heaven.

18. You do not need radio or record stores to make it. There is no physical product, airplay didn’t break “Friday”. Anyone telling you you need a label is sorely mistaken.

19. Either go for train-wreck value or be exceptionally good. Yes, if you’re an “artist”, mediocre doesn’t cut it. The landscape is evanescent lowest common denominator crap or incredible art. In other words, if you’re not going to be the next Bob Dylan or Radiohead, stay in school.

20. Rebecca Black is a bigger story than SXSW, certainly than any band that played there. Question the old game. Instead of wasting money to make yourself feel good, stay home and think. Come up with something that truly gets us to turn our heads.

21. Scale is important to instant success. Tens of millions of people can watch a YouTube clip in weeks. Nowhere near that many can see you live.

22. Broadcasting once not only fails in radio, it fails in TV. We live in an on demand world. Rebecca Black’s video was available on demand on YouTube.

23. There are more people who want to glom on to a success and ride it to their own personal nirvana than can create something new and different and make it. In other words, there’s a cottage industry of prognosticators and analysts jumping on the Rebecca Black train for personal advancement, like ME!

via http://lefsetz.com/w...becca-black-lessons/

COB1.jpg

:)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:41 PM by 40hz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2011, 02:01 AM »
It's friday.

(Rebecca Black, Friday -- this song is making the rounds for being ridiculously bad but i honestly like the pureness of it)
I'm trying to have respect for the girl mousey, but other than TGIF I see zero appeal about that clip. The post-production that warps her voice grates my ears, the lyrics are horribly repetitive and the visuals itself are pretty plain.. so the only thing I can really respect her for is that she's not bouncing around like a girl who got lost on her way to the pool.

Now this is some epic music: clickety.
Ugh, mouser!

After watching ~10 seconds of that video, I needed a healthy dose of Suicide Commando. Unfortunately I couldn't find any interesting videos to link to, but F*** You B**** would've been pretty appropriate - or perhaps Bind, Torture, Kill :)

AAAaaand here's the antidote:

:D

MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2011, 04:11 AM »

I have to say the death metal remix is funnier.
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2011, 06:32 AM »
Fscking awesome, p3lb0x :D
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #218 on: April 03, 2011, 01:32 PM »
Fscking awesome, p3lb0x :D

+1. But I'd like it better if they also did some filter work on the video to give it a more death metal look...

f3.jpg

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #219 on: April 04, 2011, 01:34 AM »
They all pale in comparison to the brilliant version by Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Fallon (and The Roots). :D
http://www.hulu.com/...riday-with-the-roots

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2011, 02:34 AM »
damn.. that was good.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #221 on: April 04, 2011, 02:47 AM »
It's friday.

I prefer the "Bob Dylan" version.  ;D

They all pale in comparison to the brilliant version by Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Fallon (and The Roots). :D
http://www.hulu.com/...riday-with-the-roots

- Oshyan

Took me 2 hours to get my daughter to shut off her music so I could watch that video...worth the wait.

And this is something I came across the other day:

media_http30mediatumb_ufnhf.png.scaled500.png

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2011, 03:05 AM »
Awesome, app - both the audio and the comparison with The Beatles :)
- carpe noctem

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #223 on: April 04, 2011, 03:48 AM »
Haha, that is some 1st rate Bob Dylan impressionizing. Both the intonation and the rythm/cadence. Niiice.

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #224 on: April 04, 2011, 04:21 AM »
@app

re: Rebecca Black vs The Beatles

That was absolutely brilliant whoever came up with that! :Thmbsup: